Intel 7260?

Discussion in 'Networking and Wireless' started by Aeny, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are they released yet? I orignally found out about them trying to install Proset 16.0.0.0.3 but it turned out these only support the three variants of the 7260. A quick Google search later it looked like not a lot of websites are paying attention to this yet.

One of the 3 supports AC, the other two seems to just differ in supporting vPRO or not (and N speed max!). All support bluetooth. I'll leave some Intel ARK links here if anyone is interested. Amazon has a page up but the item is unavailable. Found another site as well offering them for $29 dollars.

Anyone has any idea when or if there will be 7300's out? Hoping for 3x3 AC with Bluetooth :D Hopefully these will use the digital magic Intel once spoke of to make them more energy efficient and things like that.

Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 (ark)
    Intel Dual Band Wireless N 7260 (ark)
    Intel Wireless N 7260 (ark)
    Amazon (dead link now)
    Compsource (with price for AC model)

~Aeny

2. chenxiaolong

chenxiaolong Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Interesting how there's zero news about this. I just found out about the 7260 from the new Intel wifi driver in Linux kernel 3.9: kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git - Linux kernel source tree :) I only see support for two variants of the dual band AC 7260 and two variants of an (unannounced?) single band AC 3160. The two variants for each are probably a BIOS-whitelist-locked version and a regular version.

I don't see the point in the wireless N models though, since neither are better than the 6235.

Anyway, glad to see that the 7260 is only $29. It's good to see some cheaper AC-stuff for a change!

3. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I could be better if it's on a smaller production process, or if they use that digital magic I've once read about somewhere.. But I guess that's only going to lower heat and power consumption. I wish Intel would hurry up already and release the things, Perhaps launched alongside Haswell?
    ~Aeny

4. Nspace

Nspace Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Uhmm it is June already, they are up on ARK... but cannot find a seller.
    Could you provide your link Aeny?
    Thanks

I am looking for the power consumption redux,
    My old Centrino wireless card On versus Off, produces between half to 1 hour of less battery run...

5. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'd instantly buy one for potential powersavings and the fact that the last 4 or so drivers from Intel somehow destroy my 6300's speed. But to my knowledge no one actually reviewed/tested this card yet so there might be no reduction of power usage at all.

I was actually referring to the compsource link in the OP.
    They claim to have stock and claim to ship on the same day. I've never ordered from that site but if you really want one give it a try I guess. Also make sure you're getting the RIGHT version since there seems to be 3 or so versions of the 7260.
    If you do order one/get one I'd love to hear back what you think of these cards.
    ~Aeny

6. oled

oled Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Interesting that it comes in both PCIe (HMC) and NGFF (M.2) version. Both single sided.

7. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  8. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yep, no official drivers as far as I know, but yesterday I found some again and upon inspecting why they would install but silently not install the driver I found out it was another 7260 driver only. Intel proset v 16.0.4.1 (64bit only)

I'm also waiting for a 3x3 AC + bluetooth or a 3x3 AC only since I already got (really crappy) bluetooth build in. But since there seems to be no drivers for it and no mention in the linux kernel as far as I know perhaps there isn't going to be one soon. :(
    ~Aeny

9. WhatsThePoint

WhatsThePoint Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    When I first saw the 16.0.4.1 Wireless ProSet I unpacked it but there wasn't an INF with supported wireless cards.

Today there's a 16.0.5.3 driver version on station-drivers

Hoping my AC-7260 is shipped today.

10. Tim4

Tim4 Alchemist

Reputations:
    Will be waiting for your feedback. I am also interested in that wireless card.