Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Intel 8th Gen Core i9 mobile platform unveil at April 2018 Event
    i9 mobile release at 22:40

Published on Apr 3, 2018
    Intel unveils the all-new 8th Generation Core i9 processor for Laptops within Intel’s Special Event on April 2, 2018. Gaming laptops with Core i9 CPU demonstrate amazing performance with huge potential to creativity. This is the full version of Intel’s Special Launch Event on April 2, 2018.
    Source: intel.com

Intel Core i9 Processor Comes to Mobile: The Best Gaming and Creation Laptop Processor Intel Has Ever Built
    April 3, 2018
    https://newsroom.intel.com/news/int...g-creation-laptop-processor-intel-ever-built/

"Today at a global event in Beijing, Intel unveiled the first ever Intel® Core™ i9 processor for laptops. Part of the new lineup of high-performance mobile products unveiled, the powerful 8th Gen Intel Core i9 processor is the highest-performance laptop processor Intel has ever built to deliver the best gaming and content creation experience on the go.

Building on the arrival of the new Intel Core i9 processor for mobile, Intel also announced a new Intel Core platform extension that brings together the benefits of 8th Gen Intel Core processors with Intel® Optane™ memory, rounded out its family of high-performance desktop CPUs and chipsets that deliver modern standby and ambient computing capabilities, and shared new details on the 8th Gen Intel® Core™ vPro™ platform.

Delivering the ultimate gaming and content creation experience
    The new 8th Gen Intel Core i9, i7 and i5 processors for laptops are based on the Coffee Lake platform and leverage the 14nm++ process technology enabling them to deliver up to 41 percent more frames per second in gameplay1 or edit 4K video up to 59 percent faster than the previous generation with same discrete graphics.2

At the top of the stack, the 8th Gen Intel Core i9-8950HK processor is optimized to push the limits of performance. It is the first mobile Intel processor with six cores and 12 threads. It comes fully unlocked and features the new Intel Thermal Velocity Boost (TVB), which opportunistically and automatically increases clock frequency up to 200 MHz if the processor temperature is low enough and turbo power budget is available. This translates to a turbo frequency of up to 4.8 GHz.

» Download all images (ZIP, 16 MB)

As the PC gaming industry rapidly grows, Intel has seen increasing demand for incredibly fast laptops that can provide desktop-like performance for an immersive and responsive experience, including the ability to stream and record without compromising gameplay while still enabling portability.

But, performance goes beyond gaming. Thanks to the rapid pace of technology innovation, the industry has broadened the access to all types of content and how people create it. It has radically redefined what creativity means, and as content has become richer and more immersive, the level of performance needed to both consume and create that content has also increased. This 8th Gen Intel Core processor family provides a powerful mobile platform for creators. In addition, the new highest-performance 8th Gen Intel Core mobile processors’ single- and multi-threaded performance allows users to enjoy the smoothest and highest-quality mobile VR and new Windows* Mixed Reality Ultra experiences.

The highest-performance 8th Gen Intel Core mobile processor family also adds a new Intel® 300 Series Chipset, which adds integrated Gigabit Wi-Fi for a blazing-fast connection that is capable of being up to 2 times faster than standard 2×2 802.11AC 80 MHz (867 Mbps).3

Intel Optane memory: now on 8th Gen Intel Core mobile and desktop platforms

Intel Optane memory is a smart and adaptable system accelerator for desktop and mobile platforms, increasing the performance and responsiveness of SATA-based storage technology without compromising storage capacity.

Now, Intel Optane memory is available across both 8th Gen Intel Core mobile and desktop platforms. Additionally, Intel has released a new Data Drive Acceleration feature that delivers a boost to a large secondary HDD data drive. This powerful combination provides up to 4.7 times the game loading4 and 1.7 times faster media loading.5 See more on Data Drive Acceleration.

Consumers will also begin to see a new platform extension with Intel Core i5+, i7+ and i9+ badges on select systems, starting with today’s high-performance 8th Gen Intel Core mobile processors and desktop processors. This indicates they are purchasing a device that has the combination of Intel Core performance with the acceleration of Intel Optane memory.

Additional information
    See site for more details...

