Intel Core i7-7700 for gaming in 2020/21/22 ?

Discussion in 'Gaming (Software and Graphics Cards)' started by Kunal Shrivastava, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Kunal Shrivastava

Kunal Shrivastava Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'll keep this simple:
    With the next gen of consoles all rocking multi-threaded CPUs, basically for how long will the core i7-7700 CPU(desktop,not 7700hq/hk) in my clevo unit remain relevant for gaming ?
    -The screen resolution is 1440p,refresh rate is 120hz with g-sync.
    -The GPU is GTX 1080, system ram is 16gb.
    The system was purchased with a hyperthreaded i7 (and not a 4 core i5) specifically with 5-6 years future proofing in mind,so its currently through 50% of its life cycle.
    The GPU performance is still strong, but the CPU numbers are a bit concerning,especially in games like AC origins/oddysey/BF5: the 1080 is just short of being bottlenecked, and indeed is under even very light background activity.
    CPU was not a major concern this gen,especially since the current gen consoles are all rocking essentially overclocked netbook/tablet CPUs. All of that changes with PS5/XSX though, which was unexpected but a welcome change !
    Way I see it, there are a few options here:
    1. Install new NVME SSDs,which will relieve some of the streaming bottlenecks for next gen games, and even many current gen ones. Will be needing atleast 2tb of storage to port some big games and still have reasonable space for upcoming ones, ideally on a single disk so the upgrade definitely wont be cheap. Plan is to swap out one of the 240gb SSDs for a 2/4tb one, and use the 240 in a USB enclosure.
    2. Flash a modded unofficial BIOS and upgrade the CPU to an 8c/16t to match consoles. It can be done,but technicalities aside is obviously not recommended since its unofficial:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...clevo-laptops-rtx-cards-now-supported.825558/
    The BIOS is a straight port from an updated model and way I understand it, there shouldnt be any problems if its done correctly-I always have the option to reflash my old BIOS if anything goes wrong.
    1. Sell the system after ampere/next-gen navi launch and get a mid range system with equivalent GPU performance and an 8 core ryzen. get ray tracing as an added bonus.
    2. And the hardest of all, with potential consequences : Do nothing until the point I need to upgrade. The 9th gen CPUs are almost out of stock, and will definitely get more expensive to source one later in 2021/22.
    Option #4 is why I'm asking, since a replacement to the laptop right now will have to be a new laptop but post 2022 i'll definitely be going in for a high end desktop.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Next to the "average" gaming PC (see the Steam Hardware Survey), yours would still be considered mid to high-end. Mainstream game developers won't throw away most of their customer base by making a game that won't run on your hardware.

Unless your current system isn't performing to your satisfaction, it probably makes sense to stick with what you have unless you just feel like spending money. We're on the cusp of new graphics hardware; AMD has stated its next-gen GPUs will have ray tracing and Nvidia's next-gen cards will have stronger ray tracing than the RTX 20 series. Might as well wait for that and pick up a new system then, assuming you think it's worthwhile.

Charles

ryzeki, MahmoudDewy, JRE84 and 3 others like this.
  3. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Doesn't that laptop work with an 8700k with a small mod and dsanke bios?

4. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Quad cores are dead, due to the consoles having octa core CPUs. But not yet, as when the new console generation first begins we go through a phase of games being developed as cross generation titles, so your i7-7700 will last another 2 years before PC system requirements shift in that direction. Once developers have dropped the netbook CPUs of the X1/PS4, I expect minimum requirements to shift to 6-core/12 thread CPUs.

So, if you are for sure building a desktop in 2022, you might as well hold onto your current system.

saturnotaku, hfm, JRE84 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Deks

Deks Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    As @Kevin mentioned, the CPU itself (while somewhat outdated) should hold out until you decide to upgrade in 2022, however you also seem to have pretty wide range of options at your disposal when it comes to upgrading the existing hw without having to buy a new system.

If you think you need to upgrade, then by all means, do so... one thing I'll suggest however is make sure you're able to backup the BIOS before you flash a custom one, and have means at your disposal to restore the older BIOS if something goes wrong.

Undervolting would also be recommended (obviously).

Short of doing this, you can just upgrade the small things (like the NVme), then sit tight with what you have and just wait until the time you finally buy yourself a completely new/modern system.

6. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There's a nice 6C12T 8086K in the marketplace currently (with cooling in mind, this could be the sweet spot), I feel like it shouldn't be too hard to source a CPU upgrade if you don't mind getting one from eBay or forums (or even AliExpress).

You could then turnaround and sell the 7700K, which would make the upgrade probably not too expensive.

But that also depends if you don't mind potential bugs when using a ported/modded bios.

JRE84 likes this.
  7. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Swapping from the 7700K to 8086K/8700K requires a board upgrade to 370 or 390 series chipsets or newer.

Viability of the CPU though long term shouldn't be an issue nor the monitor / panel / gpu (for now)

1. Install new NVME SSDs,which will relieve some of the streaming bottlenecks for next gen games, and even many current gen ones. Will be needing atleast 2tb of storage to port some big games and still have reasonable space for upcoming ones, ideally on a single disk so the upgrade definitely wont be cheap. Plan is to swap out one of the 240gb SSDs for a 2/4tb one, and use the 240 in a USB enclosure.
    -- Streaming is going to be more your ISP / Router / WIFI than the gust of the system

-- NVME will give you less hassle when it comes to bottlenecks locally... if you have dual NVME slots currently you can get 2 x 1TB for $130/ea and use primary/secondary or even Raid 0 to combine them into a 2TB but, you better have a backup solution since R0 doesn't provide any protection if one fails. If there's also a 2.5" slot you could put your backups there with a 2.5" spinner for cheap enough.

-- NVME 2TB would run you about $229 in the current market to condense things a bit if you don't have the slots and then just backup to an external to keep things cheap... w/o going overboard on price / performance I would opt for the BPX Pro 2TB for the warranty and durability

Option #4 is why I'm asking, since a replacement to the laptop right now will have to be a new laptop but post 2022 i'll definitely be going in for a high end desktop.
    -- build your own and save some money or use the savings for upgrades.... I built a base 8700K for ~$1500 w/ 16GB / 256 NVME / 8TB WD Red / 4 port GigE / DVR Tuner / Fans/Coolers/PSU/etc. I didn't put a GPU in it though because I use it more for a server than a daily use PC.

After a few revamps and ideas and challenging the norms of PC's it's ballooned over budget to a little over 2X the original costs and I've been through 3 different cases due to design changes / implementations but, now it functions as my:
    Router / Switch
    WAP (QWA-AC2600)
    Firewall (iptables)
    DVR (plex)
    NAS
    Media Server
    Backup (Raid 10 w/ 8TB drives and a spare)
    And the list of functions goes on... you get the idea though that the possibilities are endless when you think outside of the big box options. Trimming down from 5-6 devices being plugged in to a single box is nice.

8. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No it doesn't. With some minor hardware mods and a proper BIOS, Coffee Lake CPUs can work on older 1- and 2-series chipsets.

Aroc likes this.
  9. TheReciever

TheReciever D! For Dragon!

Reputations:
    Unofficially of course, but I may add that a majority of the shared information on this lovely forum is mad scientists laying out the ground work and precedent for others to take full advantage of.

Love this forum :)

10. Tech Junky

Tech Junky Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Let's just say with the mad scientist theories we come up with as outlandishly out of spec the ideas are anything is possible.... It kind of depends on how deep you want to get into the mud and the experience someone asking the question has to complete the desired result.

I for instance did an upgrade for my laptop panel that wasn't documented anywhere...even here until I wrote up the thread going from FHD > QHD when all sources say it shouldn't / couldn't be done including sellers of the panel saying they wouldn't sell for the reasons of incompatibility.