Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Stanley08

Stanley08 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have the HP Omen 17T 2019. Core i9-9880H and RTX 2080.

I took out the 16GB (8x2) 2667MHz RAM that came with the computer and replaced with the 32GB (16x2) 2800MHz XMP RAM sticks that came with my old 2018 Omen with GTX 1080.

I didn't try to undervolt before replacing the RAM sticks but i doubt that's why it's throttling. Lol.

I wanted to undervolt my CPU but during stress test, i found out my CPU was Power throttling. Before Stress test, It was already 'Current/EDP throttling'.

What should I do now? Should I still undervolt? Or what?

Stress.jpg

Info.jpg

Mr. Fox likes this.
  2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Get ThrottleStop and use the settings you see in this screen shot. If SpeedShift is active, set the EPP value to zero in the main window. The BIOS default of 128 will make your CPU run like crap. That should take care of it. These turdbooks are all screwed up, especially with respect to their rubbish firmware. Just an FYI... when you add the check mark in the box to "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" this will download a file for the ThrottleStop folder. That is normal and expected, so no need to be concerned. You must have that file for it to function. We'd all be screwed if it were not for @unclewebb magic to fix everything the laptop OEMs are so handy and consistent at botching up.
    ts.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Stanley08, raz8020, hmscott and 5 others like this.
  3. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Thanks for your response.

The values you are asking me to input are TOO HIGH compared to what i have there currently. Feels unsafe. Please take a look.

Thank you.

TS1.jpg

TS2.jpg

TS3.jpg

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Power Limits are "limits" (not static values) and you can set them to the max. The CPU cannot and will not ever use more power than what Intel has made it capable of using. Those values are fused. Just maxing out those settings keeps things simple and all it means is you don't have to care about it not having the capability to use as much power as it needs to not run into power limit throttling because you have removed any obstacle that could interfere with that. Same is true of the ICC max. It's the voltage that you have to be careful about setting too high. The voltage being too high can cause damage and cause overheating. Maxing out the Power Limits and ICC max won't cause any harm. One of the techniques the turdbook OEMs use to castrate their junk is to set those values lower than what the CPU needs to function at its full performance capacity.

Edit: You still need to check the box for "Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits" (and download the file that goes along with checking the box) before anything else. If you don't do that, none of the other settings will be applied and you'll still be cursed with the same performance crippling symptoms that you posted about.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  5. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Aha! That makes sense. Like saying you have $1000 in your wallet when you going out to lunch. Lol.

Anyways, so, you think I should go for the undervolt?

raz8020, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    As well remove BD PROCHOT check mark, and click Speed shift - EPP box and add 0:)
    upload_2019-10-20_4-28-46.png

Then run Cinebench R20 :)

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yes, that's a good example, LOL. Just because your wallet has $1,000 doesn't mean you are going to spend it all on lunch. I like that analogy.

Yes, you can probably get by with -.125mV with no problem and maybe even more. Be sure to set the same undervolt for the cache as the core. ThrottleStop will allow you to set them independently and if you do not lower the cache voltage the core voltage will still run higher than you set it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  8. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for your reply.

Firstly, can you explain to me what both of them do?

I bought this new computer because something went wrong with the CPU of my old computer (i7-7820HK) and it was running ONLY at 800MHz all the time and the only way i can get it up to 2900MHz is by disabling this BDPROCHOT. I hear it's a safety mechanism of some sort. Right now, that CPU NEVER goes higher than 2.9GHz even tho its turbo can go up to 3.9GHz. But always 2.9 now.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Indeed. I forgot to highlight that BD PROCHOT is unchecked. Thanks for mentioning it. I always disable it in the BIOS when the setting is accessible.

10. Stanley08

Reputations:
    Please read my last post

Mr. Fox likes this.