Intel 660p 1 TB M.2 QLC NVMe SSD $109.99 + tax @ MicroCenter

Discussion in 'Notebook and Tech Bargains' started by saturnotaku, Mar 9, 2019.

1. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Another awesome storage deal from MicroCenter. While I would never use a QLC NAND drive in a mission-critical application, for most users, this is a fantastic amount of storage that's reasonably fast for a bargain price.

Link

2. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's a reason that the 660p is just about the cheapest SSD -- SATA or NVMe -- out there. After the SLC cache is full, performance starts to look like a hard drive (http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/intel-ssd-660p-m-2-nvme-ssd-review-1tb/6/). Intel doesn't position it as anything but an entry-level solution, and many workloads will be fine with it, but just be aware that if you have large data needs, it's probably not the best choice.

3. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The SLC cache on the 1 TB model is 12 GB, which will be more than enough for the overwhelming majority of home PC users. Anyone with a heavy workload will want to go with a Samsung 970 Pro or straight to an enterprise-class drive.

4. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The cache isn't quite that bad...it's 130 GB, not 12 or 13 GB. But it's not only throughput, but also latency, that goes through the floor on the 660p when the cache is blown through.

Again, if that's what your needs are, OK -- just be aware that it has limitations that are much more severe than other NVMe (or even SATA) SSDs don't.

5. Raidriar

Raidriar ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Reputations:
    Bleh QLC....

6. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    My thoughts exactly!

MLC = King of sustained performance and endurance
    TLC = Good cheap option with average sustained performance, lower endurance, not recommended unless you're on a really tight budget!
    QLC = Pure garbage to trick people into thinking oh wow! I got a good deal on this shiny 1TB SSD!

7. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not disagreeing, just elaborating a bit.

A lot of enterprise drives these days (I suspect mostly read-optimized ones) are TLC (or, as Samsung calls it, 3-bit MLC). QLC is another matter. But the 660p performs particularly poorly even by QLC standards when one gets into fairly large amounts of data. Granted, not everyone is going to write 150TB onto it right away, but at that point, it's down to HDD performance, and under suffiient load, even the latency gets into HDD territory.

The big thing about NVMe drives in general in typical single user applications is just how much benefit is to be gained with throughput above 500 MB/sec. The latency of NVMe drives is also better, but even SATA SSDs have pretty good latency, so either you need something that has really extreme random access needs or can source/sink data at faster than SATA throughput. Raw speeds & feeds are the kinds of things we high end types like to talk about, but unless you're serving a lot of data over a lot of very fast channels, you're probably going to have trouble doing that. For even hard core g4m3rz like you, there's likely precious little difference between any SSD.

saturnotaku and Ultra Male like this.
  8. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    That 660p looks better than the 1tb 600p (32Gb SLC cache) I have, which craters to an average of 90Mb/sec after about 38Gb continuous writes.

No complaints as I bought it as a secondary drive knowing that

If the 660p gets 130Gb out of a 12Gb SLC buffer they've done something impressive with the buffer management. If you don't see yourself writing 130gb to the drive and waiting there twiddling your thumbs waiting for it to finish, it's not going to be an issue.

saturnotaku likes this.
  9. rlk

rlk Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I will grant that I'm one of those people for whom 130 GB is not an especially large amount of data, and that certainly colors my thinking.

alexhawker likes this.