Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by sicily428, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Maybe we can say Hello to m17 as well? Yeah, Frank Azor and Alienware have switched/changed target. From worse to even more worse.
    upload_2018-11-11_20-52-0.png
    Want one when it comes? @Mr. Fox @Ultra Male @Ashtrix @Falkentyne @Vistar Shook @Arrrrbol + all other I haven't mentioned here. Remember the benefits with Hybrid Power Design (adopded from MSI). + the new and even thinner design. Aka design before functionality!

Alienware 15 R3/15 R4/17 R4/17 R5/M15/M17 performance issue or battery drain while AC adapter is connected dell.com/support
    upload_2018-11-11_20-28-51.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    What a ****ing joke.
    The system starts using the battery FAR BELOW what the AC power limit is.
    On the MSI GT73, this starts at 160W when a GTX 1070 is detected as installed, and at 180W when a GTX 1080 is installed. There isn't any actual real drain at 180W, just a small 'drop' in battery voltage, which the EC shows as the battery being accessed.

3. Papusan

Reputations:
    I'm sure Azor + Alienware's team of engineers enjoy the i9-8950Hk ranking in Notebookcheck.net
    upload_2018-11-11_21-25-56.png
    Lower or better say crippled Cpu clock speed will prolong the battery life (less power drain from the battery):D

4. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I normally do not visit these threads, but I need to be clear in case there is any question about what I want.

I want something when I see this, but it is not the laptop. I want to projectile vomit when I see emasculated garbage like this.

The scores really say enough without any need for comment. I am not calling out a specific brand because the numbers do that for us. I will say that the one at the top of the list isn't good enough, so what we see is varying degrees of trash. Some junkbooks perform better than other junkbooks, but they're all junkbooks.

Some people will see this kind of compelling information and still buy it on purpose. Some will justify it on the basis of warranty, build quality, cultural identification, or just because they think it looks nice. We wish them great happiness with their decision. But, some will not. And, it's still worth showing for the sake of those that see the results and change their mind.

I am pretty sure as long as the money keeps flowing the manufacturer does not care what the numbers show. They won't care about that unless or until it hurts their bottom line. Showing the numbers in many places increases the possibility that it will hurt their bottom line, so thanks for doing the right thing.

5. ssj92

ssj92 Neutron Star

Reputations:
    Does the battery hybrid crap still kick in if you use a higher wattage PSU? Like using 240w on a 180w system?

Curious if they went full MSI on this one. I think those systems doesn't even care which PSU you are using.

Vistar Shook, Vasudev and Falkentyne like this.
  6. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Not sure about Alienware as they use some weird thing on some systems to detect which PSU is being used.
    On MSI it doesn't matter what PSU you use. The hybrid power cap is controlled by a register in the EC which is set at power on time, by the Bios. This register can be changed in windows to trick a higher power ID to being set.

This register also controls CPU detection, which causes a bug on LGA MSI systems, where the programmed value isn't recognized as a valid CPU, because the EC is designed for BGA systems, not LGA. An unrecognized CPU will override Bios Power Limit 1/2 settings and enforce base TDP at all times. There is no way to avoid this if this happens, except by using IMON SLOPE/IMON OFFSET tweaks.

Power draw past 160W/180W (GTX 1070 / GTX 1080) will override Bios CPU Power limit settings and enforce base TDP or even lower. Video card cannot be throttled.

MSI_PowerID_GTX1070.jpg

7. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    sounds great on paper, works like poo. If only it worked as intended. Have you trust in Mr. Azor to bring back the old glory days of socketed Alienware taptops? :rolleyes:

8. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    If the Alienware 18 cancerbook was an example, it will only benefit from a PSU that has a max capacity of whatever denomination they conclude, in their infinite wisdom, to be adequate. Knowing how they operate based on their historical behavior, I suspect using a higher capacity AC adapter won't change anything. They don't want anyone to be able to use their products in a manner that is inconsistent with what they deem to be in their own best interests as the seller. This allows them to maintain ownership of the product (and its buyer) indefinitely.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    You should keep in mind that Alienwares Dell's amazing overclock app probably talks with the Hybrid Power Design in firmware. As you know... All roads lead to Rome
    upload_2018-11-11_23-40-28.png
    Sounds great on paper and "if" worked as intended?:rolleyes: You kidding with me bruh? If this <mess> have worked "as" intended it would still be a awful tragic design!

PS. Don't connect any external Gaming mouse + Gaming keyboard + Headset if you own an newer Alienware laptops or you will encounter throttling outside the more normal. Use only the trackpad, keyboard, speakers and microphone who follow the notebook:D
    upload_2018-11-12_3-0-30.png

Arrrrbol, Ashtrix, raz8020 and 2 others like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Maybe AW should start installing AMD CPUs with less performance because Intel CPU's potential is wasted due to insufficient cooling and compactness of the ultraportable device that gives 18hrs of battery life.

Mr. Fox likes this.