2. MapleEssence

MapleEssence Newbie

Reputations:
    For gaming, I'm pretty impressed by the progress the i5 has made. Hyper threading and a large shot in the arm in single core perf (I play a lot of WoW, so I *need* that).

Still seems too early for gaming and a 12 threaded CPU, though. Can't muster much interest in i7/i9.

3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Core i7-8850H’s partial unlock allows for DRAM overclocking and a 400MHz CPU overclock, but not more.

raz8020, mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  4. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That's not a whole lot...

Vistar Shook likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    No power unlock, so still on the 96 second (or maybe longer / adjustable?) Max Power Timeout. But, many things run in segments small enough to be resetting that counter, so it could be ok.

8850H specs
    https://ark.intel.com/products/134899/Intel-Core-i7-8850H-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

4.3ghz + 400mhz = 4x 4.7ghz, so that's certainly awesome for a laptop CPU. Not the 5.0ghz advertised for the 8950HK by Alienware, but better than past generations.

As compared to the previous undervolted normal daily driver OC of 4.0ghz before Kabylake, and the undervolted 7820HK GT73 daily driver speed I set up as 4.2ghz (stock using XTU) - 4.1ghz DGC limited - and 4.5ghz on stock everything, but fans were loud.

4.7ghz for benchmarking is a nice bump, with maybe a daily driver speed of 4.5ghz this time.

It's a nice jump up in speeds, as well as 50% more cores/threads.

Memory speed seems to be limited to 2666mhz even with OC, but maybe that will change over time.

It's a pretty nice potential bump in performance overall, now we need production unit reviews to see which ones do the best. :)

raz8020 and Vistar Shook like this.
  6. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Still not sure how but the surfacebook 2 seems to be a little out of place... unless its single core perf is really that good?
    Screenshot_20180403-232349_Chrome.jpg

From my personal experience owning one I have to disagree.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    4.3 GHz is one core, 6 cores is 4GHz, so theoretically, 4.4GHz overclock is possible for all six cores if the power limits are not hard coded.

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Usually the "boost" frequency Max is "out the window" when OC'ing the multiplier, that locks in the frequency and there is no boost involved.

So you would set all cores to the maximum settable multiplier, and if they are saying a 400mhz OC is available, that would be from the maximum single core speed, or 4.3ghz for the 8850H (4.1ghz for the 8750H) + 400mhz = 4.7ghz for the 8850H (4.5ghz for the 8750H), given what we know from past experience.

It will be a couple of weeks before new owners get their units and report back what each model's BIOS and or XTU/TS settings will allow. :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    Vistar Shook likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    I'm sure most know Alienware never put all cores equal for their overclock profiles. And 8850Hq run stock 4.0GHz all 6 cores. Add +4 bin = 4.4GHz is managable a few sec before the clocks drops. As showed in Cinebench R15 a few posts back.
    upload_2018-4-4_5-46-29.png

Intel Thermal Velocity Boost is a tiny extra turbo
    Only the Core i9-8950HK and the Xeon Mobile E-2186M supported the new additional Turbo Intel Thermal Velocity Boost (and a configTDP of 35 watts). Behind it is an additional clock gain, which is very strictly coupled to the temperature. Recently, mobile CPUs were usually limited in time over the maximum allowable consumption.

The Thermal Velocity Boost works because the temperature only increases with a delay to the fast accelerating clock. Their acceleration (velocity) compared to the clock is low. This is exploited by the turbo, which is allowed to accelerate one core under load by an additional 200 MHz, several cores under load by an additional 100 MHz, as long as the CPU temperature does not reach a critical threshold.

Intel calculates this threshold in the notebook, however, at only 50 degrees Celsius. Especially with loads on several cores, experience shows that it takes only fractions of a second to reach this mark. The Thermal Velocity Boost then turns off again and the famous turbo takes over.

The effects of the additional turbo to turbo should therefore only lead to a measurable result in scenarios with extremely short peak loads. Even then, 200 MHz at 4.6 GHz and 100 MHz at 4.2 GHz correspond to only a relatively small four percent and two percent, respectively.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  10. AHMED KARAM

AHMED KARAM The Strategist

Reputations:
    Intel Just Launched A TON Of Stuff! Budget CPUs, Motherboards & More!

mason2smart and Vasudev like this.