Insyde hacking - New Vaio Z - Advanced menu in BIOS

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by psyq321, Apr 4, 2010.

1. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    the RAID configuration however is totally independent from the BIOS hack. Means you can switch RAID setup on in the unhacked BIOS, reboot and do all configuration there, like breaking and rebuilding the RAID volume - if you so wish.

But where did you read Ubuntu would mess up the raid? I don't think it would? Windows 10 did that in some cases - in its early days, but AFAIK they fixed that later on.
    You can delete the partitions on the volume but the volume itself should stay intact.
    Then create the Linux partitions on the existing volume. You can also create 2 or more partitions e.g. for a multi boot.

And remember you can always change the SSDs, and even get rid of RAID altogether, even without tinkering with the BIOS hack (where you could actually brick your VAIO).

2. BrunoPGomes

BrunoPGomes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not clear what you mean.
    1. Have you managed to prove to yourself that the machine will boot off a USB stick? Have you made a clone of your SSD or generated the DVDs needed to reinstall windows from the existing machine? If you haven't, do that first. You will then have a recovery environment.
    2. If you want to install Ubuntu then do what you need to install it, I presume by wiping out the original installation. If this fails you can always boot and clone back from the image you made.
    Why does Raid0 come into your deliberations. Do you really need to break the array for some reason?

galaxyge likes this.
  3. Juerg

Juerg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I hope my question is not out of scope for this thread:
    When they write that to contain the threat of Meltdown and Spectre, one needs updates for the antivirus, browsers, operating system (all clear to me) AND the firmware (not clear to me). Does that mean the patched Z1 BIOS would require an update (which Sony probably won't provide?), or is there other firmware involved?
    I am curious whether there is anything one can do on a Z1 to reduce the risk.
    Cheers

galaxyge likes this.