Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I bet most of them use CUDA acceleration and 6MB/9MB will not make a day/night difference.

2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quadro GPU would be a better investment than the Xeon I would say,

raz8020 likes this.
  3. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It depends on the expectation for the overall quality (those that are CPU based result in higher quality) and the complexity of the model (if it doesn't fit in vRam, you don't have any benefits with CUDA).

Not all (but most) of the CAD and BIM apps have a considerable increase in FPS with pro cards, but yeah, if the price difference isn't an issue, then a pro card will provide greater benefits.

Between 8850H (that could be OC'ed by 400Mhz) and the similarly spec xeon, there shouldn't be any considerable difference (the 8850H might be advantaged if it could hold those +400 clocks, but this would seem highly unlikely if we consider how crippled (EC, BIOS, Cooling) are the majority of the BGA notebooks).

The best all around CPU with a good price/performance ratio (high clocks for a more fluid experience in viewport for most of those processes that can't use multiple cores and 12 threads + high clocks that are mostly maintained with a 95wTDP CPU, for better rendering times) would be a 8700k (or 8086k, but this one is still new and currently in testing) on a a well cooled clevo from a Prema partner (so you could exploit the full performance potential limited only by the laptop's cooling potential and not be limited by power throttling and other arbitrary imposed throttling mechanisms).

Vistar Shook and Papusan like this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think H chips can overclock at all!
    More complex the model say 16GB or more, it simply is better to go for CPU acceleration since it will be faster than copying data to/fro from CUDA/OpenCL device(s).
    @Fungus99 Are you a consumer or prosumer?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Vistar Shook and raz8020 like this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also remember a cache miss will have a bigger penalty with slower main memory too so don't go the xeon then cheap out on the single stick 2133mhz option...

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With ECC=ON the penalty is pretty bad, its like running 1st gen core i series chip at 1GHz.

Dennismungai and Vistar Shook like this.
  7. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    OT, but sketchbook doesn’t belong in that list of cad programs; the circles are polygons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vistar Shook likes this.
  8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    New Awful Cinebench R15 results. And the reviewer can't even see it or understand it on it's own. + the reviewer from Pcmag seems he don't understand he compare 6 vs. 4 coreso_O
    Alienware 17R5 review-uk.pcmag.com

The 6 core i9-8950Hk in Alienwares new flagshipbook even killed in Photoshop by yesterdays 4 core i7-7820Hk (Razebook Pro 2017). + Cinebench R15 - 1036cb is awful results from an 6 core Cpu.
    upload_2018-6-16_2-34-6.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There aren't many Acer Helios 500 benchmark / gaming results videos out there, so turn on Auto-Translate English (or whatever) to watch these German vid's :)

Acer Predator Helios 500 Game Test - Fortnite - PubG - BF1 - CSGO
    NO-miss
    Published on Jun 24, 2018
    Hi, due to your requests, I've tested a par games on the new Helios 500 (8750H + 1070) for you.

In the Test:
    - Fortnite 01:42 Min.
    - Battlefield 1 04:01 Min.
    - Counterstrike Go 05:21 Min.
    - Players unknown Battlegrounds 07:41 Min.

Acer Predator Helios 500 Gaming Notebook - Review Deutsch

NO-miss
    Published on Jun 18, 2018
    Hi, here's a review on the new Acer Helios 500.
    In the video you can see my impression of the notebook, unboxing and a game test with BF1 and Players Unknown Battlegrounds.

Technical:
    17.3 "Full HD 1920x 1080p Display 144Hz, G-Sync
    Intel Core I7 8750H 6x 2.1 -
    4.1GHz Nvidia GTX 1070 -8GB
    16GB DDR4 Memory
    256GB SSD + 1TB HDD
    Windows 10

raz8020 and Vasudev like this.
  10. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Expectation vs reality

When you're glad that you managed to find a good deal: a relatively cheap laptop equipped with a gtx 1050 Ti and an 8750H that doesn't overheat with the factory paste, no matter what you throw at it (those who said that all coffee lake laptops run hot, haven't seen The Ultimate Force from ASUS)...

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/19725-asus-tuf-fx504ge-review/

"Asus thermally limited our sample, which means that the CPU drops below its maximum Turbo Boost Speeds once the package reaches temperatures on high 70s – low 80s. As a result, the benchmarks scored lower on this sample than on other laptops built on the i7-8750H processor we’ve tested in the past.
    With games the CPU drops quickly to about 1.7 GHz, but the GPU runs well and the gaming experience isn’t affected much. At the same time the 6-core CPU doesn’t help.

[​IMG]

The undervolting has a very little impact on the gaming performance, as the CPU continues to drop to about 1.7 GHz in some of the more demanding titles, but not as fast as it does with the default voltage.

[​IMG]

All in all our FX504GE sample performed out of the box poorer than other laptops built on the Coffee Lake Core i7 platform we’ve tested in the past. Asus aggressively limits the CPU’s speeds based on temperatures and the limit is set low, at about 80 degrees Celsius, which causes the lower benchmark results and poorer performance in demanding chores. This could be addressed on the final retail units with software tweaks, but if the hardware were to run hotter, the increased internal temperatures would also translate in the outer-case reaching higher temperatures, which as you’ll see in the next section, is already quite unpleasant.
    Asus implemented a rather standard, but deprecated by today’s standards imo, cooling solution on the FX504 series, with two fans that flank the hardware and two heat-pipes, a thicker one that spreads on top both the CPU and GPU, and an extra thinner one that goes just on top of the GPU
    On top of that, the intake grills on the bottom are limited, albeit the design might suggest otherwise, as the air only gets in through 4 small cuts, two on each side. I’d reckon this has something to do with the dust defender solution implemented on this line, but it also has a negative impact on the cooling’s performance imo. Combine the two together and you get a fair explanation for the CPU’s thermal limitations.
    With games the fans get noisy, averaging 51-52 dB at head-level, so you’ll need headphones to cover them up. Asus offers three Fan profiles (Silent, Auto and Fan-Boost), and we used the Auto profile in our tests. The fans are much quieter while running games on the Silent mode, but the CPU and GPU also run 10-15 degrees hotter (the CPU reaches low 80s and the GPU reaches 90s) and I wouldn’t recommend playing games on this mode for too long. So keep the laptop on the Auto Fan mode, or on Fan-Boost if you’re using headphones.

[​IMG]

It’s also strange that the laptop’s interior and keyboard deck runs hotter than the bottom, which suggests perhaps some arguable design decisions or some issues with our test unit."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-TUF-FX504GD-Core-i5-8300H-GTX-1050-Laptop-Review.303266.0.html

"CPU performance is a mixed bag. While single-thread performance is excellent and where we expect it to be for an i5-8300H, multi-thread performance is about 20 percent slower than the average i5-8300H. Even the two-generations old i7-6700HQ in the MSI GE72VR is able to handily outperform the i5-8300H in our FX504 according to CineBench benchmarks. We double-checked that the High Performance profile was in place and repeated the tests to be sure, but scores would never improve."

Well... at least it's a bit faster than a 8250U (with unmodified power limits)!

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.
  11. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    And my 4720hq scores 702(the more usual is 680-690) on CB R15, what a great performer that laptop is..

What is going on the head of all those engineers?

Is Asus hiring?...

Vistar Shook and Vasudev like this.