Intel/AMD uCode fix for Spectre, HT bug fix and Meltdown.

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by THEBOSS619, Jun 29, 2017.

1. THEBOSS619

THEBOSS619 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This applies on all ROG Laptops & Non ROG Laptops too.. including PC too with broken Hyper-threading due to a bug on Microcode CPU + uCode fix for Spectre and Meltdown..
    Updated Guide on [Aug. 29 2018]

Hello everyone... My name is Ehab H. aka THEBOSS619 or T.B.619 from Egypt.... anyway if you are not advanced or intermediate PC user... please save your self from trouble and forget it.

I would like to help for those who are using any kind of Microsoft Windows OS [example:- Win7,8,8.1,10] as this kind of microcode bug is not affecting linux only but to other OS as well so.... I would like to give a solution to SkyLake, Kaby Lake, Haswell, Broadwell, Ivybridge, Xeons and AMD cpu's.

First of all...

[Here-]
    Go to this link ---> Click Here to get an idea or learn how to upgrade your CPU Microcode to the lastest version. It is detailed enough there. :)

[or-]
    You can go an easy way by downloading from my attachment ;) thanks to @Vasudev method

Extract the zip file and then you will find this file named [Install.bat] just simply click on it and you can stop here. You are done (^.^) Enjoy! :).

Whenever you wanted to remove this update.. just simply click [Uninstall.bat] file ;)

* I got my CPU Skylake 6700HQ on ASUS ROG GL552VX Laptop with this code 0x506E3 and Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3 and I successfully updated my CPU Microcode to the lastest version and it works like a charm! also this update fixes many cpu bugs including CPU flaws (especially ones dealing with sleep and hibernation) and as it fixes other processor issues as well (like heat issues and CPU locking at high frequencies, etc...).

Anyway... thumps up this post or make it stick on the top of the list so that everyone benefit from it :)

This post is made purely by me by my own effort [with the help from notebookreview.com link that I provided above].
    The idea for this solution came to my mind after reading this ... Click Here
    Credits to @Vasudev for an easy one click step :) .
    Credits to Jacob Klein http://wp.xin.at/archives/4397#comment-154115 for providing easy way to convert .bin files to .dat files easily! :)
    Converter can be found here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgP0NBEuAPQRpdoWT_3G3XCdotPmWQ

Note:- If you want to use or install old microcodes I have made a google drive were I keep old microcode just in case :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qUVS1G-T-vEKf8stXEGQ54lN_eRo8VhM

Up-to-date Microcode will always be on posts attachments while older Microcode will be on my Google Drive link ;)

Currently the one on the post attachment is 04/25/2018 Intel Microcode

Ryzen uCodes aren't tested so proceed with caution and make an image of your system using Macrium Reflect just in case, something bad occurs.

---------------------------------------------------------------For Advanced Users Only------------------------------------------------------------
    Those new intel microcodes files on Intel-ucode folder are binary files so... I tried this python script to convert binary file to a text counterpart (.dat) and it works! :)

for those who is interested or like to be risky.. you can find the python script on this link:- http://www.codegists.com/snippet/python/bin2datpy_aikoncwd_python
    Copy the python code to a txt file and then rename it whatever you like but be sure the extension will not be a .txt file but to be .py so that python script works ;)

Find the file to which is related to your CPU [You must know which file on Intel-ucode folder is specific to your CPU] to convert binary files to .dat files

How to find your specific ucode file... is to know your CPU ID through RW-everything and then find your file.. for example..
    I just find mine by knowing it through the file names.. for example:- My CPU ID was 506e3 so... I go to the Intel-ucode folder and started looking for it... so how would you know which file is made for your cpu? by looking to your CPU ID.. start searching which in my case it was 06-5e-03 file which is equal to my CPU ID=506e3... if you look carefully .. you will find there is similarity on numbers and letters so.. you can try :)

By the way.. the Python script have safe measurements because it reads your CPU ID on your current computer and then it asks you if this is your CPU ID and then it compares what you selected from the Intel-ucode.. if it doesn't match.. the python will terminate the process.. if it found a match.. it will convert your file to .dat file which you will be able to use it to upgrade your CPU Microcode ;)

To save you sometime I converted the binary files to .dat files... and would like to share the current microcodes that Intel released on there official website 04/25/2018 ... I successfully converted all the binary file to .dat file in order to work on windows :) I found a way to convert it all at once through python script better than selecting file by file to convert it ;)

Here is it for those people who like to test it but in order to find which microcode for your current CPU... As I mentioned on the previous paragraph how to find it :) anyway.. here is the link :) ---> https://drive.google.com/open?id=15v5hYB-hPD-sLd6CXPnfCrm6ouoQgfEm<---- this is only for skylake CPUs microcode because to be able to have all the microcodes for all kind of CPU I must have the CPU physically which is impossible :)

Note:- All Microcodes are not tested

Only 1 microcode are tested which is [06-5e-03.dat] file because this microcode is related to 6700HQ according to CPU ID which is 506e3 :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. valuxin

valuxin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Idk what was wrong with HT on older microcodes, but I see no difference between new one and old one (have sBIOS updates with both of them). Might be it's only applicable for super old BIOS versions.

hmscott and Vasudev like this.
  3. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Then I think you must read carefully here.... this fix is only for a specific skylake cpu it is not for all skylake CPU :) only those who got the code as I mentioned above will be fixed from HT bug.

Read here if you are not believing it :) https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html.

Also...I'm offering help for those who use only windows because officially windows doesn't have an option to update your Microcode CPU except through BIOS updates so..... what I am offering here is this is the only way to update it without needing a BIOS update nor waiting from OEM or vendor to provide a BIOS update (which we all know.. they are always late like 1 year delay or never provide any BIOS Update).

4. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Changelog [7/7/2017]:-
    - updated broken link + added mirror ;)
    - added @Vasudev method :)
    - updated some info.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    hmscott, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  6. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Thank you @Vasudev I updated my guide including your updated link ;) .
    I have tested it and works wonderfully

Changelog:-
    - Included solution for KabyLake users
    - Updated links
    - Updated information + Credits :)
    - Made guide more simpler and easier for users ;) .

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. Vasudev

Reputations:
    @THEBOSS619: This microcode simply fixed my sluggish performance on my older Lenovo PC having Pentium and my sis's PC having Broadwell.
    This update can be applied by everyone regardless of PC's age. Haswell, Ivybridge and Xeons.

hmscott and THEBOSS619 like this.
  8. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    Thanks for testing & for your valuable info. :) I only got 1 laptop which is 6th gen 6700HQ so I couldn't confirm would it work with others generation of CPU's :)

Updating my guide ASAP :D

Vasudev and hmscott like this.
  9. Vasudev

Reputations:
    You could say, fixes for Haswell heat issues and CPU locking at high frequencies. I can say apply it on virtually any CPU made by intel. Also, you can update it on ASUS ROG forums too.
    A little off-topic: Is there any method to dump BIOS from Aptio IV/V from ASUS, Mine simply returns an error stating it is only read only.
    EDIT: See this link for more info. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/intel-microcode/+changelog

THEBOSS619 and hmscott like this.
  10. THEBOSS619

Reputations:
    I will do it ;) , but need more evidence for that... sorry if I was little late to answer :)

about the BIOS... I think you are entering the BIOS as a user .. not as a administrator

Do you see when entering the BIOS on the first page at Acess level : administrator ? or user? what does it says exactly? :)

for example this....

[​IMG]

If you are administrator you should be able to take a dump BIOS ;) other than that... I can't help , sorry :)

Vasudev likes this.