Inspiron vs xps?

Discussion in 'Dell' started by LoclHero, Oct 19, 2017.

1. LoclHero

LoclHero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not a power user. Still, when I'm working on this $1k Lenovo Flex 5 that I bought at costco, it hesitates when I'm typing and the fan comes on. I can type ten characters with nothing showing up before it starts catching up. Honestly, the whole thing seems slower than I expected for $1k. All I have open is Firefox (albeit with 40 tabs open, but most of those aren't loaded) and a pdf file or two. Norton AV running in the background. The fan runs a lot.

The Lattitude is light enough though not as small as I'd like, but it might be ok. I doubt I need a special gpu for what I do. The last time I played a computer game was when my brother gave me an early version of Doom back in the 90's.
    Really I'm just looking for the smallest lightest laptop that still has a dedicated # pad. It always frustrates me that there's so much room on the deck of these machines and they leave 1.5-2 inches of dead space on each side. I guess it's needed for components underneath though.

2. Silvr6

Silvr6 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Grab an Inspriron 13 or 15 with the i5 8250u or i7 8550i, 15W cpu's that are more than 50% than the fastest existing dual core CPU's.

These 15W CPU's don't feel slow at all, in fact the i7 boosts to 4.0ghz in single and dual core scenarios, there is zero negative going with these new cpu's

3. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    It boosts to 4GHz for about 30 seconds at which point the TDP limit kicks in and lowers that to about 2.5GHz (data based on user reports from this forum). The only way these CPUs can maintain such speeds is if 2 conditions are met.

1 - the iGPU has 0 load placed on it
    2 - the CPU TPD limited has been raised by the OEM to 25-28W.

The first one is easy but the second one is usually only met on business class laptops such as ThinkPads, EliteBooks and Latitudes.

4. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Power limit on my Inspiron is 44W which is achieved at 3.7ghz quadcore according to notebookcheck their XPS has a power limit of 51W. In my inspiron it hits 3.7ghz quadcore for probably less than 10 seconds, however it will work between 3.7-4ghz when single and dual cores are utilized, it will do between 2.4ghz and 2.6ghz with all 4 cores utilized.

Either way zero down sides to going with these new quadcores compared to the "older" dual cores

5. don_svetlio

don_svetlio In the Pipe, Five by Five.

Reputations:
    True, they're better than the old ones but the boost clock numbers are somwhat misleading imo. Quad-core boost clocks of 2.6GHz are quite a bit lower than the single-core boost clock of 4GHz

6. Silvr6

Reputations:
    Yes the 4 core boosts are lower, but once again we are talking about a 15w cpu here they consume power. The 1-2 Core boosts really improve the single thread performance. The 3.7Ghz boost isn't a lie it just doesn't happen for very long, here is a video showing that

7. LoclHero

LoclHero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I apologize for the long delay in answering... already dealing with a failed HD, I then broke my phone and needed to replace that as well. That's a lot going on for the tech-challenged! :-/
    I ended up taking the Lenovo Flex 5 back to Costco and buying this HP Envy instead:

https://www.costco.com/HP-ENVY-x360...-Intel-Core-i7---1080p.product.100381375.html

At the time I bought it, it was on sale for $699. While I gather HP is not held in the highest regard, this one fit my needs with the least compromises and it comes with the 4 year warranty from Costco. So far it seems to work great for my needs. Unlike the Lenovo, the fan is quiet and there seems to be no hesitation on anything I've asked it to do so far. Don't know if I'll ever use the 360 factor but more options are always better imo and the quality of the whole laptop seems decent so I don't imagine it falling apart. I would like it better if it had the thin bezel and was therefore a little smaller, but that's a small compromise. Having the number pad back is a big plus for me.

Thanks for all of the help and opinions. Hopefully anyone else reading this thread will get some benefit out of it too.