Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake Z370 and Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:

The Great @Mr. Fox
    Asus recommended setting it to 0.01, because that makes the VID what the CPU actually requests (and when using manual voltages, the VID matches the set vcore. Then you just have to compensate for vdroop with "Loadline Calibration" (LLC). They recommended this setting be set to 0.01 on all Kaby Lake boards.

I asked Raja what AC/DC loadline does and here was his reply:

2.10 mOhms is the Intel reference setting for Auto.
    But I believe that is ALSO the reference setting for the MSI cancerbooks also.
    If I use the "Auto" setting, my taptop shuts off (VRMs shut down) with prime 95 small FFT with AVX (FMA3) at 4.2+ ghz. The higher the ghz the faster the shutdown. Also the power draw seems to be sky high with the auto setting, and the VID is NOT shown accurately (someone explain to me how a VID of 1.14v can draw MORE POWER than a VID of 1.2106v?).
    *edit*

If I use a "manual" AC/DC setting, anything above 1.30 (1.3 mOhms) also shuts off at 4.4 ghz (takes about 2 minutes however). At 2.1 mOhms (Intel reference setting=Auto), it shuts off in 15 seconds.

If I set my GT73VR cancerbook to 0.01 (1 in the Bios), the VID matches the set vcore almost exactly (Vdroop isn't shown), and the VRM's don't shut down at all.

I know you don't believe me, but I'm willing to bet you $20 dollars that that is why your 16L1 shut down as well when Prema had all power limits (Including CPU power limits being able to exceed 91W) at a high overclock. Because MSI set that value to "Auto."

You would need to change it to 0.01 and then increase the voltage. But there is a hard voltage ceiling on these cancerbooks.

Remember, MSI developed Battery Boost ™ right?
    Well now we have proof they developed VID Boost ™ @Papusan

I was reading that thread.
    There were people complaining about setting 1.3v in the Bios and getting 1.476v at load...
    Then they changed AC/DC from auto to 0.01 and the VID dropped to 1.375 or something.

Keep AC/DC loadline at 0.01 boys.

*Edit* forgot pic: 0=intel 'reference' setting (Auto): 2.10 mohms most likely:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Talon, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  2. dspboys

dspboys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  3. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I thought the current was a fixed amount?
    Example:
    The GTX 1080/GTX 1070 draw 19.5 amps because that is the rating of the power supply on the Taptops.
    So 19.5 x 10 (a factor of 10 for the MXM slot) = 195W <--the maximum allowed rated power the MXM slot can deliver.

EDIT 19.5V NOT 19.5A SORRY.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_PCI_Express_Module

I dont know where this factor of 10 came from. Pretty sure d2ultima said this in an old post).

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...3-0b-alive-thread.795048/page-2#post-10318790

So what's going on with that AC/DC jokebook setting?
    It's raising the AMPS but not the voltage??

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  4. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    ? I suggest a crash course on circuit basics

Watts (total power, or "work") = volts x amps
    Amps (current) rises and falls with load
    Volts stays much the same so long as the power source or voltage maintaining components (VRMs) aren't too stressed by the load - we call this observation Vdroop - or if it gets below what the CPU needs to be stable... BSOD.

19.5V x 10A (195W) is the generally accepted safe longer term limit on the slot. That doesn't mean either the card or motherboard can maintain that and also be safe since a circuit is only as robust as the component that will fail first

5. Lunatics

Lunatics Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Got an email late last week that the 8700k was in stock on neweggs website, was able to get one ordered before they sold out and cancelled my B&H order. CPU came on Saturday, excited to finally have it. I plan on buying a rockit delidding tool before I put my mobo in and put the cpu in it and start building. Is gluing the IHS back on needed or do most people place the IHS back on and clamp it down with the cooler? This would be my first time actually delidding a cpu myself.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I never glued them on laptops, but with the CPU positioned vertical as it would be on most desktops it might be a good idea. The relid tool works great. I used a very small amount of silicon and left it under pressure while I installed the GPU AIO cooler.

Congrats on snagging an 8700K.

Papusan likes this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO - Overclocking Test and Guide 8700K (en)

Z370 - BATTLE of the CHEAP (en)

8. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    Futuremark Celebrates Newegg Partnership with Huge Discounts - $5 for 3DMark
    PRESS RELEASE by Chino Wednesday, November 8th 2017 19:07
    "Futuremark, the developer of the world's most widely used benchmarking software, today announced a new partnership with Newegg, the leading tech-focused e-retailer in North America. The partnership sees Newegg complement its comprehensive selection of PC components and complete systems with Futuremark's popular 3DMark, VRMark and PCMark 10 benchmarks. It's a winning combination: everything you need to build and benchmark a new PC in one place." RUN AND BUY!!:)

hmscott likes this.
  9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Thanks for the heads up.

Papusan likes this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations: