Insyde hacking - New Vaio Z - Advanced menu in BIOS

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by psyq321, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Barlas Gural

Barlas Gural Newbie

Reputations:
    There are no gpu settings in this one, do you have a py with the changeble gpu settings? im planning to put an eGPU on my sony vaio vpcz12m9e model and need to manage the primary gpu settings or display settings . can use some help please :D

2. Barlas Gural

Barlas Gural Newbie

Reputations:
  3. Barlas Gural

Barlas Gural Newbie

Reputations:
  4. tazedd

tazedd Newbie

Reputations:
    I've been researching to install Ubuntu. An IT on my intern, installed windows8 on my VPCZ1190X but, the drivers don't seem to work for the graphics card. The z also has a RAID0. I think he left the computer in a worse state than it was. Is it necessary to hack the BIOS in order to fresh install windows 7 (downgrade), or just go with the latest Ubuntu?

5. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A lot has been written about the graphics drivers issues of these devices, and now it all depends on what you plan to do with this device.

Windows 7 in a clean install would be a perfect match, it works with the original drivers and also prevents you from getting into potentially serious trouble with the original SSDs in RAID0. But W7 is nearing EOL as you know and you might miss some features from other modern OS.

Any flavour of Ubuntu, LinuxMint or similar distributions should also be able to cope with it pretty well, though I would not start with Ubuntu 17.10 but rather wait (four months) for 18.4, the next long term release, as LTS generally provide better drivers support, and will be maintained for five years to come.

Windows 8, 8.1, 10, yes - but be prepared for challenges and yes it only makes sense with the forementionend BIOS hack.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  6. tazedd

tazedd Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey! thanks for the quick reply. Well, I was hoping going with latest LTS Ubuntu. So, I'll be going with that option.

I already got the files ready for the BIOS, but since I don't know what the IT guy did. I wanted to ask before hand.

I just hack the BIOS and install Ubuntu?

7. galaxyge

galaxyge Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think you need to hack the BIOS to run Ubuntu. You could try to run Ubuntu from a Live system, or just install and see how it goes.

I cannot say for 100%, because I hacked the BIOS and then installed Windows 10 plus LinuxMint in a multi boot.

If you choose to do the hack, be careful and stop if things don't work as described here.

8. tazedd

tazedd Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks again. I'll be running through a usb to see if it works fine. Since vaio vpcz1 is on W8 and graphic card is not recognized. The pc fans accelerates for a while and I'm afraid to damage it. Under device manager in display adapters the nvidia has a warning sign.

9. BrunoPGomes

BrunoPGomes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Did you go as far as applying the bios hack yet? Do that first, go into the BIOS and change the video setting to manual. Then turn off, switch the mode switch on the top left to 'stamina' mode - boot into windows - it should work - and apply the video patches. Once you've proved that windows works in both modes, install your multi-boot environment and install Ubuntu.

When you are sure you can operate the machine in Ubuntu you now have the option to remove the other environments - and presumably you can manage the partitions and boot manager to handle that......

10. tazedd

tazedd Newbie

Reputations:
    I haven't applied it, yet. I read in another post that is not necessary for Ubuntu. What's still holding me up fixing it is the RAID0. If I try to install normally it will wipe it. And Im afraid to brick the vaio