Intel’s Core-X i9 and i7 series (x299) & Xeon (1P/2P)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, May 12, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The Title did say that... "My 16-core editing rig is COMPLETE!"

Hmmm, I always thought it was clear the bold title was the title for the video, not a comment from me...should I add "'s around Titles too??

Fixed it :)

"My 16-core editing rig is COMPLETE!" - that's the Title of Video, that is not my PC.

"Does your Dog Bite?"

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  2. hmscott

Reputations:
    i9-7920X Overclocking on MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC (en)

Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  3. Papusan

Papusan BGABOOKS = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    AMD Threadripper vs. Intel Core i9 CPUs Clock for Clock - Tweaktown.com

At stock, if we set the 1950X as the standard, we are getting roughly 29% more overall, 26% more in gaming, and 28% more productivity performance from the 7960X compared to the 1950X. However, the kicker is, you would also be paying 78% more for the 7960X, meaning you would be getting 30% more performance for 80% more cost. That actually isn't that uncommon in high-performance devices, and that's because as they break into these higher niche areas, price scales exponentially.
    [​IMG]
    Once you remove buyers who value "price vs. performance", then you get into another subset of buyers. However, if you need 16 cores, and you don't want to sell a kidney for it, then at stock the 1950X is an extremely powerful option, especially for its price. If money is not an issue (for most it is), then Intel does offer a bit more.

Edit. Intel Optane SSD 900p Makes a Secret Appearance - has PCI Express 4.0 interface What's the point with upgrade only the cpu late 2018/2019 although AMD can offer this for current platform?
    @tilleroftheearth @ole!!! Optane ssd's is still expencive. And ain't option for Notebooks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    jaug1337, Dr. AMK and Vasudev like this.
  5. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lovely.

Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  6. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

Reputations:
    Who's prediction? Yours? (Link...).

I don't see this as a 'failure', per se - high O/C'ing and just needed an additional fan over the VRM to keep everything happily rolling along.

I'm sure the next testing of these M/B's will be looking specifically for these events. ;)

Vasudev, Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    The motherboard cooling should be included, and failure with previously unannounced high core count CPU's - originally nothing over 10 core was announced for i9 - which is the Intel i9 x299 spec the motherboard makers designed for, Intel popped up with much higher power requirement CPU's late in the game, too late to redesign the x299 motherboards.

Steve mentions the video in his video...and I posted it here a while back, here it is again for your convenience :)

The X299 VRM Disaster (en)

X299 VRM Disaster - UPDATE (en)

X299 VRM Heat - Der8auer Collaboration

Fan cooling the VRM's doesn't solve the problem, drawing way more power than the motherboards were designed to support.

Real failures may occur over time. I'd skip i9 release motherboards and wait for a completely redesigned x299 motherboard, heavier duty power delivery, for any i9 CPU over 10 core.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  8. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Thank you for the informative answer! I agree with your conclusion now that I see the real issue here. :)

Video's... that's why I didn't know the details of this issue... (I come here to read - video usually wastes my time).

Dr. AMK and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    It's true, most people believe that, because they aren't used to taking in information via a video, it's funny because that's the medium of the future - audio + video, not straight text alone.

The sense of fantasy available via the written word, interpreting words and what they mean can be reigned in with charts and graphs, but correlating visual movement and tangible examples in a video brings it all together.

It's like being in class and watching the professor lecture, with notes and video enhancements and his voice emphasizing the important parts and points to take away - even if only writing and diagramming live on a chalk board, and describing it in real time to help our understanding, and then getting home and trying to put the memory of the "video / live explanation" against the written text in the book.

There's nothing like having a video of that lecture to refer back to for re-enforcing learning.

They both work together, it does take more skill to make a video than to write an article, assuming the data collected and work put into content is the same.

It's a misconception that an entertaining presentation takes away from the content, and the emphasis in voice and sound along with the video in working on multiple places in your brain for future memory really can help.

I can go either way, but I am often doing many things, and having a video going in the back ground that I can pull up if need be, rather than being of fixed focus stuck reading text is a big improvement in my multi-tasking.

I get enough from the video, others may need the text reading to help information uptake, but it's really the "old way" of doing things, once you are practiced in paying attention by listening and doing something else it really saves time :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Dr. AMK likes this.
  10. tilleroftheearth

Reputations:
    Maybe I'm too old-fashioned then... the only way I learn is to read - and if I was to write an exam - I'd be writing everything (handwritten) if I was serious about passing... :)

I can agree that multimedia presentations are infinitely better than dry words on a page - for a classroom setting.

In the real world? Most can only see one video at 'real time speeds' so that ends up wasting time. It's great that you think you are benefitting by having video playing in the 'background' - the truth is that your perceptions/expectations and your own fantasy/interpretation of the spoken words in those videos (at least the ones you catch...) also dilute the message just as much as reading a properly written article does (as you seem to think).

The difference with words is that I can search (instantly) to re-read any parts I may have misinterpreted. With video? Not so much... (especially the 'instant' part...).

Videos are the way of the future, no doubt. But they're not making anyone inherently smarter vs. reading... TV is a great example of this. So much information 24/7/365 and yet; the same uninformed masses as ever...

Way back when, I too preferred to learn by having a live presentation (even on just a chalkboard) by a good teacher (which were few and far between, btw).

These presenters on almost all the videos you've posted can't hold a candle to any of those old teachers.

Even with the slick, over-produced, edited, and sponsored 'opinions' they're all pushing out; I'd rather spend an hour with a real teacher instead and get an hour's worth of learning. Rather than spend 20 minutes watching to get a sentence or two worth of any real information.

While multimedia/video presentations may convey a lot of information - what it is ultimately used for via youtube is to push an agenda other than simply disseminating objective info.

Also; In written works; I can easily spot where I've misunderstood the author, or; see where their logic/objectivity fails.

In a youtube video; the subtle inferences are often more powerful (subconsciously) than the main points being made - and in anything over a few minutes long - would be just that much harder and too time consuming to see/prove if logic/objectivity was sacrificed for the purpose of a few more clicks/views/subscriptions...

hmscott likes this.