Intel’s Core-X i9 and i7 series (x299) & Xeon (1P/2P)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Dr. AMK, May 12, 2017.

1. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.
  2. Dr. AMK

Dr. AMK Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    550730-intel-coffee-lake-8th-gen-processors.jpg

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Aorus Gaming 9: X299 Motherboard from Gigabyte + Linux Test (incl IOMMU)

Dr. AMK likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    The Lizardmen At Intel Wont Let You Have Cores | CRIT Show 0033

Dr. AMK likes this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Intel Stock Cooler on STEROIDS? Another Intel Fail :)

6. hmscott

Reputations:
    der8auer Delid Die Mate X Review - X299 Delid Tool For Kaby Lake-X & Skylake-X CPUs

Dr. AMK and Papusan like this.
  7. hmscott

Reputations:
    Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex Review

Dr. AMK likes this.
  8. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    Intel Core i9-7920X Skylake-X Processor Delidded Revealing Massive Monolithic Die
    [​IMG]
    delidding and one of the reasons why adventurous overclockers attempt the risky procedure is to replace the thermal interface material (TIM) with higher quality paste. It is also neat to see what a naked processor looks like, and to that end, der8auer posted an image to Facebook showing a delidded Intel Core i9-7920X processor.

The Core i9-7920X is a high-end desktop (HEDT) chips based on Intel's performance oriented Skylake-X architecture. It is not the top chip in the Skylake-X stack—that rung is occupied with the Core i9-7980XE Extreme Edition—but is just as big (physically) as the rest of the enthusiast lineup. Here is a look:

[​IMG]

Isn't she a beauty? The Core i9-7920X is also quite the powerhouse—it boasts 12 physical cores and 24 threads of computing muscle, with a 2.9GHz base clock and 4.3GHz Turbo clock (or 4.4GHz if boosting just a single core). This is supplemented with 16.5MB of L3 cache. And perhaps more importantly for power users, the Core i9-7920X offers access to 44 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes.

It takes a bit of bravery to delid this chip, as it carries a retail price of $1,199. In the old days, delidding was a delicate process that involved heat, a razor, a steady hand, lots of patience, and maybe a bit of ill-placed courage. And in some cases all of that still applies. However, der8auer designed a special tool called the Delid-Die-Mate X that makes the process easier.

There is still some risk involved, though overclockers who are looking to squeeze the most performance out their Skylake-X chips may find that it is worth it. That is because Intel is still using a TIM solution underneath the heatspreader instead of higher quality solder. Applying better TIM than what Intel is using can lower temperatures, which potentially yields greater overclocking headroom.

hmscott, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  9. Dr. AMK

Reputations:
    Intel Xeon W Processors Likely Brains And Brawn Behind New iMac Pro, Other Top Workstations
    Intel is ready to assault the workstation market with the release of new processors that are part of the Xeon W family. Intel claims that the Xeon W series processors up to 1.36x times faster than their previous generation counterparts, and are up to 1.87x faster than chips from four years ago.

[​IMG]

All of the new Xeon W processors are built on Intel’s 14nm+ processor technology, support Intel Mesh architecture, slot into LGA 2066 motherboards and come with 48 PCIe 3.0 lanes. You can also expect full support for Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, quad-channel DDR4-2666 ECC memory, and AVX-512 acceleration.

hmscott, Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  10. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Looks like Intel is releasing prototypes which were slated to release in 2025, because of Zen master they decided to use it now to avoid losing market share and money.

hmscott and Dr. AMK like this.