Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake Z370

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Sep 25, 2017.

1. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Let me ask, when MCE is enabled - is the processor (or any other component) running at a higher voltage?

If it is; that is O/C'd.

If it isn't; that would be my definition of 'stock'.

hmscott likes this.
  2. aaronne

aaronne Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Lol, last intel vid is 1,52 on specs, about 1,40v of vcore.. Put in case you have a good temps, did you really like to put that voltage on your new shiny cpu, without overclock it decently? Because to me seems abysmal thing for clock reached

3. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Sorry, I don't understand your reply?

What are the (relevant) voltages without MCE and what are they with MCE enabled? If in fact they change when that option is 'ON'.

4. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:

True, I think they got the most money out of getting a bunch of Nintendo consoles each year before the holiday sell-out, but if chips are going to start being that way, might be a way to make some. If I had thought of it with mining GPUs I might have done something like that myself.

5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yes, the voltage is higher - Jay pointed this out in his Apology video and Re-test video, that's why he thinks he needed to move to water-cooling for the 8700k even on stock settings.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...coffee-lake-z370.809268/page-17#post-10614749

@Talon found the same MCE on by default problem, affecting his "stock" benchmarking:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    Talon and tilleroftheearth like this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
  7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Aha, I always wondered why the 5775C in the Mini itx box ran at x37 with no partial turbo multipliers ever, now I realise its the Asus motherboard with MCE on by default.

This is early 2015 hardware, this surely can't have been missed by reviewers for this long? Is it just now being discovered now that max single vs multicore turbo is more than a couple hundred mhz/ a few %?

hmscott and tilleroftheearth like this.
  8. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    At the end of the day the 8700K, 8600K, and 8400 just spank on all things Ryzen. They have excellent productivity, and far superior gaming performance. Who really give a **** if Asus boards are enabling MCE by 'default'. Although I think Asus should certainly inform the consumer of it's default status. The system doesn't become unstable and isn't crashing, and at the end of the day most consumers would prefer to get better performance out of their new shiny system. Most hardcore power users are going to manually tweak their clocks and voltage anyways.

Papusan likes this.
  9. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    People forget the platform is just released. Bios updates is in works. See.. F.eks Guru3.com tested 8700K with abnormal low scores(CBR15 - 1230cb). Now fixed with bios update. It's only storm in a water glass:cool:

tilleroftheearth, hmscott and Talon like this.
  10. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Haven’t forgotten about your request. Just got home to my desktop from a 4 day trip so will get to working.

hmscott likes this.