1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by dansrfe, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexvega

alexvega Newbie

Reputations:
    how about fingerprint reader software? anyone have any solutions for this? I downloaded the Authentec2810 driver, and the device shows up in devicemanager, but i cant get any fingerprint action in winxp... any ideas?

2. m3d0r

m3d0r Newbie

Reputations:
  3. E_B_E

E_B_E Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks very much, only I need you help one more time; I don't found the Dell wireless 370 bluetooth internal (2.0). Do you have this driver? Thanks Kame m3d0r

4. PepperHead

PepperHead Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    m3d0r,

I suspect you noticed quite a speed increase without all the Vista overhead and resource hogs running? Have you run any Benchmarks yet?

Regards,
    PepperHead

5. m3d0r

m3d0r Newbie

Reputations:
  6. JaniS

JaniS Newbie

Reputations:
  7. PepperHead

Reputations:
    m3d0r, I get 403 forbidden when I try to goto that URL. could you move it over to rapidshare with the rest?

Thanks,
    PepperHead

P.S. You said you did notice a speed increase over Vista. Did you do yours as a dual boot or format and do a clean XP Pro install?

8. ddavid

ddavid Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi m3d0r,

I download all drivers that u suggest:
    Audio, Intel Chipset, HDMI, Dell 1510 / 1397 Wirelesscard, ATI HD 3450,
    Cardreader, Touchpad, Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet, IR Receiver & Bluetooth.

Thks a lot tommorow I suppose to get my laptop an d first thing i will flash vs WinXP and your Drivers.

If you can please upload some tutorial (stages what first what second etc.)

thx a lot ,
    David

9. Jerome_rouze

Jerome_rouze Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot M3D0R. I was desperate, "driverless", and about to reinstall VISTA. You saved my day...

Still one request though :
    - I did instal all the drivers you suggested and WIFI is still not working (wireless card is not recognised by the system - no wireless conection appears in the "network connection" folder, etc.)
    - In "devices manager", the network controller appears with a yellow quote mark and of course, I can't update it.
    - when running a drivers detector, it appears "Broadcom Corporation Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card" is installed as well as "Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5784M Gigabit Ethernet PCIe".

Any tip to solve this out ?

10. m3d0r

m3d0r Newbie

Reputations:
  11. Jerome_rouze

Jerome_rouze Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for being so prompt. I tried both ways :
    - first, the HP trick : even after installing the driver, no wireless device appears in the device manager (or anywhere else), i.e. I can't install manually the driver using the *.inf file.
    - second, the remove/install again gigabit driver : no change
    Do you know any other way?

12. pmikgdn

pmikgdn Newbie

Reputations:
    try this,
    download the sp39243.exe from hp support,extract it,
    then ask new hardware, when WXP ask for driver and bcmwl6.sys
    browse to swsetup/sp39243 and rename bcmwl5.sys to bcmwl6.sys
    then the wireless card is now working ...

my wireless card (dell 1397) on 1535 was not working until that...

13. repole

repole Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey guys, sorry if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it.

When I tried to install XP on my Studio it gave me the blue screen of death before setup could begin. I've read that this is because XP doesn't have the drivers needed to recognize the SATA drive, and the simple solution is to put the drivers on a floppy disk and press F6 during the beginning of setup to load these drivers. Well, Studio doesn't have a floppy drive, so another solution is to integrate the drivers onto a copy of the XP CD, which I could do if I could find the drivers.....so my question is does anyone know where I can find the drivers for my hard drive controller (I've got the Samsung hm320ji ATA for reference).

Sorry if I missed anything obvious...I'd really appreciate the help.

14. mansurians

mansurians Newbie

Reputations:
    The link given by m3d0r is openning but iam failed to understand the language.

can any body give me the link(english) to download all the windows xp drivers for my Dell Studio 1535 note book ?

Thanks for your anticipation

15. Jerome_rouze

Jerome_rouze Newbie

Reputations:

16. E_B_E

E_B_E Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I believe that we all have asked for him help to m3d0r because it is the only one of this forum that has confirmed to that can install the Windows XP in the notebook Dell Studio, and believe also that we all are grateful for his help on having obtained the drivers. Nevertheless, I wanted to ask you, m3d0r, if you can share with us the procedure to obtain this change, without spreading too much not to become oppressed but defining adequately every point. For example, with my notebook XPS M1330 I had to format and particionar my notebook with Dell Media Direct's disc, later, install the Windows XP with SP3 and drivers SATA, and finally, already in Windows, finish the installation of the media Direct. In this case, the notebook have a partition called "Recovery" (which I believe it can be of utility if we do not obtain Vista's migration to XP), which not if we must delete it or not. Because of it I ask you, friend m3d0r, if you can illuminate us a bit more with regard to the procedure to obtain Vista's migration to XP.

17. PepperHead

Reputations:
    Hi All,

Thanks m3d0r for all of your help.

Earlier in this post it was mentioned to go into the BIOS and change the HD controller to ATA for XP. Which is better? Change it to ATA and run XP that way or leave it as SATA and install the SATA drivers for XP? I didn't think it would recognise the XP install disk in SATA.

Also, m3d0r, does it matter what order the drivers are installed in? Would you be kind enough to give us a quick outline?

Some thing like:

1. total backup/drive image

2. low level format

3. install XP

4. install driver a

5. install driver b.

etc. or should I just install them in the order you listed them on the post for rapidshare?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    PepperHead

18. PepperHead

Reputations:
    I have not found it mentioned on this post anywhere, but are all these drivers compatible with XP x64 bit OS?

Getting ready to do the install, just curuious

Thanks,
    PepperHead

19. static1812

static1812 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread, it's really useful

Can you tell me how to do that in the BIOS - I can only see an option to change the SATA mode. I can't see an option to make it ATA (so that I won't need a SCSI driver).

20. hobbes the tiger

hobbes the tiger Newbie

Reputations:
    Before you put XP on one of these you need to go into the bios and turn off the flash caching and then change the harddrive from AHCP to ATA mode otherwise it'll just bluescreen.
    Both of these changes are made in the onboard devices section.
    This is really important if you're using Windows Deployment or another multi-rollout system.
    Had this issue forst on the XPS when I tried to bulk deploy to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.