Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. yrekabakery

yrekabakery Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    And out of the top 11 noisiest (>=60dB):

[​IMG]

5/11: MSI
    3/11: Aorus
    3/11: Clevo LGA

Hmmm...

2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Some Intel Core i9 laptops are not running any faster than a Core i7
    There are generational performance leaps, and then there is pure marketing. The Core i9 series has so far been leaning towards the latter in terms of raw performance. In some cases, the CPU may even be slower than the Core i7.

The Coffee Lake-H Core i9 series, however, has been a mixed bag. When compared to the Core i7-8750H, the Core i9-8950HK can range from anywhere between 0 percent to 30 percent faster in multi-threaded workloads. In other words, some laptops are selling at premium Core i9 prices while providing a performance level very similar to that of a cheaper Core i7 configuration.

We've already tested a handful of Core i9 laptops including the Aorus X9 DT, MSI GT75, Asus Chimera G703GI, Alienware 15 R4, and the Eurocom Q8. The latter two in particular return disappointing CineBench R15 results with scores not unlike some competing laptops with the less expensive Core i7-8750H. The graph below illustrates how a number of Core i9 laptops are curiously underperforming despite being an unlocked HK-class processor.

---------------------------------------------------

Yeah, lets start with latest review of Alienware 15 R4 and Alienware 17 R5. Both with unlocked i9-8950Hk and adverticed with 5.0GHz.

The first notebook with the Intel Core i9-8950HK in the test, the new Alienware 15 R4-techtest.org
    [​IMG]

Clock, temperature and volume
    Let's start with a few problems. Alienware advertises the 15 R4 in combination with the i9-8950HK up to 5GHz. The i9-8950HK has no 5GHz, but only 4.8GHz. The missing 200Mhz come from an OC fashion. This OC mode did not work so well for me. In the Alienware control center this is active, but the clock initially does not exceed 4.8 GHz in any situation. Until then after several reboots suddenly 4.9GHz were seen, but not the advertised 5GHz. Maybe this is because I reinstalled Windows and there is a bug somewhere, but in the end, I decided that this 200MHz would not make the roast fat.

As with all current notebook CPUs, you have to enjoy the clock very carefully. The i9-8950HK has no 4.8GHz, but only 2.9GHz.

Anything over 2.9GHz is a bonus, depending on how many cores your load, how the temperature is, etc.

If you only load individual cores and this only for a short time, these 4.8 GHz are also achieved. Therefore, the single core performance of the Alienware 15 R4 is also extremely strong.

However, if all 6 cores are loaded at the same time, as in a video export, the clock falls to 3.0-3.4 GHz. Here the i9 reaches its 45W PowerLimit.

[​IMG]
    The temperature will settle here depending on the fan setting at 78-84 degrees. For a short while, during the boost to 4.8GHz but also just under 100 degrees are reached!

-----------------------------------------------

upload_2018-7-19_15-33-4.png

3. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Vasudev, sicily428, Ashtrix and 5 others like this.
  4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Vasudev, Ashtrix and bennyg like this.
  5. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Eurocom, are you nuts?

How can this cooling keep an i9 in check when the i7 8750H IN THE SAME CHASSIS can barely remain operational in the smaller Q6 (with the same heat sink config) without an undervolt?

[​IMG]

6. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    **** this, here's the chassis of the Q6:

[​IMG]

And this is with the i7 8750H. Clearly separate heatsinks for both the CPU AND the GPU.

So, why, in the seven hells does the Q8's chassis insist on a fused heatsink assembly? In what alternate universe is THIS a good idea? Who, at Clevo, designed this atrocious, half-assed cooling system?
    What happened to Quality Control? Because this is the kind of **** you DO NOT LAUNCH.

raz8020, Vasudev and ThePerfectStorm like this.
  7. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    This isn't even marketing, its' sabotage.

Quick one, do these vendors actually have a QA department? Is there someone tasked with the job of actually testing a product for fitness of use before launch?

How does this make it past QA?

I get it, all these fellows (Apple included) care primarily on generating sales, but at this rate, this is self sabotage.

raz8020, Vasudev and Vistar Shook like this.
  8. ThePerfectStorm

ThePerfectStorm Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I just hope they don't mess up the P870TM1's successor, which will have an 8-core CFL-S Processor and 1180 to cool. Please Clevo. Don't mess that up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hopefully, but DTR seem to have been going to the way of do-do

10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The closed loop internal watercooling setup in the P870x is yet to be seen...

But yes, Clevo don't screw it up with insane rubbish for your halo product like 480W system limit

Ashtrix, raz8020, Vasudev and 2 others like this.