Installing Linux Mint on MK1 CF-19

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by thewanderlustking, May 16, 2018.

1. safn1949

safn1949 I'm sure I'm on the wrong planet

Reputations:
    Switching between the Mk1 and the Mk5 I would run a 32 bit distro. Peppermint is a favorite as it is simple and lightweight with a very user friendly interface. I'm running that on the motion i3 and core solo, on my i3 and i5 Dell's (blasphemy, forgive me for my sins..lol) I'm running Mint 18.3.

On the core solo I can watch YouTube and do what ever on the web with it and I have a solitaire collection installed and it runs it fine. Digitizer screens work flawlessly.

Shawn likes this.
  2. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Correct, I am not running the SSD drive in the computer yet. As mentioned, I have an adapter card plugged into the WWAN card slot with a 32gb thumbdrive plugged into there.

I am kinda suspecting that is the bottleneck causing my issues. So for now the next experiment is likely to be putting a Linux install on the SSD drive I have sitting in standby. But, I am not sure Linux will be the final answer. I have some very specific software bits that I need to have on this machine.

3. safn1949

Reputations:
    Can you run your programs on XP?

4. safn1949

Reputations:
    And the Mk5 got Linux tonight, Windows was throwing errors and endless restarts...phooey. Or as I said #@%$##&*^%% thing.:rolleyes:

5. thewanderlustking

thewanderlustking Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I am not sure if I can run the programs on XP... Well, my most critical program I can actually get a Linux installer for. But I have several supporting programs and a pretty specific workflow I need to support that. The XP connection is kinda interesting though, what is your thought on that?

I just found the Panasonic XP installer cd that Shawn sent me though. I can easily (hopefully) load that up on the other drive.

Shawn likes this.
  6. SHEEPMAN!

SHEEPMAN! Freelance

Reputations:
    Try it on the SSD.

Might be a bios issue. Confirm you are running the appropriate bios. I forgot whether your MK1 was a touchscreen or a tablet bios.

7. safn1949

Reputations:
    Another thing to consider is there are 2 basic versions of Windows 7, they are very stripped down but might run what you need.

Shawn likes this.
  8. kode-niner

kode-niner Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If you're up to it, this post is where things get interesting:
    http://toughbooktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2873&start=10#p24755

I tried to simplify it as much as possible by just having to run a script, but simplicity is relative I suppose.

Things don't line up properly with my MK4 dual touch, though. Haven't really pursued it any further.

SHEEPMAN! likes this.