Installing Windows XP Pro on Studio 15

Discussion in 'Dell' started by dansrfe, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Istarnim

Istarnim Newbie

Reputations:
    My laptop is working very well, exept for two details, the microphone and the remote control don't works... Please someone can help me to solve this problems

Thaks

2. sdbguitars

sdbguitars Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've got everything working, I think, except the IR... no matter what driver I use (even forcing it to use slightly incorrect drivers) it still won't work. Windows *thinks* it's working, but I don't think it's reading the signal. Is there some way to *test* it to ensure it's receiving a signal?

3. TeodorX

TeodorX Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It seems it's time to say "Hello" :)
    I'm not a "new" Studio owner, we've allready spent a few weeks together. I hope maybe one day Dell will learn from Toshiba what means "speakers".
    But... back to Studio.

I have to say that's my Studio is a "N series".
    For those that doesn't know what this means: no M$ OS preinstalled.
    For those that thinks is cheaper.... :) ... it's not, $1200 for this config: C2D T5850 + ATI 3450 + 250 HDD + 2GB Ram + 1510N WiFi + WLED + 6 cell + remote + 3 years warranty (not on-site) return to depo (no flash chache memory - only Vista is using it anyway). I think in most countries were Studio is sold, "N Series" it's not available.

Because it's an "N series", from my point of view, Dell should ensure drivers (and technical support ... LOL ) for any OS you might install. But .. (again "but") is this true ? I didn't used this option - technical support - yet, so I'll not comment about.

I'll just try to emphase a few things:
    - WiFi catcher can be set ONLY under Vista - once is set it doesn't matter if OS is changed;
    - CD/DVD eject buttons are working if you set AHCI for "SATA operation mode" in BIOS (I think this is a BIOS bug, this should work in both cases: ATA / AHCI ).
    - if you have probs with WiFi connection it "might" be transmition antenna. (I wrote "might" because in my case I'm sure ;). Measured transmition level is to low.);
    - existing IR receiver driver is designed ONLY for Vista. Under Linux exists allready a patch/driver that's working. If you succeded make this work under Win XP, please post a full "How To".
    - regarding sound: the closest driver that might be modded and gain acces to mics array is sound driver for Dell Latitude 6400/6500 series (for Win XP off course). I didn't tried / tested yet.
    - to recover functions of touch keys just disconnect all devices and remove battery for 1 minute. Then should be OK.
    - MediaDirect 3.5 "might" work with a minor mod: it just shouldn't be allowed to patch BIOS - media direct key section - and return Error. (Please disregard this and DON'T try/test it if you don't have ADVANCED knowlege how to recover).

In case you have probs with boot, shutdown, hibernate, sleep - use MS BootVis (it's an utility designed for XP by MS). In my case Intel drivers provided by Dell had compatibility probs.
    Entering in hibernation (I'm using this alot) using Intel: more than 40 sec. Recovering from hibernation: 1 minute and 10 sec with Intel drivers ( text / mouse cursor flashing for a looooong time). After I've removed Intel driver I've got under 5 sec (!!!) for entering hibernation (4.53 sec to be exactly) and 8 to 12 seconds recovering form hibernation (this includes WiFi connected).
    In case you're using Win Vista or 2008 use "Windows Performance Tools Kit" from MS to trace boot - shutdown - hibernate - sleep probs.

I'm still learning. So, if anyone succeded to make mic array and IR reciever to wok under XP, I'm all eyears.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  4. clolo

clolo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone been able to get the sound working for the HDMI under XP? For some reason Ive had this intermittent popping sound that happens randomly, even with the speakers muted. Anyone else have this problem?

Edit - Reinstalled IDT sound driver and seems to have fixed the popping but i havent tried it with HDMI. One interesting thing that happened is that my media buttons stay lit!

5. gryffin53

gryffin53 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    :eek: you lucky dude ;)

6. ayushbh

ayushbh Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    plz can anybody tell me how to get the battery remainging icon in the system tray in windows xp sp2.and can any body upload dell webcam software,dell dock,dell quick set and dell media direct softwares for xp sp2 and driver for microphone also.plz upload these drivers i need them badly.

7. Terrigno

Terrigno Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not sure why you would want to do this. I have Vista on my Inspiron 1501 right now and have had it for a year. I would never want to install XP over Vista. Vista hasnt giving me ANY problems. I love it!

8. maudet

maudet Newbie

Reputations:
    I need to install XP Pro on a Dell Studio 1535.

I spent the last 4 days trying to install Windows XP on my Dell Studio 1535 machine. But when I tried to install it, I have a blue screen during the installation and the error code 0x000007b occurs.

For me, it's begin to be a big problem because I'm a student and the technician of the department don't want to connect me to the main domain since I don't have Windows XP on my computer... grrr...

So, I read a lot of posts and I didn't find a solution yet for my problem! I hope here, I'll find one!!!

This is a main description of my harware:
    IDE : Intel(R) 82801 HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
    PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @2.16GHz
    Memory(RAM): 3.00 GB
    System-type: 32-bit Operating System

Installed Operating System:
    Windows Vista Home Premium edition ( SP1).

Questions:
    1. How can I install Windows XP on VISTA?

2. Also, I did a partition on my workstation to run XP in a Dual Boot with Vista... Do I need to change something in my BIOS to run the installation of XP properly? In the BIOS, I have in the Onboard Devices section, SATA Operation. Actually the configuration is AHCI. Should I change it for ATA? Any others changes requested?

Can you give help me please??? Any help will be appreciate!!!!

9. maudet

maudet Newbie

Reputations:
    I just read that I should install my IDE during setup of XP. I press F6 during installation... and the setup ask me for manufacturer-supplied hardware support disk...

Can someone tell me where and how I can generate this support disk?

10. minep

minep Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You need integrate SATA drivers to XP Setup. ;) I use N-Lite program.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.