Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Have you tried unchecking BDPROCHOT in TS and see if you're getting EDP throttling or whatever? It seems your PC has underpowered AC power adapter or some FW level throttling by HP.

I don't HP allows that feature to be persistent across reboot and shutdowns. One idea is to install RW everything driver to shut off FW limits and put max OC limits.

2. Stanley08

Stanley08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Sorry, most of this is gibberish to me. BD Prochot disable didn't help. And i read some articles saying turning off BD Prochot can fry my CPU. No? Please what can i do? I am hitting 95 degrees almost to easily on Apex Legends. Before 15 mins already at 100 degrees. PUBG bounces around 85 to 97 ish.

@Mr. Fox if you can be of assistance too, Please help. Also, stick with ThrottleStop and not Intel XTU. Yes? @Papusan i always appreciate your input.

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Post from my phone. I will reply back when I’m on my pc. If bro @Mr. Fox is on his pc maybe he can post some screenshots for you. I haven’t the time right now.

4. Stanley08

Reputations:
    I will be expecting it. I appreciate every since answer here guys.

P.S: I tried to repaste my GPU and CPU as I have some 2019 Arctic MX-4 thermal paste laying around (Also have Arctic Silver 5). I couldn't get in, the screws holding the sink are TOO tight Especially numbers 1 & 7. Also, pressing down hard is bending my motherboard. I don't want to take chances. I had to couple it back together. Was a relief to see it turn on. Lol.

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Hi bro @Stanley08 . You're going to have to get those thermals under control. It is getting too hot to work right. If you made the CPU run right it could be getting even hotter.

Vasudev likes this.
  6. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I was just working on my cousin's Omen 15 which had similar issues. After repaste, CPU+GPU causes CPU temps to soar upto 95C and boost clocks were at 3.7GHz on al cores. As soon as I closed AIDA64 Stress Test, temps went down to 65C on CPU and GPU. I decided to run only AIDA64 CPU,Cache along with GPU caps viewer Rainforest OpenGL benchmark and temps never crossed 85C.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  7. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Hello guys, I think i just broke my computer. I set Turbo and Short Turbo to 45W each instead of the default of 90W. Also set an undervolt of -130mv. I tried to run a game and got a BSOD and now my computer won't turn on.

The power light shows up and then turns off few seconds later. Doesn't boot. I've fried the CPU, Haven't I?!

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    CMOS reset and it should post again. Can't say anything for sure but I doubt it's bricked.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Lol i did exactly this immediately after my last post. And it's working. Just tried my luck. Thought CMOS reset could work.

Now I'm trying to force the sink open. This is crazy. Why make the sink so tight?!

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    You'd have a hard time frying the CPU, even on purpose. You'd have to give it more voltage than your motherboard would allow you to.

Vasudev and Papusan like this.