1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Insyde BIOS modding (dv4,dv5,dv6,dv7 at least)

Discussion in 'HP Pavilion Notebooks' started by dannyres, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyres

dannyres Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

I'm working on modding the Insyde BIOS's included in most of HP's recent laptops. At the moment I have successfully patched the boot logo and ACPI tables. A number of people have mentioned they would be interested in this and in particular patching the BIOS so other PCI devices can be added. If you are interested in this and are willing to experiment (obviously there is some risk attached) please give me a pm. (Also note that the Insyde BIOS's actually have a great bad flash recovery procedure built in so in almost all cases you'll still be okay!). :D Any questions please ask in this thread. :)

EDIT: A bit more detail into how I'm doing this. There is a tool called EzH20 (official Insyde tool) that has been leaked. This showed how the BIOS's were compressed - using LZMA comression. Now we can decompress (and recompress) the BIOS. This tool also includes a feature to replace the BIOS logo. The BIOS is split into a number of modules that have unique GUID's. Unfortunatly there is no way to tell what module does what apart from that data in it (which is obviously mostly just randomness!). However there are certain things that can be patched if we know the format. Patching the white list of PCI cards for example, may be possible by searching for the device ID's and then finding which module they occur in. :)

On a similar topic I have also got a hold of the official HP EEPROM tool used for changing model number, serial number, quickplay settings, etc etc (i.e. all the settings you see when you first go into your PC's BIOS, but are unmoddifiable). If anyone wants this please also give me a PM (is it okay to post this mods?).

2. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Could this lead to a patch that would permanently undervolt CPUs? That would be seriously cool (pun intended). If you can patch ACPI tables I should think it's possible?

3. dbacchus

dbacchus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What about dv2? On this machine (AMD Neo) undervolting does miracles...

4. Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Undervolting would be the only reason i would edit my BIOS, really. And i seriously don't get what you meant by "PCI slot", did these things magically turn into desktops and i didn't know? Or do you mean the mini-PCI-E that the wifi is plugged in? I just googled a bit and have found all the utils on My Digital Life forums. I assume that's where you have gotten them as well?

I'd give them a shot but i no longer have Windows on my DV5.

5. dannyres

Reputations:
    Sorry, yes you're right I ment mini PCI-E slot. :) I found some of these on mydigitallife, yes. :)

6. Th3_uN1Qu3

Reputations:
    So what exactly can be done with your current knowledge of this software? Can any hidden BIOS options be unlocked? Coz i'd sure wish OEM BIOSes wouldn't be so dumbed down.

7. highlandsun

highlandsun Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm interested too, but I also am not running Windows any more.

8. plumsauce

plumsauce Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Gotta keep track of this thing. Subscribing

9. [SMAN]

[SMAN] Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Danny, I'm all up for helping you out with testing and stuff. I like the idea of being able to populate certain parts of the Bios as my goal is to get that cable card adapter working without having to use a vista loader. With this tool, have you reached out to the MacOSX-on-a-PC forums? I'm sure they would love this stuff and they probably have the most knowledge in trying to get a lot of this working.

10. SRG01

SRG01 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The best feature, IMO, would be to reconfigure the ACPI tables to allow wake-on-usb devices. That way, I can just tap my usb keyboard's "Power" button to turn it on.

Over/underclocking would be good too. Combined with undervolting, there's plenty of temperature headroom.

11. highlandsun

Reputations:
    I have my dv5 CPU undervolted already, you don't need to screw with the BIOS to do that. Just install the appropriate program to run at boot time.

12. brianstretch

brianstretch Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    It would be nice not to have to mess with those programs, plus I know of no equivalents for Linux.

13. Th3_uN1Qu3

Reputations:
    +1.

@ highlandsun, could you please tell me what program do you use? I didn't know that the AMD mobiles could be undervolted as well. Will it work with the Athlon X2 (i have a QL-62 in my dv5) like it works with the Turion? This thing is hot.

As far as Linux goes i might go back to Vista but install 64-bit like on my main computer, or see what's new in the latest Win 7 build. I have spent a couple weeks tweaking Ubuntu to my liking and i succeeded mostly, however i found myself running in XP VirtualBox more than i did native... Funny thing, video playback is better in the virtual XP than in the host. :D Also, most people over at the Ubuntu forums aren't really helpful and started flaming me when i told them they should consider changing the default fonts (especially when they saw my screenshot with MS fonts and antialiasing disabled).

The stupid antialiased fonts it comes with are a) WAY TOO BIG and B) very hard on the eyes, probably that's why they were set so big. AA in Linux is miles behind ClearType. They said that currently Linux is the only system with the ability to set the font family and size desktop-wide. Well, Firefox renders fonts two sizes bigger than they are set, Opera renders them two sizes smaller. Desktop-wide my ***, i've spent 3 days to get everything to use readable fonts. Font rendering on Linux just plain sucks, and unfortunately i don't see it changing soon.

Add in all the driver issues (Compiz + video playback = FAIL), and you'll understand why i keep going back to Windows every time. Oh and i need FL Studio to run properly, which it does not under Wine, and it is too laggy in the XP virtual machine. Well at least i got UT2k4. :p

14. _Nihil_

_Nihil_ Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,
    i'm very interested in insyde bios modding, because every time I try to insert a new wifi mini-pci card instead of the old one, the laptop halts with the ERROR 104. So this bios has a whitelist inside and i would modify this whitelist to allow me to use my broadcom 4311!!! At this moment the bios allows me only to use the Intel 5100agn.
    It would be great if you could help me in this, a lot of users are in the same trouble. I tried changing the SPROMM of my broadcom card but it doesn't work. I use the Insyde Bios F16a for an HP DV5t laptop (1030el).
    Hoping for an answer, :)

Nihil

15. dannyres

Reputations:
    Can you post the device id for your intel 5100 card please.. I'm going to try and see if I can find any references to it in the BIOS. :)

16. _Nihil_

_Nihil_ Newbie

Reputations:
    hi dannyres,
    with lspci -nn in linux:
    02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection [8086:4237]

it's the same on this site ( http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/8086/4237 ):
    vendor id: 0x8086
    device id: 0x4237.
    So it's 100% my intel wificard!

here's the link for my bios:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2100&product=3770495
    the latest version (F16a, mine) is here:
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp43501-44000/sp43819.exe

Can you help me to bypass this whitelist? I'm very hopeful!
    Thansk,

Nihil

PS: How can i send PM to other users?

17. highlandsun

Reputations:
    I don't think it will work with a regular Athlon X2. I'm using TurionPowerControl, from here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=373878&page=4

18. ygor.almeida

ygor.almeida Newbie

Reputations:
  19. ygor.almeida

ygor.almeida Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Man ...

Did this topic died !? anychance to release the softwares you use ?!

20. Th3_uN1Qu3

Reputations: