Inspiron vs xps?

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by LoclHero, Oct 19, 2017.

1. LoclHero

LoclHero Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I was thinking I wanted an XPS laptop as I'm looking for a smaller/lighter machine in a 15". I posted a question on the xps forum and have gotten good answers, but now I'm wondering if I'm really ready to give up the dedicated number pad.
    Is the Inspiron the next level down from the xps quality-wise and what is the smallest Inspiron available in the 15"? Are all 15" Inspirons the same dimensions?
    About weight... I want good battery life and an SSD. Touch screen I can probably live without. Does the touchscreen add a lot of weight? Same with the 2n1 form factor... does that add weight or have other downsides?
    Thanks!

2. don_svetlio

don_svetlio Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The XPS 15 requires modifications to the cooling as at stock the VRMs reach 120*C and the CPU throttles by about 60%. Keep that in mind if you need high performance.

3. LoclHero

Reputations:
    Thanks, I don't really need high performance. I'm not a gamer... just looking for a machine that will have no lag time with many browser windows, image viewers, pdf's, norton AV and similar programs open. I think I've figured out what I need in the way of power, ram, etc, now just looking at the dimensions. Dell chat just told me that all the 15" Inspirons are over 15" wide and over 5lbs. Is there a smaller 15" that still has the number pad? If I give up the # pad, I'll just go to an xps.

4. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    The Asus ZenBook UX501 - it's a last gen model so it should be much cheaper.

5. LoclHero

Reputations:
    Thanks, cheaper is good though afaict, those max out my hoped for specs at 5lbs and a hair over 15". I'm also starting to look at a Thinkpads which seem to be a half pound lighter and half inch less wide.

6. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    ThinkPads are great business laptops but they cut the CPU and GPU performance by quite a bit. Any Intel CPU ending in U is a 15W low-power part with 6000/7000 series being dual-cores and 8000 series being quad-cores (but still having low clockspeeds)

7. LoclHero

Reputations:
    My brain starts to swell reading that... Is 15w low-power good (as in longer batt life) or bad (as in slow/weak) or both? "clock speeds" are probably not important to a non-gamer... right?

Meanwhile I came across the Lenovo ThinkPad P51s which seems to be closest to what I'm looking for being 14.4" wide and 4.39 lbs while still having a number pad. Any input on those? They're expensive of course, but maybe I'd find one in the outlet store or something. Not particularly sexy either from what I can see online... What's with the red button in the middle of the Thinkpad keyboards?

8. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you thought about going with latitude without a GPU (or with 930/940)? If you are not a gamer, it means that you don't need a dedicated graphics card, right? Because they all add price, weight and reduce battery life...
    Also latitude (from what I have seen) have a good build quality and do not weigh much. (15.6 version is below 2kg). They have numpads...
    P51 is a mobile workstation which usually comes with a Quadro GPU, which adds a LOT to the price, and I am not sure that you need it... Unless you are doing CAD. Given the fact that you don't care about the CPU performance I doubt it is the case.

9. notfunny

notfunny Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As for processor... 15w low-power is good as in "I need longer battery and don't care too much about performance".
    BTW the VRM in XPS... Unless you are gaming you won't notice it.

10. don_svetlio

Reputations:
    15W means low performance in favour of longer battery life. Basically, if all you do is word processing and youtube - fine. If you are going to be running Photoshop or anything of the sort - it will feel slow.