Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake Z370 and Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Here's this, too...

dspboys and hmscott like this.
  2. dspboys

dspboys Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome @Mr. Fox ! Thank you for the tips and resources :)

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Suprised you didnt grab a 7980XE @Mr. Fox . Enjoy the 8700k nonetheless. I think I am done with performance laptop as well.

Gonna make a good 7980XE based desktop machine for myself next week. I am switch to Lenovo thinkpads for my laptop need hopefully in the future.

Laptops just aint worth it anymore....

dspboys, Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Well, I wanted that for sure. But, it would have been at least $1500 beyond the amount of cash I had to work with to go that route. I needed to spend almost that much on repairs to my wife's vehicle, so all a matter of priorities. I try to avoid spending more than I can afford. I could have used credit, but it's better to avoid debt as much as possible. I can always upgrade if and when I can afford it later, but I will end up earning more points on HWBOT by switching hardware configurations. So, there's no down side in that respect.

Papusan and tgipier like this.
  5. tgipier

tgipier Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Absolutely avoid buying PC parts on debt, you made the smart choice for sure! I dont know how hwbot works, so no idea on that.

I dont think I am gonna aggressively OC the 7980XE to be honest. I would be happy with all cores 4.2ghz.

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You earn points several ways. Winning (placing higher in ranking) is one, of course. Competing in competitive events is another. Submitting benchmarks with a wide variety of hardware is another. If you do well with all of the hardware you overclock and bench, then you earn even more points on top of the hardware points.

You can see points coming from a variety of sources when you look at a profile page.

upload_2017-11-4_21-2-28.png

Papusan and tgipier like this.
  7. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    No, spent the last two days getting Windows 7 figured out. I will give that a shot. My VID has not been crazy high. There was a BIOS update for my board already, so maybe it was addressed. My VID seems about right, but this is definitely worth checking. Thanks for the tip and link.

9. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Look again... it appears ASUS says to set it at 2.10 not 0.01. The screen shot example shows the wrong value. I haven't finished reading and I could be wrong, but are you sure you read that correctly? I am not seeing high voltage or massive vdroop issues on my board.

Edit: I cannot vouch for the reliability of the comment, but it sounds (anecdotally) like the reason I am not seeing this issue is my motherboard doesn't have the problem that most other Z370 motheroboards have. Which is consistent with what I am seeing. ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (WIFI-AC) seems rock solid. Glad I paid extra for it. Let's hope Clevo gets it right on their new Z370 laptops.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1638955/z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread/250#post_26399844

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Papusan, Talon and hmscott like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations: