Installing Windows XP on the Intel based dvx500t Series

Discussion in 'HP' started by mujjuman, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robvia

robvia Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting my link.

The problems I get the most are people trying to install XP on a different type of DV6500 sold by stores, or the newer AMD version. Or people wondering if they can install Server 2003. The drivers don't match up and they get stuck.

I had one person e-mailing me back and forth saying the drivers wouldn't work. Turns out he just bought the AMD version. Well of coarse everything won't work, everyone here is in the Intel world.

The next step of these guides will be to get the Chipset, Sata, and Wireless drivers for the AMD version. There's no way we can cover every model out there, too many combinations. We've pretty much got the x500 series covered, but there's different hardware for other parts of the world.

The best advice, is for everyone to identify all hardware (cpu, sound, wireless, graphics) and get all drivers before starting. Plus burn a copy of your SWSETUP folder in Vista using Nero before starting. There's been problems with the HP recovery DVDs, they don't work. I've just added the SWSETUP folder to my guide.

2. jlufanatic

jlufanatic Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello, this is my first post on this forum!

I have a HP Pavilion DV6500eo laptop with the following specs:

Intel Core2Duo T5450 @ 1.66 Ghz
    2 GB RAM
    GeForce 8400M GS 128 MB
    120 GB HDD

I have tried to perform a clean install of Windows XP Pro with SP2+Intel ICH8M-E SATA driver slipstreamed (using nLite) onto the XP CD.

First, I used KillDisk 4.1 to completely erase my harddrive, then I put my XP cd into the drive, formatted the the drive and finally went on with the WinXP installation.

Everything went smooth until when I am just about to get into Windows right after the Windows XP logo is shown during startup.

After this I receive a Blue Screen and then the computer reboots, and that's it :(

The BSOD error message does not mention any particular driver error [for example DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL].

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Great guide by the way :)

3. mujjuman

mujjuman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    it means that a driver for something is wrong. something could be anything in this case. i got an error like that when my wireless drivers for another computer were the wrong ones. im guessing the problem is in your Windows XP CD. where did you get yours from? please send me a PM.

thanks.

4. kintama

kintama Newbie

Reputations:
    ur walkthrough worked perfectly, thank u Mujjuman and Hackez,

Unfortunately I removed my partition and now I want it back so I must reformat again.

I have a couple of questions though.

If I install updated drivers will they replace the old ones or will I have 2 drivers for the same thing?

Also after reformatting I cant watch DVDs, I need a decoder. I know I had one for Vista so can it used on XP or what do I do?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me.

5. banned

banned Newbie

Reputations:
    I can't tell you how VALUABLE this post/thread
    has been! We recently purchased the HP DV2415NR
    laptop, which utlilizes the NForce 430 chipset,
    and for reasons I won't get into, wanted Windows
    XP instead of Vista installed. After all the
    downloads, I followed the instructions for
    creating the new boot disk, but could not locate
    the SATA driver mentioned. Where on earth is it?
    The Nforce chipset doesn't require it anyway so
    it's a moot point for me. I was able to locate
    the appropriate driver for the 430 chipset at
    Nvidia's website. Very easy to navigate through,
    locate and freely download. After the install,
    with the SATA driver in full swing and all 160
    GB recognized, it was just a matter of installing
    the rest of the drivers found at Nvidia and the
    Swsetup folder which I had saved before cremating
    Vista :). Also a tremendous thanks to the NLITE
    developers! The XP goes like a "bat out of hell",
    when compared to Vista, and the previous Compaq
    laptop we had.
    Dave

6. StenLi

StenLi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can someone put that image on web? so I can download it and try.. because my configuration is very close to that dv9500.. except it is dv2500.. ?

7. mujjuman

mujjuman Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    the new drivers will replace the old ones

all you need is a software decoder. Windows Media Player works fine for me. but there are other DVD Players out there. You can try using the one for Vista on XP, but i cannot guarantee that it will work.

however, what do you mean that you cant watch DVDs? when you insert a DVD, does a window not pop up asking you if you want to play the DVD (among other options)?

im happy that you got XP installed and running fine! i agree that it is much faster than Vista. vista made me feel like i was running in heavy slime.

are you talking about the Windows XP CD image?

8. Jamiro

Jamiro Newbie

Reputations:
    hello, I bought a HP DV6575US and i hate vista, but what about tv tuner?, can i use tv tuner in XP??, can i use fingerprint reader in XP??, if i can use tomorrow start the downgrade

9. StenLi

Reputations:
    Yes.. the SATA driver is the same.. should work for me.. because I downloaded that first link DriverPack_1.0_DVX500Series.7z and I dont know how to use it.. :) How can I extract it?

10. StenLi

Reputations:
    Can someone put link here for sata driver for Intel® PM965 Express Chipset?
    I dont need that 200 MB super update with drivers.. I need only that small sata driver to put it in iso. :( :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.