Intel Core i9-9900k 8c/16t, i7-9700K 8c/8t, i7-9600k 6c/6t 2nd Gen Coffee Lake CPU's + Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel’s Flagship 9th Generation Core i7-9700K To Pack 8 Cores, 16 Threads
    https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-9700k-9th-gen-8-cores-16-threads-rumor/

"Based on the recent Intel leaks, Chinese sources are further reporting through information acquired from motherboard makers in Taiwan that Intel’s next generation, 9th generation flagship will pack more cores than the current fastest mainstream processor.

Intel’s Core i7-9700K 9th Generation Flagship To Feature 8 Cores, 16 Threads – Core i5 and Core i3 Get Upgrades Too

There was no doubt that Intel’s 9th generation mainstream processors weren’t going to receive a core bump in the coming year. There were leaked slides already hinting that and next year means Intel will be getting enough time to tweak their process and architecture design to accommodate more cores.

Straight from HKEPC, who were able to get information out of Taiwan motherboard makers, it has been rumored that the 9th generation flagship which will be known as the Intel Core i7-9700K, will pack 8 cores and 16 threads. There’s no mention of what process technology the new processors will be utilizing but I believe it’s an updated version of the current 14nm++ process. There’s also a interesting rumor regarding the Core i5 and Core i3 series of processors too.

It’s easy to tell the Coffee Lake was an immediate and rushed response to AMD’s Ryzen but with 9th generation, Intel will have a good amount of time to release a strong competitor. The AMD Pinnacle Ridge family is expected to debut next year and will be using tweaked Zen cores for improved performance leverage and greater efficiency. There’s no mention of core bump at the moment but AMD might take that path since the core wars between Intel and AMD are on the rise in both main stream and HEDT segments."
    Intel’s Flagship 9th Generation Core i7 9700K To Pack 8 Cores, 16 Threads

AIDA64 Adds Support For Unreleased Intel CPUs – Includes Core i9 Mobile Processors, 9th Generation CPUs and New Coffee Lake Desktop CPUs
    https://wccftech.com/intel-unreleased-cpus-core-i9-8th-9th-gen-aida64-support/

"AIDA64 has added a list of unreleased Intel CPUs for support in their latest Beta release. The new AIDA64 Extreme Beta version can identify a list of CPUs that have not been released to consumers yet but may be headed for launch soon.

AIDA64 BETA Adds Support For Several Unreleased Intel CPUs – An Entire Army of 8th and 9th Generation Desktop / Mobile CPUs Launching Soon?
    So, just to make clear, these chips may or may not launch anytime soon, but they have been defined by Intel themselves as indicated by Videocardz. Generally, such CPUs end up showing in databases early in production when they are tested by the manufacturer themselves or information is passed along."
    AIDA64-Intel-i9-series.png
    Leo Says Ep4: - Intel screw the pooch!
    13:47 Loads of new Coffee Lake CPUs announced including mobile Core i9-8950HK
    15:28 Intel Z390 chipset due in H2 2018, presumably alone with 8 core Coffee Lake CPU

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    Georgel likes this.
  2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I like how intel is still panicking. They realize how much better Ryzen actually is that it's not even funny.

triturbo, Maleko48, jaybee83 and 2 others like this.
  3. boe

boe Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I don't need 16 more cores but I'd love about twice the number of PCIe lanes.

Maleko48, laserbullet and hmscott like this.
  4. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    While I like Ryzen, other than the bug issue right now I do not see it as better than Intel. I see them as a viable, affordable option. In certain circumstances the Ryzen chipsets and configurations may make one platform advantageous over the other but that then relies more on use specifics.

5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "updated 14nm++"

........ 14nm+++?

The "10nm is dead, long live 14nm" bandwagon is going strong

jaybee83, mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Apparently 10nm isn't performing - no improvement's from 10nm process over 14nm, in fact worse performance.

Intel delays Cannonlake 10nm processor for the third time
    Intel has delayed its 10nm processor Cannon Lake for the third time, reports Digitimes, because of 10nm production problems.
    https://www.electronicsweekly.com/n...cannonlake-10nm-processor-third-time-2017-09/

The Price of Intel Corporation’s 10-Nanometer Failure
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.nasd...orporations-10-nanometer-failure-cm821414/amp

Little choice but to continue using what works.

Lucky for AMD they have TSMC, with great 7nm results so far, and 5nm + 3nm plants underway for 2019 and 2020 respectively.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Maleko48, jaybee83 and mason2smart like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    9th Gen Intel CPUs Bring 8 Cores & Hyper-threading To i5/i3?!
    Intel's 9th generation CPUs are rumored to bring 8 cores to their mainstream line and up their i5 and i3 CPUs! Stay tuned...

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    That is not how I read it.

10nm isn't performing enough better (not simply yields/performance - but also cost of moving to that node too) than what 3rd gen 14nm is already, or 'close enough', delivering already.

Another point that is constantly missed when pointing out how Intel is still 'failing' (lol...) is that process nodes between different fabs aren't comparable in the slightest. Not from a cost stand point, not form a TDP stand point, not from a performance stand point and not from an optimized node stand point either.

When Intel decides to move to the next node it wants to support; the problems will have already been cleared up without spending dollar one on ramping up production on these intermediate nodes first...

Intel is doing what I keep recommend doing too; namely; keep using what you have until you find something with superior performance without any other aspect changing on your platforms. There is no sin in this; some may even call it smart in some circles.

The first link is comical - a random internet blurb about another internet blurb - saying what Intel is supposed to have said. Yawn.

The second link doesn't even load for me right now - I've tried from three of my primary connections to the 'net and the page hangs.

In the end; Intel is delivering more than enough to not only stay competitive with AMD - but also with the previous products it had available to us that want/need them.

Getting stuck on something effectively irrelevant (today) as an 'Xnm' process node is sure showing how low and picky we have to get to find any small fault with the still king of the processors in x86 land as we near the end of 2017... ;)

And the recent postings of Intel's latest introduced platforms are even more promising as the details keep trickling in. :)

9. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I think you are missing the point. t is that where Intel was looking to go to 10nm it was trying to distance itself even further from AMD. Since it will not get and advantage AMD now has 12nm and 14 nm+ or even 14nm++ to look forward too in the near future. This and 7nm is up for grabs for both Intel and AMD as far as time frame and relative gains.

10. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Oh, I understand that things can change and very quickly too. No doubt Intel has something ready for that eventuality...

Right now though? Intel has a comfortable lead over AMD in many, if not most aspects of productivity - even on AMD's 'more cores' is better push...

More cores is better (when other performance aspects don't change - i.e. high single core perf), smaller nodes are eagerly anticipated - for their power and performance improvements and all of that and more will come to a boil when it does.

Right now? The distance from AMD to Intel is even greater than it was after Ryzen was released earlier this year, just like I hoped and somewhat predicted (i.e. my stating to 'wait for Intel's response...' before claiming the processor crown for AMD).

Process nodes are but just one way to move forward. Intel has proven that with Kaby Lake R.

I'm still interested in the overall platform they deliver - not the details of that platform, per se - and deliver, they do. ;)