Intel’s Core-X i9 and i7 series (x299) & Xeon (1P/2P)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, May 12, 2017.

1. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Damn I thought all were Clubbed together mobile, LGA and Xeons too.

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No... this is an old thread, within days of being a year old about the new release of x299 CPU's and motherboard's back then... :)

Dr. AMK accidentally posted a bunch of info here instead of in the new thread, and all those posts were deleted or moved here:

Intel Core i7-8750H/ i7-8850H/ i9-8950H Coffee Lake
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...0h-i9-8950h-coffee-lake.810891/#post-10706961

Vasudev likes this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Maybe @Vasudev was blinded by the i9 branding:D

Vasudev likes this.
  4. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yeah. I thought they folded everything into one product instead of umbrella products with different features and silicon quality and bins.

5. hmscott

Reputations:
    No, they aren't at all related, are produced in different production runs, in different locations, and using different processes.

Wafers aren't cut up and used across products, they aren't made to be able to fit into different carriers for different sockets, that's fantasy thinking overrunning reality. :)

Let's stop here now, and take the new product discussions into the right threads, all of this is OT here.

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    Dr. AMK and Papusan like this.
  7. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations:
    Intel’s 9th Gen CPUs Need A New Motherboard AGAIN?!

8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Intel Announces EOL Plan for Kaby Lake-X Processors
    by Anton Shilov on May 1, 2018 12:00 PM EST
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/12701/intel-announces-eol-plan-for-kaby-lakex-processors

"Intel this week revealed plans to discontinue its Kaby Lake-X processors. The chips will not be supported by the company’s upcoming X399 platform for high-end desktops, so initialization of their EOL program is not surprising. Interested parties will be able to get their Core i5/Core i7 processors in LGA2066 packaging for about a year, but they will need to order the chips by the end of November.

Intel on Monday announced plans to discontinue all versions (tray and boxed) of its Core i5-7640X and Core i7-7740X CPUs. PC makers and component resellers interested in these processors will have to order them by November 30, 2018. Intel will ship the final codenamed Kaby Lake-X chips by May 31, 2019, so technically interested parties have a year to buy these chips if they need them.

Intel introduced its Core i5-7640X and Core i7-7740X CPUs in mid-2017 in order to enable hardcore enthusiasts and professional overclockers to set overclocking records using quad-core Kaby Lake-X CPUs while taking advantage of the company’s latest HEDT platform. Usage of the X299-based motherboards with LGA2066 form-factor ensures better power supply to processors and thus helps to hit higher clocks. The plan was heavily criticized by product reviewers and motherboard makers since Kaby Lake-X CPUs require different voltages and memory kits than the high core count Skaylake-X CPUs. Furthermore, the launch of Intel’s six-core Coffee Lake processors in October made Kaby Lake-X products considerably less attractive."

Intel Admits It Made A MAJOR Mistake!
    UFD Tech
    Published on May 2, 2018

Dr. AMK likes this.
  9. ole!!!

ole!!! Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/04/09/intel_rumors_kaby_lakex_skylakex_cascade_lake

"Intel is looking to target bins pushing ~5GHz on 12 and 14 core parts (WOW!) with an estimated TDP range of 275w to 300w on Socket R. This TDP bump will assuredly will require new VRM layouts on motherboards, so we will see some new boards out to address..."

@Mr. Fox @TANWare @ajc9988 @tilleroftheearth @Papusan time to go full desktop and ditch laptop.

thanks to AMD upping the core and zen's IPC, intel realized the only real way for them to stay ahead before giving out 10nm+ would be to push more cores as well as having frequency lead. this might be a sign of saying good bye to IPC improvement and just frequency push from this point on, P3 all over again.

in the end, time will tell, intel got a lot of fixes before i'd jump in. few things to improve includes:
    - overclocking mesh frequency 4000mhz +
    - heat/efficiency (comes with 10nm+ and beyond)
    - turbo boost max 3.0 that actually works

Dr. AMK and Papusan like this.
  10. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK The Strategist

Reputations: