Install Windows 7 on Acer A715 and A717 NVMe SSD

Discussion in 'Acer' started by franzerich, Aug 25, 2017.

1. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks, I have updated the description. Now installing Windows 7 is actually a viable alternative :bigsmile:

2. Dantei

Dantei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Bought a A515 laptop recently. Just being curious about Windows 7 - battery life, etc. Someone tested already?

3. Nonick_

Nonick_ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone post images of screen backlight bleed? Not sure if this is for RMA. 100% brightness, black background color, A717-71G (LG LP173WF4-SPF5). IMG_20180125_215804.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. lebnovic

lebnovic Newbie

Reputations:
    On 715-71G (please post with model)
    [​IMG]

5. franzerich

franzerich Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    delete

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  6. amir4095

amir4095 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi franzerich. first i wanted to thank u for ur valuable information. but ive encountered a major problem while i was going through ur steps.
    i recently bought an a715-71g-79yg. my old laptop is another aspire v3-571g. i noticed maple 2018 works three times slower on the new machine than the older one. since every hardware seems to work fine i thought that the problem might be from win 10. i read ur post and tried to do it. first problem occurred when i tried my old win 7 Ultra Iso file to mount into WindowsImageTool from Gigabyte.
    since WindowsImageTool insists on using FAT32 and the iso file is greater than 4gb it couldnt be done. i tried make portable usb using rufus and then add nvme drivers later.
    then i downloaded an older version of win 7 which is less than 4gb. i followed ur steps when WindowsImageTool was done i restarted the machin pressed f12 ( i was on legacy mode) and saw that there are two usb sticks mounted there. when i select each one the screen goes black and nothing happenes. just an underline flashing (like its in DOS but no commands) but i cant even type. and thats it. ive tried enabling UEFI mode to see if i get lucky or something... nothing yet.

another problem is the bootable usb that ive created with WindowsImageTool is not actually bootable!!! i connected it to my older machine an when i select it as bootable disk the old windows keeps booting up.

any ideas for what is going on?

and one more thing. if i create a bootable win7 usb using rufus and selecting MBR as partition scheme the usb actually boots up. the problem is that it wont allow me to install windows because both hdd and ssd of aspire a715 is of GPT formatting. so actually it didnt work either.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  7. UZER2008

UZER2008 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Thanks for the your great work. Recently go my A715-71G-573G and also want to have Windows 7 here.
    It was quite tricky to get the drivers onto laptop without working USB, WiFi or Ethernet. But with working sound. :-D

For some drivers I had to Google separately. But finally everything is almost OK.

Does your provided Fingerprint driver contain any software? For me it did not work, had to search separately. As it turned out, nobody writes any universal fingerprint software. In my case some finally worked Lenovo ThinkVantage fingerprint software.
    https://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1f914ww_64.exe

Got partially working on-screen notification using Dritek Launch Manager.
    http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...p3=ASPIRE S3-391&OS=711&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6
    Work keylock status and volume notification.

Could not get working Touchpad in advanced mode.

Still want to have:
    • on-screen notifications for WiFi status and screen brightnes
    • Touchpad in advanced mode
    Does anybody know if it is possible and how?

JamesBondy likes this.
  8. JamesBondy

JamesBondy Newbie

Reputations:
    hello franzerich, do you have any updates on the drivers? is graphics working fine? is the notebook switching between gtx 1050 and hd630?
    #thx, today i will try to install it

btw, is do you still use windows 7 or did you upgrade? THX