Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake Z370 and Z390

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hmscott, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    The liquid cooling on the 1080Ti was a huge benefit in terms of holding clock speeds on a benchmark like Heaven or Superposition. GPU core boost clocks were the same at the end as they were at the start. As expected, they were dropping on air cooling as the GPU got warmer.

The 8700K thermal paste under the IHS looked worse to me than what I had seen before on 6700K or 7700K. It seemed abnormally dry to me, especially with only 24 hours of use, plus whatever burn-in testing was done by ibuypower prior to shipping.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    ic so roughly a 1.5% penalty small enough.

Mr. Fox likes this.
  3. D2 Ultima

D2 Ultima Livestreaming Master

Reputations:
    Oh my, voltage that seems to sit at what you tell it to sit at... what forward-thinking innovation in these new chips!

*hides all evidence of any processor prior to Skylake*

Mr. Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Papusan, ole!!! and dspboys like this.
  5. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    @dspboys - Getting Windows 7 to work was a HUGE pain in the booty. Wasted an entire day on it and could not get it to install due to Intel 300 series chipset RAID/AHCI controller drivers not working to install Windows 7. I never found a solution. Maybe Fernando at win-raid will mod some in the near future so it will install normally.

So, I restored an image of W7 from the P870DM3 to one of the 1TB Samsung SSDs and *BOOM* worked. That's using the 200 series RAID/AHCI controller drivers. Changed the product key to a new one and re-activated Windows.

Anyone buying a Clevo with 8700K that wants Windows 7 needs to be sure to save an OS image in case no Windows 7 drivers are available for Coffee Lake by the time you get it.

Macrium Reflect FTW @Phoenix

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    ole!!!, jaug1337, D2 Ultima and 2 others like this.
  6. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Problem solved: Fernando at win-raid rocks. @Prema - in case any driver stuff is needed for Z370 notebooks with W7.

https://www.win-raid.com/t3146f25-update-SATA-AHCI-Controller.html#msg43183

Now chipset is correctly identified in Device Manager (no longer 200 Series) and we have INF files to integrate in the Windows 7 USB setup thumb drive.

[​IMG]

@dspboys

dspboys, Papusan and ssj92 like this.
  7. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There's a performance penalty for all of those Windows 10 features, data collecting of your activities, creating those reports of your activities, and then sending them off to who knows what end point(s).

You should be proud for doing your part to destroy "Personal Privacy" by running and supporting the use of Windows 10, that 5% performance loss is a small sacrifice for your participation, more sacrifices to follow... :confused::D:eek::p:cool:

Papusan and Mr. Fox like this.
  8. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Yup. And, as if that were not enough, performance is not the only penalty. There are also moral and morale penalties for using the suckiest version of Windows released since Windows Millennium Edition. By installing it we are all contributing to the delinquency of an exceedingly corrupt entity.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  9. Raidriar

Raidriar Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Solution is simple: Don't install Windows 10.

Papusan, Mr. Fox and hmscott like this.
  10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    And, for those planning to move to Z370 chipset, here are the drivers I used to integrate into Windows 7 with the MSMG Toolkit. I just finished a crisp new Windows 7 Ultimate installation onto the 960 Pro with no errors whatsoever. I only had to install Intel ME drivers and WiFi drivers when I was done. Those were the only two "unknown device" in Device Manager.

[Download: W7 x64 Z370 Chipset/USB3.0/USB3.1/Intel RST RAID+AHCI/NVMe Driver INF files]

upload_2017-11-4_16-42-56.png
    @Phoenix

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    ole!!!, ssj92, hmscott and 3 others like this.