1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Intel Announces Three New ULV Processors for Notebooks Discussion

Discussion in 'Notebook News and Reviews' started by Charles P. Jefferies, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Lasted edited by : May 7, 2015
  2. R3d

R3d Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Cool, I wonder how the performance is.

3. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Definitely fine for 99% of people. I tested a few notebooks with the old Intel ULV Core 2 Duo processors, and they performed perfectly fine even for moderate gaming. See here:
    Alienware M11x Review

All processors should be ULV, in my opinion, though the full voltage CPUs should still be around obviously for power users.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The key difference between these ULV CPUs and the normal ones is that they have been tested to run at the higher frequencies at lower-than-normal voltages. What we don't know, however, is whether the normal CPUs would also run at these lower voltages if only Intel hadn't locked them or whether the ULV CPUs are the exception with many chips tested and only a few suitable.

Also, I haven't read the small print about the ULV CPUs but I would expect that the maximum turbo speed is subject to the power ceiling and may only be attained with one CPU core loaded and no significant graphics load. In the same way, my i5-2520M may claim to be 3.2GHz but will only sustain 3GHz when under load (with HWiNFO32 reporting a CPU package power of about 22W).

Anyone can get a feel for how the ULV CPU would perform by going into the advanced power properties and changing the maximum processor state from 100% to 99%. In my case this small change dropped the CPU speed from 3GHz to 2.5GHz with the CPU voltage at 1.11V and the reported CPU package power became around 17.5W - in the same range as the ULV CPUs.

So maybe there's not a lot of difference between ULV and normal CPUs except that they don't venture into the top performance range where the extra voltage and power is needed to ensure stability. I get the impression that some notebook manufacturers have avoided the extra cost of the ULV CPUs and just applied their own rules to throttle the normal CPUs to avoid overload the cooling system (that seems to be the case with my Toshiba R700).

John

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    There are some specification differences. I wrote at http://forum.notebookreview.com/len...cpu-options-available-x220-3.html#post7625445

6. Mr_Mysterious

Mr_Mysterious Like...duuuuuude

Reputations:
    Am I hoping too much to expect them in a netbook (or some such form factor, that is 12", less than 3.5lbs, excellent heat management and battery life) for under $500 within a year?

Mr. Mysterious

7. sgogeta4

sgogeta4 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    In a netbook under $500, doubtful, especially since these CPUs are like $200+. In an ultraportable over $800, possible.

8. Charles P. Jefferies

Reputations:
    Yes, as noted.

You will find AMD Fusion CPUs and older/stripped-down Intels in that price range.

9. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Mostly Harmless...

Reputations:
    Nice. This in a 14" notebook for under $800 would be ideal. But how is the IGP? As good as the regular mobile IGP>

10. hp79

hp79 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    lol. Who would have thought we would actually be able to get one of these for under $500 within a year?
    I picked up a $480 Toshiba portege r835 with intel i5-2435m (2.4GHz/3GHz turbo) weighs 3.2 pounds, 13.3" screen, has dvdrw, battery lasts 7.5 hours (normal internet with power saving), and has excellent heat management (not the best, but works well when it's not loaded at 100%) from Officemax couple days ago. I also have a Samsung Series 7 Slate with i5-2467M, a ULV cpu, and I didn't really like the performance of it.

I wish Ultrabooks also used normal voltage cpus and let the customers choose the power profile depending on the usage. When all you do is office work and internet, it's much better to have the ability to boost to higher clocks for seconds.