Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. QUICKSORT

QUICKSORT Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yep, happened to me to @Stanley08 Whenever I updated to driver 440 or 441 in roughly 1 day my gpu would get undetected.
    In my case, going into the Device manager I saw under System devices that there was a yellow exclamation mark on my PCIe x16 controller. I proceeded to right click on it and Update the driver, and it became Intel Xeon E3 PCIe Controller, While at it, did the same thing for the PCIe controller too. And problem was solved.
    This was thanks to the help of some people at the Area 51M forum.

So yeah, hope this helps.

raz8020, Stanley08, Papusan and 3 others like this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    So, @Stanley08 should try updating with PCIe Controller drivers and maybe that will fix it? Glad you got it sorted.

On my MECH-15 it was PCI Express Root Port with a Micro$lop driver dated in 2006 before I updated it.

Before:
    upload_2019-11-2_17-5-22.png
    After:
    upload_2019-11-2_17-6-32.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Stanley08 likes this.
  3. Stanley08

Stanley08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, thanks for this. I guess the problem is Nvidia Driver update then and not Windows Update. Because i already went ahead to Pause Windows Update for 7 days and didn't install latest Nvidia Driver and since then, no issues whatsoever lol.

You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping.

I was thinking of just skipping this 441 driver update.

However, you think i should create a clean restore point, install windows and Nvidia updates then do the driver updates in Device manager too?

Mr. Fox and Vasudev like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes. The Windows Updates are not something I particularly value, but doing the driver updates in Device Manager might fix the issue of the GPU disappearing as it did for @QUICKSORT. I haven't experienced the GPU disappearing, but at one point it was having some weirdness with code 43 and being disabled.

5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Don't rely on Restore point because its buggy. I disable it to gain better performance and usually I trust Macrium Reflect Image backup or Acronis to get the job done.
    You don't have to update drivers anymore. Stick with stable working ones than latest drivers.

Papusan, raz8020, hmscott and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    FYI... in case anyone else experiences the same. After updating the PCIe driver as noted above, I started having some stupidity with the Intel WiFi showing "connected, no internet" and found that DHCP was disabled. I would fix it only to have the problem return at the next boot. After experiencing this nonsense about three times, I uninstalled the WiFi card in Device Manager and checked the box to delete the driver. I then scanned for hardware changes. After Windows reinstalled it using its own driver that problem has not resurfaced.

Rei Fukai, Vasudev, Papusan and 2 others like this.
  7. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Sometime I feel older Windows update provided driver worked better than latest driver which have more bugs than older working version.

Rei Fukai, hmscott and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Hello guys thanks alot for the assist on the previous issue. that driver thing didn't work automatically. I went the 'have disk' route and it just installed the older driver again and nvidia graphics card worked afterwards.

==================

That said, I am trying to UV because i'm getting too much heat on my computer. It seems like no matter what i try, i get one kind of throlling or the other. However, according to Intel Benchmark, my computer performs best at -140mv UV. But still one Throttling or the other. What can I do?

I want to know, is it safer to have EDP throttling or Power limit throttling over an extended period of time?

PL.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  9. Stanley08

Reputations:
    I know that reducing one of Turbo Boost or Turbo Boost Short Power Max from 90 to 45 gives lower temps. Not sure which it is. Which is safer to reduce?

Which.jpg

10. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    How to understand Power limits... TDP and Turbo Explained

[​IMG]

The only thing that matters is trying to avoid Thermal Throttling (fix the cooling). The different power limit settings is what the name say... Just a limit, and put it as high as the cooling allow. The better cooling capacity - The higher you can put power limits.

Vasudev and tilleroftheearth like this.