Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    We can only pray, my friend :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingofswag187 likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Seems you people have forgot that there is already soldered an 4th fan header on the P870TM motherboard. And the coming 8 cores will most likely be the same 95w TDP. And much can be done with better and stronger fans.

Ashtrix, raz8020, Vasudev and 3 others like this.
  3. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Not forgotten that at all bro. Just feel that watercooling would be cool (pardon the pun), but is likely to remain a dream for the near future. I am looking forward to the 4th fan and hopefully a better keyboard. @Phoenix

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingofswag187 likes this.
  4. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The best part, is that the fan is smaller, the fins on the CPU heatsink are smaller and it lost the top fins with the heatpipe going around, it has half the previous fin area, that is some smart cost cutting /s...

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Core i9 Done Right! - Acer Helios 500
    Dave Lee
    Review of the Acer Predator Helios 500. The most powerful gaming laptop from Acer. With an overclockable i9 - 8950HK, GTX 1070 and up to 64 gigs RAM, the Helios 500 delivers some crazy performance. This is one of the best performing laptops for the price. Excellent thermal performance with easily upgraded hardware. Acer did a fantastic job on this. It's not as durable as an Alienware device but it will be cheaper and lighter with awesome performance.

Tweety78, bennyg and Vasudev like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Not much better Processor performance results from this review of Alienware 17R5 and i9-8950Hk either.

upload_2018-7-23_5-32-51.png

At least not 100C. Saved by Power limit Throttling?:rolleyes:
    upload_2018-7-23_5-37-22.png

7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  8. Papusan

Reputations:
    It’s time to call out laptop manufacturers for their ******** CPU throttling
    Exactly what I have said several times latest years... Don't put all the blame on Intel. Up to the OEM's make/design a cooling capable to cool the BGA chips. The damn STUPID idea FORCED ON ALL... THIN and flimsy madness must STOP!!

When we talked to Intel about the Core M situation, the company explained that it had given OEMs more freedom to set certain specifications for their own systems. One example the company gave was skin temperature: If OEMs wanted to specify a low skin temperature that had the side effect of keeping the CPU clock speed from turboing as high as a competitive system from a different OEM that traded a higher skin temperature for better thermal performance, that was fine by Intel — even if it also meant two systems with the same CPU might perform very differently.
    OEMs Should Create Guaranteed Non-Throttling Systems
    There’s an opportunity in all of this mess if companies are brave enough to seize it. Instead of shipping laptops that rely on false claims and customer apathy concerning a global problem in the industry, OEMs could certify that their laptops don’t throttle. Instead of simply assuming that customers demand thinness at the expense of all else, try offering performance-maximized systems that deliver what they claim instead of obfuscating it.
    This consumer-hostile, ******** behavior needs to stop and it needs to stop now.

Inte'l wont Stop sell their chips to the OEM's or claim that they create better cooling... It's a reason Intel put 45w TDP for the unlocked $600 usd i9-8950Hk... What the OEM's will do with the i9 BGA chips... Doesn't really matter for Intel. Higher sales beats the Throttling mess or bad reputation!!

It's a reason I created my newest Avatar as it is last fall. My avatar show my feelings about today's Tragedy in tech world... See above. Everything is a mess.

Edit. I have put up the "Crippling Performance with all types dirty tricks" on the agenda long time ago. Also in this thread... How Dell cripple performance. And as you probably know... Dell ain't alone doing this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    "The chances that this happens in an industry devoted to squeezing out every nickel of profit as opposed to delivering a superior customer experience is negligible. But it’s what ought to happen. Either way, we’re through tolerating this behavior. We’re not claiming Apple was the first company to cross the line between “flexible configurations” and “Unacceptable throttling,” but the line has been crossed. This consumer-hostile, ******** behavior needs to stop and it needs to stop now."

Ashtrix, Vasudev, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  10. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I agree.