Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think this trend of segmenting product stacks to this variety has been going on for a long time. It’s not really anything new. CPU quality varies quite a bit and for as long as I’ve been into PC hardware both Intel and AMD have been offering products with varying clockspeeds even though deep down it’s the same chip. Demanding Intel create perfect identical quality chips isn’t realistic. And it’s this very imperfection that gives consumers options at all budgets.

I think Intel and AMD have realized though that some consumers are willing to pay just a bit extra for a slightly higher quality chip. It’s the reason silicon lottery is still in business today. It’s the reason we had 1700, 1700x and 1800x. Then the 2700 and 2700x. And now we have the 3700x and 3800x. If there wasn’t a demand there wouldn’t be a product.

At the end of the day it’s a CPU being made in small quantities. It’s going to have a short production cycle before Comet Lake 10 series chips arrive in a few months. I’m more excited about Cascade Lake X chips and their hugely discounted pricing.

Mr. Fox, Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Exactly the same for graphics cards.

From what I remember, Amd is readying a chips between 3700x and 3800X. Nothing from the waffer plate will be spilled:) Too big loss use it as 3700X:D

The worst in Tech industri is still Max-Q.

Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Note: This post was moved from the "Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc" thread to here, and this thread has no Xeon in it only 9900k/ks, 9700k, 9600k and similar CPU's, I'll Report this error, but until then - Enjoy :)
    Your post in the thread Ryzen vs i7 (Mainstream); Threadripper vs i9 (HEDT); X299 vs X399; Xeon vs Epyc was moved to Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390.

Note also that discussion of the Ryzen 9 3650x not coming with a boxed fan is a current news topic, so I thought the recall on the Intel Xeon boxed cooler more appropriate in the Intel Xeon vs Ryzen thread instead of this 9900k thread - the 9900k which doesn't come with a box cooler...

Is this really a surprise? Who ever uses the Intel box cooler? Whenever I see a build with one it's the first thing I recommend to change - right after I push the "pins" in to seat the heatsink to stop the incredibly quick thermal throttling.

Intel Recalls Quad Core Xeon CPU Because of Inadequate Stock Cooler
    by Anton Shilov on November 14, 2019 11:00 AM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/15107/intel-recalls-cpu

"Intel this week recalled one of its boxed processors because the bundled cooling system the company supplied was insufficient and the CPU may not have performed as intended. For any Intel partners with stock, this specific chip is being recalled and those who need the chip are recommended to use a tray/OEM version which does not come bundled with a cooler and thus use your own.

The processor in question is the boxed quad-core Xeon E-2274G (Coffee Lake) with a TDP of 83 W. The boxed CPU was supplied with Intel’s DHA-A heatsink (PN: E97378-003) that apparently cannot cool down the chip is all types of its use cases, which is why Intel now has to recall it. The cooling system has been used by Intel for CPUs with an 84 W TDP since at least 2013, which makes the whole recall bizarre.

Intel’s distributors are advised to return existing inventory of the boxed Xeon E-2274G product and get a tray version instead. It is unclear whether Intel intends to release a new boxed version of its Xeon E-2274G processor with a new cooler, but for now the company recommends to use tray version of the chip with a proper third-party cooling device."

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Linus gets 5.1ghz on the 9900KS on a water cooling behemoth. Love to see the price on that baby, what a build. :)

Intel's PRE-OVERCLOCKED CPU... Core i9 9900KS
    Linus Tech Tips
    Published on Nov 18, 2019
    When Digital Storm offered to send a fully custom, decked out Aventum X with Intel’s new Core i9 9900KS CPU, how could I say no?