Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    yep, exactly why im not completely convinced of the 2960xm upgrade yet. the 2760qm runs just fine in her machine, although temps reach mid to high 80s under heavy workloads.

and no, her machine never officially received any support for quadcores ;) thats the fun part about it haha

Sent from my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (Oxygen) using Tapatalk

ajc9988 likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Checkout this video about disabling HT, J used the 8700k for testing but comes to the conclusion that HT isn't that important for gaming, and suggests saving $ and getting the 9xxxKF => CPU's without HT, when building new PC's.

Now it makes sense why Intel came out with a whole line of HT-less CPU's, they are more secure without HT in current architecture. Might as well save the silicon real estate, power, thermals, (and $?) and get HT-less to start.

Is Hyper-Threading Even Necessary? ZombieLoad Impact Testing (8700k)
    JayzTwoCents
    Published on May 20, 2019
    Well Intel has once again found itself at the center of another CPU Flaw/Exploit... this time the only way to completely mitigate the threat on a local level is to turn off Hyper-Threading on its CPUs... so what does that mean for performance loss?? Let's find out!
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ke-z370-and-z390.809268/page-42#post-10913286

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    ajc9988 and joluke like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    jaybee83, hmscott, Robbo99999 and 2 others like this.
  4. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Intel doesn't seem interested in shutting its doors just yet, as the common wisdom seems to indicate. :D:D:D

That i9-9900KS is still on that 'ancient' 14nm++ node too. :D:D:D

I thought they lost the race since everyone else is at 7nm now. :rolleyes:

5. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Talk about short sighted!

Meanwhile, the 9900KS is like what the 8086K was: a binned variant that reaches a couple hundred MHz higher. They finally binned enough that they could release that and charge a premium. Pricing and availability (both volume and time frame for release) are unknown.

Moreover, while you smugly make the comment, you miss that the competition is likely to release their product before this hits the market.

So I wouldn't take the position you are yet. But, it is a new product and is something to look at. Now, how will this fit in with the upcoming comet lake is my question.

hmscott likes this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Nah, not short-sighted. See the quote I included in my post?

Doesn't matter what the 'KS is. Seems like it will likely be the new hotness when it's released. And at 14nm++ too! ;)

7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    8086K had same 6 core boost as 8700K. With 9900KS you'll get 300MHz extra all over the cores. Or better say real 5.0GHz for each and everyone out there (Average Joe):)

Robbo99999 and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. ajc9988

ajc9988 Death by a thousand paper cuts

Reputations:
    Believe what you want. When a 6-core at 4GHz is beating the 2700X, it says the 8-core variants at way better pricing is going to take more of the market, especially since the KS will likely have a premium over the K/KF chips.

And tell me what the TDP is? That's right, you can't (no one can yet). Almost all of the chips could already reach 5GHz all core with enough voltage. So that argument does not fly. Intel likely took the best binned chips, then took up more of the headroom with stock clocks, and you get this.

That isn't to say that the binning and speed achieved is not impressive. It is to say there is more at play.

jaybee83 likes this.
  9. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Yeah, there is more at play here. More than you care to admit to. ;)

TDP, $$$, and everything else you're trying to throw at Intel here to diminish this announcement is not important when the goal is the performance, period.

I usually translate 'performance' into an all-encompassing 'productivity' increase when all aspects of the platform as a whole are included.

A slightly higher, one-time cost. A few $$$ more a year in power costs or other non-important aspects does not diminish the productivity gained.

Especially for someone like me that won't overclock at all. I'll simply test and use the platform as-is and actually buy it if/when it proves better than the Intel platforms I currently have now. And, it's better enough to make a $$$$$ investment in it too. :)

10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations: