Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Talon, Aroc, Vasudev and 1 other person like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    “Upcoming ~$450 CPU outperforms $320 CPU by 16%!!!”
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/9fzesx/upcoming_450_cpu_outperforms_320_cpu_by_16/
    D6Tl3OF.jpg
    Barb0n 77 points 5 hours ago
    "Correction “Upcoming ~$450 WATERCOOLED OC CPU outperforms $320 STOCK CPU by 16%!!!”"

Blacknightlll 44 points 5 hours ago
    “Just buy it"

Barb0n 10 points 4 hours ago
    "I love how the article specify that 0.5%"

BGummyBear 16 points 2 hours ago
    "Further correction. “Upcoming ~$450 WATERCOOLED OC CPU outperforms $320 STOCK CPU by 16%!!! for about fifteen minutes until it thermal throttles itself to death"

Comments

MGALLO848 17 hours ago
    "So:

Approx 16.5% faster then the R7 2700x
    Costs approx 35-40% more than the R7 2700x

Threadripper 1920x price was lowered to $399 this week. I wonder how it compares to that for about the same money."

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Talon, ajc9988 and Vasudev like this.
  3. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    rofl

still, if there is any possibility to run this in my machine ill upgrade to the 9900K :) combo of soldered IHS + voltage improvements should allow for improved perf/w compared to KBL and CFL. not an intel fanboy, just want to maximize the life span of my beloved DM :D if i were to configure a new desktop right now id go for a 2950X with a 1080 Ti :)

Talon, bennyg, ajc9988 and 2 others like this.
  4. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    I hear ya there. If you don't have to pay for other system components to upgrade, then this can make a fair bit of sense. But, double check if the VRM and inductors can handle the extra load from the 8-core at the higher clocks. Simple monitoring of the vrm temps (with a temp probe) and examination of power and current draw solves that.

As to the AMD system, sounds like my build, except I'm first gen and 980 Ti.

Yeah, that has been out for awhile. Once you combine it with their more recent statements on EUV adoption, etc., it looks even worse. Intel lost the process lead to TSMC. Full stop.

I expected higher numbers than 16%, closer to 20-25%. I'll withhold judgement until release, but that could effect when I recommend what on mainstream. Intel still has gaming, though (/s)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Talon, bennyg, hmscott and 1 other person like this.
  5. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    id expect to hit a thermal limit waaay before my VRMs come into play. so im guessing with a 9900K in this machine id have to use varying multipliers for different number of cores at load to get the most out of it :) plus an SL cherrypicked CPU is basically a must.

6. GrandesBollas

GrandesBollas Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think these are important considerations in evaluating compatibility with the new CPU. Saw this video today:

Not only is keeping VRMs cool going to be a factor, but also getting enough power into the motherboard. Several of the boards tested in that video failed the test due to current throttling.

Vasudev, Talon, hmscott and 1 other person like this.
  7. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Do I think the 4 phase could deliver the power needed? Yes. Do I think that it will pull more current and potentially effect the choke, which could cause more ripple? Yes. That latter part is more my concern than the former, although you do have a point on heat limitations. But, still, something to consider.
    I did see this. I've got an Asrock X399 taichi and I think I'd have better performance here, but I watercool my VRM and don't really get above 40C on them much at all with an overclocked 1950X. Water cooling the VRM is DEFINITELY the difference here. I didn't like how hot they got with the block Asrock has for a cooler.

But, beyond that, the Asrock has the same power capabilities as the Asus (but no control of the phase). I haven't checked how hot my chokes get though. Which, as those go, the ripple increases and you can get power spikes into the CPU, which then can cause sudden death. Also, for general phase info, Buildzoid put up a decent video discussing the topic at his youtube channel actuallyhardcoreoverclocking

Also, for videos, when possible, go to youtube to watch, and watch through the ads so that these content providers can get some monetization, even if not much.

Vasudev, jaybee83 and bennyg like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Hey, the 2 (that's a couple, not several) out of 4 motherboards that were designed for the new 2nd gen ThreadRipper CPU's worked great.

The motherboards that worked at stock settings with the 2990wx 32c/64t CPU were designed for the previous ThreadRipper #1 CPU's, with fewer cores than the 32c/64t 2990wx.

The 16c/32t 2950x is a better fit for those motherboards, being cheaper and suited for 1/2 the core/thread CPU's, and there is nothing wrong with them for that application.

Intel z370 motherboards were designed for the 6c/12t, so only the 9900k 8c/16t poses a larger power / cooling challenge, but that's nothing like doubling from 16c/32t to 32c/64t. Intel's slow pace of technology release plays into their favor for long generational CPU support, too bad they don't do that, until forced to by AMD progress.

Glad to see you are looking at AMD alternatives to Intel. :)

AMD's Ryzen CPU's (Ryzen/TR/Epyc) & Vega/Polaris GPU's
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ga-polaris-gpus.799348/page-512#post-10795435

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  9. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The Z370 motherboards (for the most part) will be fine with the 8 and 8/16 chips. Although I will admit if I upgrade to the 8/16 9900K which is very likely, I plan to grab a Maximus Z390 board to go with it as I sort of cheaped out on my Z370 Strix board. Not that I can't hit high clocks, I feel that in some way my board is still a limiting factor and 100% holds back my memory overclocks. I didn't buy expensive 4200Mhz DDR4 to not use it fully. I use my Tornado F5 as a prime example. It was designed for 4/8 CPUs at most, but handles the 6/12 8700K and 8086K perfectly fine.

Motherboard manufactures did say back at Computex that some X399 boards would not handle the new Threadripper CPUs when overclocked. I reported this here back then, and seems it holds true. 7nm TR should fix this issue though and allow for forward compatibility. :)

jaybee83 and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    The 9xxx CPU's were originally announced as 10nm Ice Lake parts, with a recent Intel promise of Ice Lake 10nm in end of 2019, now pushed out to 2020...with a new "Coffee Lake R put in it's place for 2019.

Leaked Intel Roadmap Hints At Coffee Lake R For 2019, 10nm Ice Lake Delayed To 2020
    By Talha Amjad, September 19, 2018
    https://segmentnext.com/2018/09/19/intel-roadmap-coffee-lake-r-2019/

"Intel has been having issues with the 10nm process, that is no secret and the chips that are going to come out this year, as well as the first half of 2019, will be based on the 14nm process for sure. Intel assured that the 10nm Ice Lake chipswill be out in the second half of 2019 but a new leaked Intel roadmap shows that the Ice Lake chips have been removed and replaced with Intel Coffee Lake R CPUs instead.

This means that the Intel 10nm process might be delayed to 2020. The process has been delayed time and time again and it would not be surprising if it was delayed yet again. Having that said, Intel is not only having issues with the 10nm process but with the production of 14nm chips as well.

Keeping in mind that the current generation of CPU use this process, which includes CPUs used not only by consumers but for the server market as well. Now the upcoming chips are going to use the same process so you can expect that there will be a shortage when it comes to yield and supply. You can check out the Intel roadmap below:

[​IMG]

There is little that we know about the upcoming Intel Coffee Lake R CPUs but if the name is anything to go by then these upcoming chips will offer small improvements over the current Intel chips that we have on the market.

It is worth mentioning that these internal roadmaps often change and it is possible that the Ice Lake comes back on track in the near future but if Intel Coffee Lake R is going to come out next year then that certainly means that Ice Lake has been delayed and that other chips based on the 10nm process will come out in 2020 instead of 2019, as promised.

Let us know what you think about all this and whether or not you think Intel Coffee Lake R will replace Ice Lake in the roadmap for 2019."

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018