Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Wait a minute, bro.
    Chopping off half of the GPU VRM Radiator, extending the middle CPU heatpipe past the first radiator slot to the second one, and attaching that "half" of the GPU radiator to that extended CPU heatpipe, using the exact same radiator overall real estate as before, leaving the GPU VRM with only the bottom half of that radiator that used to go on both sides of the GPU heatpipe, and REMOVING ONE OF THE TWO GPU VRM HEATPIPES now going to a half sized radiator, is putting in money? UM..............

That's like me taking a full pizza, chopping it in half with a knife, giving you half, giving me half, and putting the halves on plates instead of eating out the box, is "putting in money."

@Papusan

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    they made new heatsink, which requires money to redesign and possibly the mold for it also requires money. they might save money from other places however ultimately when talking about heatsink ONLY, it is better for the CPU. GPU wise that capacity is so large cutting a small sector off for CPU wont hurt much at all, on the other hand benefit CPU side greatly, its like a 25% extra capacity on cpu side, just what they needed for 2 more cores.

nevertheless, mobile BGA stuck with 6 cores, 8 cores ES already being tested, just wondering how long till we get them in 8790K or 9700k and drop them into ma clevo.

MSI can with redesigned cpu heatsink and its overall cooling system. if you look at their GT83VR, their CPU heatsink definitely capable of cooling at least 120+, lots of copper and capacity but design itself is flawed.

tbh MSI should probably be ahead of clevo in terms of general cooling, bigger heatsink but worse hardware. most of the comparison made here are tweaked Clevo with binned hardware vs less tweaked MSI with less binned hardware, hardly a fair comparison.

iirc @Donald@HIDevolution stated with proper tweak and LM, their GPU/CPU range from 76-80C that actually sounds right. just like a tweaked clevo with proper paste job it'll do wonders.

3. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    An 8 core i7 9700K (or whatever they get round to calling it) will be fabbed on the same process as Coffee Lake (14nm++). In order to cram in those two extra cores, they'll need to increase the TDP from the 95 W of a i7 8700K to 127 W (8/6 * 95). When overclocking the CPU would easily output over 140 W of heat! Could a P870 cool something that hot?

Donald@HIDevolution likes this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

It’s base clock frequency which determine TDP. And even with ++14Nm Intel can still optimize this process. From what I have read.... 95W will still be TDP for the new 8 cores. If info is correct.

FYI. Clevo have added the 4th fan header on MB for P870. Current models, not in use.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  5. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Ole, it is NOT a new heatsink at all.
    It's the EXACT SAME HEATSINK used ever since the GT72S and GT72VR. The primary block is the same.
    The only difference is another bit of padding (how much cents does this cost?) by the first radiator and an EXTENDED CPU heatpipe going to a CUT OFF GPU RADIATOR.
    That's not a new heatsink, man.

That's called CHAINSAW SCIENCE.
    @Papusan back me up here man.

GT73VR/GT75VR GPU VRM heatsink cooled by CPU fan
    gt73_gt75vr_VRM_sink.jpg

GT73VR and GT75VR (GT75VR Does not have black paint) CPU heatsink-front view:
    gt73vr_cpu_heatsink.jpg

GT73VR/GT75VR plate view

gt73vr-heatsink-1 (1).jpg

GT75 Titan CPU+GPU chainsaw heatsink.
    Oh, please.
    gt75cpu2.jpg

Ashtrix, KY_BULLET, bennyg and 2 others like this.
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Or call it the cheapo mans work!!:hi:

Edit. You forgot the extended 3rd heatpipe. This is not called cut off. More like cutting-edge design as Azor prefer to say.
    upload_2018-5-23_0-43-32.png
    Yeah, pretty normal with lower temp with lower load. Watt = Heat.

7. Falkentyne

Reputations:
    Even if the CPU were radiator saturated and a 2nd half radiator actually improves temps (you would need the SAME EXACT CPU CONFIGURATION TO TEST THIS FIRST as a CONTROL --read your high school science books please)-e.g. 7820HK + original GT73 heatsink (CPU+GPU VRM) tested vs 7820HK + new GT75 CPU+GPU VRM heatsink mod, OR, 8950HK + GT73 original heatsink (CPU+GPU VRM) tested vs 8950HK + new GT75 CPU+GPU VRM heatsink mod,

Even if CPU is improved, not a good idea to remove cooling from GPU VRM's (Papusan was right here), EVEN MORE SO SINCE THE CPU FAN IS WHAT COOLS THE GPU VRMS TO BEGIN WITH !!

If GPU VRMs were cooled by GPU fan, then you can argue "possibilities" like GPU VRM cooling being 'overdone'.

Would you want to mod a GTX 1070 to 230W TDP with this reduced GPU VRM cooling and 1 less heatpipe? (half size radiator and 1 heatpipe removed?)
    would you?

8. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:

the last picture show it is new heatsink lol, they change it a bit to benefit more on the CPU.

yep i doubt they'll change TDP. more reason to throttle it which is intel's ultimate goal. lowering CPU frequency so they can sell +100mhz for $100 for future cpu.

oSChakal and Falkentyne like this.
  9. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    @ole!!! said: "iirc @Donald@HIDevolution stated with proper tweak and LM, their GPU/CPU range from 76-80C that actually sounds right. just like a tweaked clevo with proper paste job it'll do wonders."

No, that is with a full load, after AIDA64 stress test, several benchmarks and at least 1.5 hours of intense gaming at Ultimate settings...these are the highest temperature spikes we recorded.

10. Papusan

Reputations:
    My bad. Meant lower temp with lower watt.
    How high temp will reach depends on how you run Aida64 and with what clock speed. Put it this way... Clock it up, run Aida64 (Stress FPU + Gpu box checked). Or better say clock it so it run +140w Cpu Package power. Not sure how high clocks is needed for the goal. Watt is still Heat:) More watt = More heat. Temps will follow.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    KY_BULLET likes this.