Install Windows 7 without a DVD!

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by i.like.pie, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I think its often used for reasons that could lead to getting malware but the program itself is fine.

Its been tried and true for years now by people with far more knowledge than you or I and they had nothing to say about it.

Many things of this nature give false positives on virus checkers so dont cry wolf just because you get a false positive on certain kinds of programs.

Its one of the first things to go on any of my computers and not once have I had issues so far.

2. emike09

emike09 Overclocking Champion

Reputations:
    DT installs things I don't want, like toolbars, extra processes, etc. PowerISO is a far lighter application, uses less resources, and is overall simpler to use. I don't use any anti-malware applications, outside windows defender, I'm not crying wolf, I'm just saying PowerISO is a far lighter application, and doesn't install all that bloatware crap.

3. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    It gives you an option of whether you want those toolbars and stuff, at least if you choose Custom Install, something I always recommend even if you don't change anything. I've never noticed any indication of Daemon Tools doing anything nefarious - and it has always seemed to run light for me. Usually a few megabytes of RAM, and maybe one second of CPU power over the course of running the system. As good a reputation as it has, I really doubt it carries anything bad with it. Never had an anti-virus product tag it, either. Though it is true that there are occasionally false positives.

But it doesn't seem to work in 64-bit Win7, and neither does Alcohol 52%. So I may try PowerISO as an alternative.

4. emike09

emike09 Overclocking Champion

Reputations:
    Ya I hear what your saying about custom install. I usually go that route. Even after an uninstall, the registry is riddled with entries, files left behind, and the driver it installed to virtualize the disk does not get removed. Just a buncha little things I never liked about it.

5. davepermen

davepermen Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    if you have a big enough usb stick, you can easily set it up to boot vista or win7 disks, and then just copy over the files. it's a matter of formating the disk, and setting it active, with the builtin diskpart from vista. works great and simple (i set up a win7 stick like that, a vista stick, and a winhomeserverrestorestick. they are much faster loaded than from disk, and i can fill them with drivers and such)

6. Hiker

Hiker Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I use Daemon Tool lite and have no idea what you're talking about Compared to PowerISO I find it works much better.

You must be the sole PowerISO user on this thread. ;)

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=597416

7. ViciousXUSMC

ViciousXUSMC Master Viking NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    I use PowerISO if the situation calls for it, there are certain types of files it can open and extract that DT can not.

However I use DT for everything else.

8. Ahoy

Ahoy Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Argh, I don't like PowerISO. I've never encountered anything that DT can't run, been using DT Pro with SCSI :)

9. i.like.pie

i.like.pie Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, DT is fine for most things.

10. SmoothTofu

SmoothTofu Inspiron 1420 Owner

Reputations:
    Yep, I installed the Win7 beta the same way when it first became available by mounting it (I used VCD, but DT works the same I guess). Makes life so much easier~ ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.