Insyde BIOS modding (dv4,dv5,dv6,dv7 at least)

Discussion in 'HP' started by finestree, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lackooo

Lackooo Newbie

Reputations:
    Here's a modded F38 BIOS that enable to use the Intel Wifi-Link 5100 AGN card only in your AMD dv5 laptop:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/HP%20Pavilion%20dv5%201005ec%20F.38%20Edited%20Whitelist%20Intel%20Wifi-Link%205100AGN%20By%201234s282.zip

Using This Modded Bios Means The Notebook Can Only Support The Following Cards Now:-

Intel Wifi-Link 5100 AGN

Ven ID - 8086
    Dev ID - 4237
    SubSys ID - 12118086

Flash At Your Own Risk!

It worked perfectly for me on my Pavilion dv5 1005ec (AMD) factory card was Atheros 5007.

2. Armethyst

Armethyst Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone care to elaborate on that, and add a modded bios for DM3? or just the tools? seems like their torrent died.. -_- now i need the DMI or w/e tools to open my bios a lil further.. anyone can be my saviour in this matter... ( i'm in crisis people! :-o) hehe thanks everyone :)

3. DoUdAr

DoUdAr Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys i have a problem with screen brightness..whenever i shutdown the laptop while using battery, when i switch it on again while using charger the brightness doesn't increase as it should and when i check the brightness controller via power plan i found the brightness on charger is set exactly like the one on battery although it was set to the max before i shut it down.

is it a nvidia driver compatibility problem or Bios problem ?? help plzz

4. Armethyst

Armethyst Newbie

Reputations:
    maybe its a mix mate, maybe the computer is getting mixed by the settings when you shut off, try turning the computer back on without charger and connect it after it loads up, also try to change your power plan.. maybe it is corrupted or somethin'...

5. tlynguyen

tlynguyen Newbie

Reputations:
  6. Upabove

Upabove Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
  7. DoUdAr

DoUdAr Notebook Geek

Reputations:

My friend has DV4 laptop and i checked it, it has the same problem !!

8. aletaziar

aletaziar Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello advan20092,
    Would you mind going into more detail as to how you enabled the advanced and power options in the BIOS? I've opened up my bios from HP and there are a couple of bin files in there (363CF13.bin & 3658F13.bin). Am I to open those with EzH20? When I do so, it seems to load. However, I'm not sure how to use WinHex to mod the BIOS after that.

EDIT: I realize it's been a month and advan20092 may not be watching this thread for replies, so if anyone else knows how to do this please help :S

9. .NetRolller 3D

.NetRolller 3D Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    BTW, for all Insyde modders: check out http://thechaw.com/insydecodr - this is a set of scripts for extracting the Setup Utility from Insyde BIOSes. By default, it only works in Linux - to get it to work under Windows, you need to install liblzmadec.dll into C:\Windows\System32 (you can find it in lzma-4.32.7\src\liblzmadec in the attached archive - sources are included too), and make 3 small changes to the scripts:
    -In main.py, change "import fsdump" to "import sys, fsdump" and "BIOS()" to "BIOS(sys.argv[1])", and
    -In lzma.py, change "find_library("lzmadec")" to "find_library("liblzmadec.dll").

With this, you can extract SetupUtility with ease, which can then be modded using a hex editor. Remember, the magic number to look for when searching for the form set is "00 03 00 0E 24"; subtract 3 from the offset of this value to find the beginning of the string table. Then, you can use EzH2O v2.1.0.4 to replace the Setup Utility (module GUID: FE3542FE-C1D3-4EF8-657C-8048606FF670) module in the original BIOS (v2.1.0.13 is buggy and will corrupt the resulting BIOS when using "Replace Module" - if you absolutely need to use it, e.g. if v2.1.0.4 doesn't load the BIOS, then avoid the "Replace Module" button and use WinHex instead to replace in memory - and to make it actually believe you modified something, do a logo replace, which doesn't seem to kill the BIOS unconditionally, unlike a module swap). This way, you should be good to go.

Hth,
    Gábor (.NetRolller 3D)

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the attachment. It's a 7z inside a zip, as the board forbids uploading any archive other than zip (which gives me a file too big to upload). Admins, please enable uploading non-ancient archive formats! Tar.gz, tar.bz2, 7z, rar, just to name a few.

Attached Files:

10. ahbecan

ahbecan Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.