Intel/AMD uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by THEBOSS619, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    hmscott, THEBOSS619 and Papusan like this.
  2. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  3. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Vasudev and THEBOSS619 like this.
  4. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Gawd, sorry for the link immediately below your post. Embarrassed. I started at page #1, skimmed through looking for that github link, then said “F-it”, I gotta get back to work. Hah, you had it posted immediately above mine. :confused: *Mod* please erase my redundant link/post.

Good lookin out Boss. I was stoked to find it & share -but you already had it covered. My bad. Thanks!

Vasudev and THEBOSS619 like this.
  5. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    I would like to announce that I may not be able to be active or consistent for the incoming weeks (5~6 weeks) due to I'll be out side country related to my job.... lately I was trying to balance out but the pressure was increasing through time until the time it came that I will not be at home so... I will try my best to be able to be present here from time to time or whenever there's new things happening.

Life first than anything else :)

hmscott, Riley Martin and Vasudev like this.
  6. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    For real! Happy travels. Thanks for all your hard work! :)

hmscott and THEBOSS619 like this.
  7. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    I'm still having problems with Enabling Spectre protection via the GRC tool. I've successfully used Jacob Klein's microcode extractor tool with latest Intel Microcode. Haswell i7-4700MQ. Windows 7 (latest Simplix updates applied). Registry Tweak applied (cpumupdate "Start" value from 2 modified to 1). "Enable Spectre Protection" is still greyed out. MBAM is my RealTime AV (which has registry fix). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks much! :)

THEBOSS619 likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    MBAM 3.x?

THEBOSS619 likes this.
  9. Riley Martin

Reputations:
    Thanks man. MBAM 3.5.1.2522. I use MBAM on both my Win7 machines. InSpectre works fine on my Skylake i7-6700 (Gigabyte BIOS update though). The uCode workaround had been working on my Toshiba Haswell 4700MQ -but now Spectre Protection is greyed out. I can't figure it out. w/ new microcode the machine's fan runs less, benchmarks feel better than before (didn't run any though), but feels good. Its still a solid machine w/ 16GB RAM, & 2 SSD's -I'm happy w/ it. D*mn Toshiba (and Intel).

Jacob Klein's tool is working -the microcode.dat file it extracts is the right KB size. GRC/InSpectre notes Microcode Update available (306C3).

Hmmm... maybe I'll look into a MBAM glitch? I really appreciate your reply and any help.

THEBOSS619 and Vasudev like this.
  10. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Have you tried to do it without MBAM? Or at least disabling all MBAM functions? It may narrow down the cause of problem and find out is it MBAM fault or something else :)

Sorry for the late reply :)

Vasudev likes this.