Insyde hacking - New Vaio Z - Advanced menu in BIOS

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by psyq321, Apr 4, 2010.

1. BrunoPGomes

BrunoPGomes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Go into the BIOS. It allows one to select external boot, and with that, the sequence of bootable devices to search. Once that's up try booting from the USB stick - it should work fine. If one USB port fails, try the other- they have different channels to the MBO, it may be that one USB port is down.

I've not tried Sony's BIOS flasher for this. However I can confirm that it worked fine using the Flas*it exe. If you are getting VSS errors I suggest you look at the first post in this thread, it enables one to find the VSS offset location and go from there. The European VSS offset is definitely different to the USA one.

Edit. This worked on a friend's Z13 from the UK http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...aio-z-advanced-menu-in-bios-utilities.795409/.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    colibridesmontagnes likes this.
  2. colibridesmontagnes

colibridesmontagnes Newbie

Reputations:
    I've looked again in the first post for my VSS error but the link http://thechaw.com/insydecodr is down and I have absolutely zero knowledge about Python...
    My laptop is an European one and I've got the very latest BIOS, the R3031C3 one.

3. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Did you try the tools in the link I provided in my previous post?

4. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Post No 85 (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...anced-menu-in-bios.473226/page-9#post-6120998) should enable you to find the VSS. Read the posts from that point and it enables you to build up a picture of how to proceed from there.

And this post (http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...nced-menu-in-bios.473226/page-24#post-6967005) may be relevant to you.
    Good luck

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  5. colibridesmontagnes

colibridesmontagnes Newbie

Reputations:
    I found why I was not able to use the python script, it was because the dump was incorrect because it dump the file to A: drive which is, I think, the freedos ramdisk. I can't use the cd c: command because freedos keep returning to the A drive so I had to use to following command :
    c:flashit c:dump.rom /g

Now I have a correct dump (4Mb size, the incorrect one was only 1.5Mb) and I was able to use the python advanced_menu.py dump.rom new.rom commnad without any error.

I had to use the following command to flash it back otherwise I had some error :
    c:flashit c:new.rom /f

Thank you BrunoPGomes for the help

6. kold11

kold11 Newbie

Reputations:
    edit:
    OK I figured out what was wrong.
    When I booted freedos I didn't choose default but some option (3rd I think) about loading all drivers etc.
    So it was my bad.
    I don't delete whole post cause someone can make the same mistake.

edit:
    OK I figured out what was wrong.
    When I booted freedos I didn't choose default but some option (3rd I think) about loading all drivers etc.
    So it was my bad.
    I don't delete whole post cause someone can make the same mistake.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Hi. The guide is a little out of date, but not at this step. All you seem to be doing so far is taking a copy of the existing BIOS. There's nothing worrying about that step - there should be no risks there- and what you have experienced should not have done any harm. The error you were given is described in this URL (http://www.tenberry.com/dos4g/faq/err2001.html). Now I'm not a python script man, but I do know that the utility you use is fine (as long as the version you downloaded had no internal errors). These are the only thoughts that come to mind, for now:
    1. The error starts with a page fault - which means the program requested new pages in memory - and the response from DOS's kernel led to an error and a crash in the program, not the DOS kernel. This suggests that there was either a a problem in the program code, or a problem with the memory pool. If I'm right:
    • Run a full, extensive, memory diagnostic on your machine. If it passes that-
    • Make sure that your jump drive is fully reformatted, has no errors, that the utility is downloaded and copied across again, DOS is initialised again as a fresh copy, etc. (there are reports in this thread of crashes when the pen drive was faulty, or simply flaky)
    • Repeat the process. Creating a dump of your rom is the simplest, least risk step in the process.
    One thing. This definitely a VPCZ1* series machine? And you are definitely using freedos without any fancy additional memory extenders? I don't remember seeing DOS/4G in the picture when I did all this.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  8. Cimarien

Cimarien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Today my old Vaio VPCZ1 get bricked because of my mistake.

I entered BIOS and change the IDE from RAID TO AHCI, it cannot boot, of course, but i cannot F2 to enter BIOS again to change it back.

Could anyone tell me how to enter BIOS again? Tks.

9. BrunoPGomes

Reputations:
    Don't panic. I don't think it is bricked yet. Do you know how to take the machine apart?
    1. Remove the battery. Remove the top cover (make sure you note where every single screw goes). If you don't know, come back and I will give you a link to a guide.
    • Carefully lift the holder that holds the ssd ribbon in place on the motherboard and slide out the ribbon.
    • Also remove the DVD ribbon from the motherboard.
    2. Now you have nothing to boot from. Plug the keyboard ribbon back in place (don't place the SSD or DVD ribbons back yet). Put the battery back.
    3. Boot using the standard battery, press F2 repeatedly. It will let you in. The BIOS will give you back control when it cannot find a bootable device.
    4. Change your settings to where they should be.
    5. Shut it down again.
    6. Carefully put it all back together.
    7. Continue where you left off.

Cimarien and galaxyge like this.
  10. Cimarien

Cimarien Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your suggestion, @galaxyge also told me to do that, I will try it and report later.

galaxyge likes this.