Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Does this means you can solder on 9th gen i9-9980Hk chips on let’s say old 6th gen BGA MB and make it work perfectly? Or better say solder on whatever chips from last generations on whatever BGA machine and model? Yeah, I can imagine that is possible. In a dream (Nightmare).

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Here you go, get one of these BGA workstations and go into business replacing all of those "millions" of failed BGA CPU's you think must be out there.
    https://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch/CN/laptop-repair-service.html

With a nice side business upgrading the CPU's as well. :D

Latest-Automatic-BGA-Rework-Station-ZM-R6823.jpg

Zhuomao ZM R6200 Semi-Automatic BGA 3 zone Rework Station Optical Alignment System for laptop motherboard repair service
    https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...pm=a2700.7724857.normalList.96.606029cawa9xBA

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Vasudev and Papusan like this.
  3. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You can solder one on fine, definitely, as to whether it'll work, unlikely due to intel ME.

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  4. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Good luck make the 9th gen nice and shiny silicon work with 2015 models Jokes:vbbiggrin: Or 7th and 8th gen for that matter.
    Yeah, you will have a nice shiny not working thin plastic/metal book on your table. Maybe you is lucky and get some flashing lights but that’s all:D

hmscott likes this.
  5. kingofswag187

kingofswag187 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Isnt that what you do? Make overheating crap work on notebooks that are the size of a house?
    Junk work on junk?

6. TheQuentincc

TheQuentincc Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    BGA is not an issue for me, also you don't need a lot of stuff to do bga rework properly.
    The main issue is if it's possible to modify the bios to add the support of the 8/9th gen like you probably did on your P870DM, I was looking for a Dell precision 7710 or 7720 and upgrading for an I9 8950HK, I'm already running a M6700 and I wanted to upgrade to a 6 core laptop while keeping an mxm 3.0 slot and keep the very "clean" looking of these precision

7. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Sounds like something leokim or the people from 51nb would do, that guy from Korea upgraded a P3200 P52 to a Xeon:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/bt6kq6/ultimate_unique_p52_mod/

8. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the socketed laptops work with modded BIOS, so should a BGA motherboard work, but its there is no guarantees that it will work, and you need to find someone able to edit your BIOS to make it all work, and there might be bugs or things that stop working due to incompatibilities.

The BGA is bad song gets tiring when all those marvellous upgradable laptops are even half usable is due to bios mods..

Look, my Clevo is oh so good, just pray you bought it from some Prema sanctioned re-seller or use Dsanke BIOS, and hope that it all works out(not shamming his work).

kingofswag187 and Vasudev like this.
  9. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You can't bypass the BIOS at all without bricking the mobo, so your money is wasted on BGA CPU just because its blocked and then again MEIFW will disallow the upgrade since its hard coded to brick unless the BIOS has explicit support for newer MEI 11.11.x or higher. Maybe Prema can give more insight.!

10. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    But there are the mods, and they do work, and you can run 8th and 9th gen CPUs on all the P series LGAs back to 2015 models, and plenty have done that because an end user can do it with nothing more than fresh TIM and screwdriver and a $10 rom programmer as backup, so... thanks for highlighting the exact opposite of what you were trying to rant about...?

I'm not going to dispute that we got really really lucky with Intel reusing the same socket for years on end, making no meaningful change, and Clevo making minimal changes over those years and with power delivery capable of handling literally double the power draw of the quads they were originally sold with.

But undoubtedly having a whole lot of desktop enthusiasts and modders working to do the same thing with multiple Z170 and Z270 boards helped, and Clevo have the experience and the enthusiast following as the only brand to consistently stick with socket CPUs in laptops in the face of their Haswell era death warrant 5 years ago.

Until there's examples of it being done with BGA, we're talking specious hypothetical vs established reality.

Papusan, yrekabakery and hmscott like this.