Intel/AMD uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Simply update OP putting a disclaimer in Red Color saying Meant for advanced users. Anyway, users of Linux and W10 are protected by uCodes now. uCodes supports from Broadwell and upwards.

2. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks to @Vasudev for providing information for this update, Post is updated :)

Change Log:-
    -
    Updated post with newer Intel Microcode (Only for andvanced users)
    - Added [Advanced User Sections] with red lines to avoid confusion :)
    - Revised the main post with some clearer information & corrected spelling mistakes here & there :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Riley Martin, hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  3. Vasudev

Reputations:
    One thing I didn't understand is this "Post updated depending on Vasudev"?

6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 and hmscott like this.
  4. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    I meant with your suggestions I did it :)

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What we usually say in English is, thanks to @personthatfoundit for providing the info for this update.

or something like that.

Which is what you said, right. You depended on @Vasudev 's input or information for this update. :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Vasudev and 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9 like this.
  6. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Yup :)

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  7. Riley Martin

Riley Martin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Am i the only paranoid A55h0le who ran your hard work through VT first? :) Thanks so much for your efforts! Very cool. I'll give it a go as I DL the .zip to thumb drive -which I'll try on my uCode machine later tonight. Thanks very much! :)

8. Vasudev

Reputations:
    If you're on win 10 v1709 and above and modern linux distros you're probably have uCode patch installed. uCode are applied for Broadwell and above CPUs from Intel. If yours is older, then @THEBOSS619 uCode fix will work 100%.
    I'd recommend carrying a zip as opposed to the extracted archive since malware can change the contents easily since there aren't any protection to prevent changes to inf files.
    EDIT: @THEBOSS619
    I got hold off newer Ryzen uCOdes and you must modify the inf and bat files for the uCode patch

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    Update:
    Jacob Klein made a SW to convert those bin files to dat and merged everything into microcode.dat
    Big thanks to Jacob Klein http://wp.xin.at/archives/4397#comment-154115
    Converter can be found here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgP0NBEuAPQRpdoWT_3G3XCdotPmWQ
    So we have Updated Intel uCodes and AMD Ryzen( Don't worry older ones are present too!) with modified script inside inf driver and install.bat files to incorporate new ucodes from AMD.
    AMD Ryzen uCodes were downloaded from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amd64-microcode
    Used this package to be specific https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/amd64-microcode_3.20180524.1_amd64.deb

For those who are worried if I'm a hacker and distrust me, they can open cpumcupdate.inf & install.bat where I've added a comment "new line" followed by my additions. Be sure to change the file permission from read-only to writable which can be done going into Properties and simply un-checking Read-Only option.
    SHA1 Hash: C128985F1A43EB41A5C7DC67E156BDD721AD81D7
    Ryzen uCodes aren't tested so proceed with caution and make an image of your system using Macrium Reflect just in case, something bad occurs.

@THEBOSS619 Sorry mate too many updates at a time, sorry for the trouble and can you please update OP. Just in case uninstall prev. ucode package and see if the new one works alright! ;)

Changelog:

• Supports almost all Intel CPUs and AMD released till date.
    • Used Jacob Klein Microcode converter and used Debian's amd64 microcode package which was unpackaged to get bin files

Attached Files:

10. 6.|THE|1|BOSS|.9

Reputations:
    Thank you so much for the information & providing your time to help :) I will update OP as we speak :) and testing this on my own laptop :) AMD users will surely be happy about it :D

No need to say sorry at all :) by the way.. who dares to distrust you ;)