Intel Core i7-9700K 8c/16t Coffee Lake Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Nov 27, 2017.

1. FastMover

FastMover Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

To be honest, Intel's discounts on the 7700k don't even really make it a bargain. The delta between Kaby and coffee is like 40-50$ might as well go for coffee.

Point I am making is, coffee lake will attract more people moving forward. It's future proofing. More and more games are optimizing for multi thread work loads. AMD is betting on multithread optimization and I think it's a valid bet. Intel is behind, and they know that they have been resting on their reputation and now need to start inovating.

hmscott likes this.
  2. Georgel

Georgel Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I gamer exclusively at 4K , 1080ti is pretty much enough for most things . Like 99% of things

KY_BULLET, jaybee83 and TANWare like this.
  3. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The point being most games at 4K on 1080TI do not get better frame rates with Intel or AMD. This is about a wash. Until Intel has their 8 core though AMD is the better at other workloads.

hmscott likes this.
  4. FastMover

Reputations:
    Its rumored that AMD is working on a 10 core Ryzen platform. AMD may actually outplay Intel for once. I only hope.

Vasudev likes this.
  5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Maybe you have already forgot Intel's move vs. Ryzen Threadripper™
    in Hedt platform Intel® Core™ i9-7980XE Extreme Edition Processor

And why can't Intel push similar move for mainstream? Or at least same amount cores.

KY_BULLET and Vasudev like this.
  6. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The problem may be that these rumors center around 7nm, without 10 nm Intel may be in trouble, then again maybe not. This is all just talk for now until we see actual silicon.

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  7. FastMover

Reputations:
    AMD does have 10core yes, but that is not for enthusiast class and also that it is not on the standard Ryzen platform. Rumor has it, they are working on a 10 core RYZEN CPU that will socket into the 470 socket or whatever is after that. So, in essence, the Ryzen 2700 2800 will not be the top for that chipset.

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Don't expect Intel will deliver less core vs. what AMD will offer (whatever platform) Hedt or mainstream.

9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Where Is Intel's Z390? It's NOT At Computex...
    Hardware Unboxed
    Published on Jun 7, 2018

10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    According to the newest rumor, which is still all we have on the new Z390 and related CPU's, there will be several new model numbers, not just the 8c/16t CPU, and it looks like I'll need to ask for a thread title change. :)

Exclusive: Intel Core i9 Coming To Z390 Mainstream Platform, Core i9-9900K Flagship And Other Parts Names Leaked
    By Usman Pirzada, Jun 27, 2018
    https://wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-coming-to-z390-mainstream-platform-core-i9-9900k-flagship/

"Intel will be updating its mainstream platform very soon and I have some new information about the Z390 chipset. First is a branding unveil: Intel’s Core i9 naming schema is finally coming to mainstream desktop processors. We haven’t heard of a Core i3 part yet and that is an interesting development which could mean a couple of things.

Intel Z390 platform part names leaked: Intel Core i9-9900K flagship to lead the lineup
    So the entire discussion about Z370 and Z390 can now be put to rest. It will be called the Intel Z390 chipset and not the Z370 chipset. The second big unveil is that Intel is bringing its i9 branding to the mainstream desktop platform. This is a very interesting move from intel because the company has already rolled out an i9 branded part on the mobility side as the Core i9-8950HK.

Without further ado, here is the final nomenclature scheme of the updated Z390 mainstream lineup:
    • Intel Core i9-9900K (est: 8 core / 16 thread)
    • Intel Core i7-9700K (est: 6 core / 12 thread)
    • Intel Core i5-9600K (est: 6 core / 6 thread)
    While we don’t have exact specifications of the parts yet, the mere fact that the top SKU will be branded i9 means it will have more cores than the i7 variant. Rumor has it, that the i9-9900K is going to be an 8 core / 16 thread part to compete with AMD’s Ryzen processors. This would make sense not only from a marketing perspective, but from a positioning perspective as well as the company does not have an 8 core right now that could go head to head against AMD’s Ryzen mainstream lineup which maxes out at 8 cores.
    [​IMG]
    It would also mean that the i7 and i5 parts are going to be 6-core / 12 threads and 6 core / 6 threads (no HT) parts respectively which can go head to head against AMDs offerings and will represent the first time that Intel’s mainstream lineup did not have a quad core. This is also where the case of the missing Core i3 comes in. We did not see that part listed in the documents which could mean either of two things: either the company is dropping the i3 branding from the mainstream listing for now (unlikely) or it will be coming under a staggered launch later on.

It does not make financial sense to not sell quad core chips since yield theory would make these one of the more lucrative options for Intel. The Intel Z390 PCH block diagram has been provided in the product brief which shows two very interesting things. The Intel Z390 chipset isn’t a huge leap over the Z370 chipset, something that we had already mentioned in the previous articles related to the Z390. Secondly, the chipset has brought the same featureset that was recently launched on the entry level boards but not given on the Z370 boards that launched last year.

These new features are already available on the mainstream motherboards (excluding the Z370 chipset) and include:
    • Intel Wireless-AC 802.11 AC and Bluetooth 5.0
    • Intel Wireless-AC Adapter
    • Up To 6 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Ports
    [​IMG]
    On the Z370 motherboards, manufacturers who want to provide these features have to go with third-party controllers which raises the costs. The Z390 chipset motherboards will have solutions that will make use of the chipset provided the feature set to save costs while high-end boards can still opt for third-party controllers for delivering better capabilities."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Georgel, sicily428 and jaybee83 like this.