1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Installing OS on mSata drive

Discussion in 'Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Flash Storage' started by pcsatman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. pcsatman

pcsatman Notebook Enthusiast

Yes, tried that. BIOS just does not allow me to boot from mSATA. I can't see any way of disabling the HDD from the BIOS. On the initial BIOS screen both the HDD and the mSATA appear as drive 0 and drive 1 but in the boot screen it doesn't actually mention either drive. It comes up with windows boot manager, uefi device x 2 and network.

2. radji

radji Sanity = √-x

I don't think your in the right BIOS tab then. All BIOS (or at least all the newer BIOS I've seen) will allow you to switch between UEFI and Legacy BIOS mode. In legacy BIOS, you may be able to change the boot priority order based on device. Refer to this photo.

[​IMG]

Take a photo of the boot tab of your BIOS screen and post the photo here. It will help me guide you if I'm not doing it blind. Remember, the initial screen when you enter the BIOS isn't the boot tab.

3. pcsatman

Thanks Radji

Will get a look at it tomorrow and report back.

4. OtherSongs

OtherSongs Notebook Evangelist

Good response, odds are you've nailed it.

The BIOS (not American Megatrends) on my own X220 and T530 have a similar setting, under the tab called "Startup"

OTOH times are changing. See: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Specifically: >"With the release of Windows 8 in October 2012, Microsoft's certification requirements now require that computers include firmware that implements the UEFI specification. Furthermore, if the computer supports the "Connected Standby" feature of Windows 8, then the firmware is not permitted to contain a Compatibility Support Module (CSM). As such, systems that support Connected Standby are incapable of booting Legacy BIOS operating systems."<

BTW nice pic above. What camera did you use?

5. radji

radji Sanity = √-x

No camera. Just looked up Legacy BIOS mode under google and found a photo that gave the best detail of what he should look for.

6. pcsatman

OK, cracked it!!!!
    1. Disabled "Rapid Start Technology" in the advanced screen of the BIOS.
    2. Went to Boot tab and and change Boot List Option to "Legacy"
    3. Disabled Secure Boot and Voila!! This then changes the devices to the legacy as you suggested Radji. The list of devices then shows "Second HDD" which on my laptop is the mSATA.

Thanks very much for your help. What threw me was having to go to the advanced screen and disable the Rapid Start.
    only problem now is I have set up everything except windows on the mSATA. Do I start again or just leave windows on the HDD. The system takes about 8 seconds to boot from cold so can't complain at moment.

7. radji

radji Sanity = √-x

Told ya legacy mode would fix it. Didn't know you had to disable fast boot to get it to show. I will remember that for next time and rest assured...there WILL be a next time.

I'm not sure what you mean by the fact you've set up everything except Windows on the mSATA. I thought you wanted to install Windows on your mSATA? If so, then you do need to clean install Windows to your mSATA drive. Once that's done, I would recommend you plugging an external drive to your notebook, transferring all your files and folders off your existing HDD to the external one (except for the Windows folder, of course), then do a format of your internal HDD to remove the boot code. That way the BIOS won't try to boot from the internal HDD again.

8. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

radji, doing that may also make the new boot drive unbootable - I would recommend to remove all drives except the drive you want your Windows install to. Then, do what radji suggested.

(This will ensure the boot code will be 'tied' to the drive that has the O/S and not any other drive that happened to be in the system at the time of O/S installation).

9. pcsatman

OK Radji, I have got the laptop booting from the mSATA. I have done a clean install and formatted the hdd. I did not want to unplug the hdd due to the time it takes to do a complete strip down of this machine. It appears to wotk fine and have installed everything onto the mSATA and will use the hdd for data.
    Thanks again for everyones help.

10. radji

radji Sanity = √-x

De nada. I figured you didn't want to have to disembowel your notebook just to get to the hard drive. But for reference, tilleroftheearth is 110% right. You should always remove your existing boot drive, then setup and clean install your new SSD/mSATA and verify your system is booting from it normally before removing the boot code from your existing hard drive. The benefit of this is if anything goes wrong with the clean install then you need only reinstall your existing hard drive to get your system working again. It's a great way of protecting yourself in the event something goes wrong. Good luck to you and have fun with your mSATA.

You're absolutely right. I completely left that step out. +1 to you sir.

11. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Newbie

I'm about to try this tonight on my new Alienware 17 and a 480 Gig mSATA SSD. I'll report back if this all works for me. Thanks.

12. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Newbie

Yes this went great. I followed radji's advice through the thread and all the information I needed was there, and I'd like to thank pcscatman for starting the thread too. The only downside was (nothing to do with this thread) that I had bought the wrong 32 GIG's of RAM as part of my upgrade, the new Haswell processors need RAM running at 1.35 volts and I had bought RAM running at 1.5 volts. I bought the new RAM tonight (16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600MHz SO-DIMM laptop memory dual channel kit (2x 8GB) CL11 - 1.35V * 2) and now I have to sell the other RAM. This tech stuff never stops changing lol. Thanks again for this very helpful thread.

13. Bullrun

Bullrun Notebook Evangelist

Haswell supports 1.5V RAM

14. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Newbie

Tell that to the beeps the Alienware 17 with the i74800MQ was making when i installed Vengeance Corsair soDimm RAM at 1.5volts. Then I researched it further and a Dell thread said it needs 1.35 volt low-power RAM. I'll tell you what, when the new RAM I ordered arrives and I install it, I'll pop back here with an update on how it went (crosses fingers). It might help someone.

15. tilleroftheearth

tilleroftheearth Wisdom listens quietly...

But the BIOS, M/B has to too. ;)

16. Bullrun

I guess that's another reason for me to buy Clevo, either 1.35V or 1.5V work.

17. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Newbie

Yep everything went swimmingly with the new RAM at 1.35 volts installed. Then I updated to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 and all of a sudden my discrete graphics was "not detected" anymore. Windows was running off Intel integrated graphics Whhaaaaaaaaatttt!!!!. My lovely new GTX770M where are you!. After about 2 hours of newb sweating and web surfing I said ok I'll re-flash the BIOS with the latest update (which I already have installed), A08. Job done, all good been sailing ever since. Good thread.

18. JoeyJ

JoeyJ Newbie

Yeah but the Alienware 17 is sooo sexy :p

19. Bullrun

Clevo has a bling version too. I'll stick with laid back black and the monster under the hood. :p

HTWingNut likes this.
  20. huggybear404

huggybear404 Newbie

I just got a 512 and 1 tb msata drive and tryed to install in a Acer Aspire 7735 , First i found my sata adapter had no 3.3v power so I borrowed a 3.3v regulator from one of my ide to msata adapters , I guess my acer is designed for mechanical drives only since it has no 3.3v on bus , then I cloned boot partition from my old ssd drive and all I get when booting with the msata internat is ntldr is missing , the msata show up in windows install and boot order (old legacy bios) updated to version 2.12 , If I put the msata in an external usb device it starts botting windows but ofcoz crash win stop 07b inaccessible boot device since there is no driver for that installed. is there a way to make the msata boot internally ? I seem to be able to use it in an older hp compaq nc6120 pc with original hdd caddy and ide to msata adapter card. then it boots windows xp. Might it work with a different kind of adapter to install the msata ? Also I find it odd that the plug used is the same as for wifi cards, I tryed installing it as a wifi card but it hangs the pc. I see my acer aspire one has internal wifi plug but also a similar plug on the back of the mainboard, can this plug support a msata drive if I solder a plug on ? I apreciate very much any hints.