Insyde BIOS modding (dv4,dv5,dv6,dv7 at least)

Discussion in 'HP Pavilion Notebooks' started by dannyres, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyres

dannyres Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I'm working on modding the Insyde BIOS's included in most of HP's recent laptops. At the moment I have successfully patched the boot logo and ACPI tables. A number of people have mentioned they would be interested in this and in particular patching the BIOS so other PCI devices can be added. If you are interested in this and are willing to experiment (obviously there is some risk attached) please give me a pm. (Also note that the Insyde BIOS's actually have a great bad flash recovery procedure built in so in almost all cases you'll still be okay!). :D Any questions please ask in this thread. :)

EDIT: A bit more detail into how I'm doing this. There is a tool called EzH20 (official Insyde tool) that has been leaked. This showed how the BIOS's were compressed - using LZMA comression. Now we can decompress (and recompress) the BIOS. This tool also includes a feature to replace the BIOS logo. The BIOS is split into a number of modules that have unique GUID's. Unfortunatly there is no way to tell what module does what apart from that data in it (which is obviously mostly just randomness!). However there are certain things that can be patched if we know the format. Patching the white list of PCI cards for example, may be possible by searching for the device ID's and then finding which module they occur in. :)

On a similar topic I have also got a hold of the official HP EEPROM tool used for changing model number, serial number, quickplay settings, etc etc (i.e. all the settings you see when you first go into your PC's BIOS, but are unmoddifiable). If anyone wants this please also give me a PM (is it okay to post this mods?).

2. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could this lead to a patch that would permanently undervolt CPUs? That would be seriously cool (pun intended). If you can patch ACPI tables I should think it's possible?

3. dbacchus

dbacchus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about dv2? On this machine (AMD Neo) undervolting does miracles...

4. Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting would be the only reason i would edit my BIOS, really. And i seriously don't get what you meant by "PCI slot", did these things magically turn into desktops and i didn't know? Or do you mean the mini-PCI-E that the wifi is plugged in? I just googled a bit and have found all the utils on My Digital Life forums. I assume that's where you have gotten them as well?

I'd give them a shot but i no longer have Windows on my DV5.

5. dannyres

dannyres Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sorry, yes you're right I ment mini PCI-E slot. :) I found some of these on mydigitallife, yes. :)

6. Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So what exactly can be done with your current knowledge of this software? Can any hidden BIOS options be unlocked? Coz i'd sure wish OEM BIOSes wouldn't be so dumbed down.

7. highlandsun

highlandsun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm interested too, but I also am not running Windows any more.

8. plumsauce

plumsauce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gotta keep track of this thing. Subscribing

9. [SMAN]

[SMAN] Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Danny, I'm all up for helping you out with testing and stuff. I like the idea of being able to populate certain parts of the Bios as my goal is to get that cable card adapter working without having to use a vista loader. With this tool, have you reached out to the MacOSX-on-a-PC forums? I'm sure they would love this stuff and they probably have the most knowledge in trying to get a lot of this working.

10. SRG01

SRG01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The best feature, IMO, would be to reconfigure the ACPI tables to allow wake-on-usb devices. That way, I can just tap my usb keyboard's "Power" button to turn it on.

Over/underclocking would be good too. Combined with undervolting, there's plenty of temperature headroom.