Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I bet most of them use CUDA acceleration and 6MB/9MB will not make a day/night difference.

2. senso

senso Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Quadro GPU would be a better investment than the Xeon I would say,

raz8020 likes this.
  3. raz8020

raz8020 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It depends on the expectation for the overall quality (those that are CPU based result in higher quality) and the complexity of the model (if it doesn't fit in vRam, you don't have any benefits with CUDA).

Not all (but most) of the CAD and BIM apps have a considerable increase in FPS with pro cards, but yeah, if the price difference isn't an issue, then a pro card will provide greater benefits.

Between 8850H (that could be OC'ed by 400Mhz) and the similarly spec xeon, there shouldn't be any considerable difference (the 8850H might be advantaged if it could hold those +400 clocks, but this would seem highly unlikely if we consider how crippled (EC, BIOS, Cooling) are the majority of the BGA notebooks).

The best all around CPU with a good price/performance ratio (high clocks for a more fluid experience in viewport for most of those processes that can't use multiple cores and 12 threads + high clocks that are mostly maintained with a 95wTDP CPU, for better rendering times) would be a 8700k (or 8086k, but this one is still new and currently in testing) on a a well cooled clevo from a Prema partner (so you could exploit the full performance potential limited only by the laptop's cooling potential and not be limited by power throttling and other arbitrary imposed throttling mechanisms).

Papusan likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I don't think H chips can overclock at all!
    More complex the model say 16GB or more, it simply is better to go for CPU acceleration since it will be faster than copying data to/fro from CUDA/OpenCL device(s).
    @Fungus99 Are you a consumer or prosumer?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    raz8020 likes this.
  5. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Also remember a cache miss will have a bigger penalty with slower main memory too so don't go the xeon then cheap out on the single stick 2133mhz option...

6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    With ECC=ON the penalty is pretty bad, its like running 1st gen core i series chip at 1GHz.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  7. alexhawker

alexhawker Spent Gladiator

Reputations:
    OT, but sketchbook doesn’t belong in that list of cad programs; the circles are polygons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    New Awful Cinebench R15 results. And the reviewer can't even see it or understand it on it's own. + the reviewer from Pcmag seems he don't understand he compare 6 vs. 4 coreso_O
    Alienware 17R5 review-uk.pcmag.com

The 6 core i9-8950Hk in Alienwares new flagshipbook even killed in Photoshop by yesterdays 4 core i7-7820Hk (Razebook Pro 2017). + Cinebench R15 - 1036cb is awful results from an 6 core Cpu.
    upload_2018-6-16_2-34-6.png

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    raz8020, Vasudev and ThePerfectStorm like this.