1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Inspiron 1720 with 6GB RAM Tested

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by SomeFormOFhuman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf can i haz broadwell? Super Moderator

Reputations:
    For sure T9500 will work. I think X7900 and X9000 might work too; I seem to recall seeing that in someone's sig, but no guarantees on those.

That being said, you should not get a T9500 because it is nearly double the price of a T9300 and only 100MHz faster.

2. teoabroad

teoabroad Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all, I know my specs do not mach this post but still might get some answers...
    I got a VAIO VGN-AR750E: PM 965 (BIOS Phoenix R2080J8), T 9500 (upgraded from T 8100), 4GB 667 RAM, 8600M GT.
    I want to also upgrade to 8 GB RAm...
    Therefore, is PM 965 platform capable of 8 GB RAM?
    Can (has ever been) the BIOS Phoenix R2080J8 be tweaked / modded to support 8 GB RAM?
    What can I do?
    Many thanks for your kind understanding and (hope) cooperation!

3. Apollo13

Apollo13 Vista Downgrader

Reputations:
    I didn't know the PC2-6400 would auto-downclock. Thanks for the knowledge!

The X9000 will work. Whether you'll be able to overclock it to any meaningful degree is less certain - if you do, you'll need to use ThrottleStop. The main concern is heat - at least on my 1520, if I don't dust it often enough, even the T7500 will get too hot eventually. So, I doubt you'd be able to overclock it much over its stock speed.

4. JanJ

JanJ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's been a couple months.... Everything is still fine... No Problems with this mod... Thanks to all who provided input...

5. frenchglen

frenchglen Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    did i mention that I successfully upgraded my Vostro 1700 with the highest possible CPU that the mobo's chipset can handle? (the Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000)? It's been quite fine, but recently it's been having severe overheating issues, just completely turning off and going to liek 100C. I think I may have done the themal pasting not optimally (I did use the best paste out there though and followed good guides carefully! maybe have to apply it more thickly?? but ALSO there's been a weird sound every now and then, maybe the physical components in my vostro are just aging after 4 years of super heavy use :/).

observations speed wise are: surprisingly, it wasn't that much of a difference to general snappiness (like upgrading to SSDs did) :/. BUT, where it DOES excel over the T9500, is CPU-intensive tasks like encoding, unrarring, etc etc. Huge speed difference. so I am glad for that, but disappointed that it didn't again transform my PC like I was hoping it would like the SSDs. but it also does seem to add a layer of just general 'solidness' and stability to my insane computer-thrashing things I do on my vostro :). It's like I can punch it and before it would heave back a little but now it only flinches subtly in the face of what I do to it :).

so all in all, worth it.

6. merlin7777777

merlin7777777 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow - brilliant thread, thanks.

a few years ago i upgraded my 1720 from the shipped 2gb to 4gb with this crucial kit:

Part Number: CT2KIT25664AC800
    Module Size: 4GB kit (2GBx2)
    Package: 200-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
    Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 •

i have 2 questions you guys might be able to help with:

1- if i upgrade to 6gb will i notice a difference? i'm using vista 32bit, other parts are standard except i just changed to a b/g/n wireless card and i've just ordered an Intel Turbo Memory Card - Flash memory module - 4 GB
    2 - what memory would i need and in which slot? I'm guessing i keep one of the 2gb sticks and add a 4gb but which one and into which slot?

this is the only thing i can find which seems to be the same type on the crucial website:

Part Number: CT51264AC800
    Module Size: 4GB
    Package: 200-pin SODIMM
    Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
    Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 • CL=6 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-800 • 1.8V • 512Meg x 64 •

would that be ok or do you know of any other suppliers (especially if they're cheaper!)

thanks IA

7. Apollo13

Reputations:
    With 32-bit Windows, 4 GB is the maximum you'll be able to use. You'll have to upgrade to 64-bit Windows to be able to use any more memory. As for whether you'd notice it then, it depends on if you're already using all you have. Leave Task Manager up all day, and see what the peak memory usage is. If it's not maxing out, there's no reason to buy more memory. And if you really need more memory, you'll probably know because your computer will be really slow when switching between programs.

It looks like, going by the first post, either RAM slot would work.

The best supplier will depend on what's available in your country. Any 4 GB DDR2 DIMM should work, preferably 667 MHz or more (if it's more, it will downclock to 667 MHz, so don't pay more for faster than 667 MHz). I'd check NCIX in Canada or Newegg in the U.S. to get an idea of the expected price, but I don't know where's best for other countries. Either way, it'll probably cost a lot less than getting 64-bit Windows, so I wouldn't advise upgrading unless you really need the memory.

8. JanJ

JanJ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just thought I'd do an update.... Wife & I are still using the 1720 with CPU and Ram Upgrade, and it's working Fine! Thanks again for this thread!

(Seeing that we can't get a newer laptop with W7-64, Firewire and Express slot.... We're sticking with this!)

9. JanJ

JanJ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here it is December of 2014...
    Still using this computer every day and still no problems.... I couldn't be happier!!!

10. lovethai

lovethai Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, just wanted to update some findings about my Inspiron 1720 which is now 7 years old.

After 3 years the battery stopped working completely. 1 day it held harge for 1 hour the next, it wont even last a minute. So ordered a cheap 20GBP replacement from ebay and after 4 years of use, holds charge for 2 hours
    I also upgraded RAM to 4GB, got it from Crucial UK.

I got the version with 1920x1200 display and this is much better display than on my XPS 15z laptop.
    This laptop can still play new games, i play Hearthstone on it daily and works like a charm, no overheating or throttling.

In the end this 7 year old laptop is still better than the new Acer my gf just bought last week.The only thing im missing on it is the HDMI port, but 17 inch screen is enough for watching the movies anyway.

11. Apollo13

Reputations:
    It's impressive how the hardware has held up. I was at a LAN last week, and one of my friends had a low-budget summer-2014 Toshiba laptop. Once we got into the game its frames-per-second fell to unplayable. So I got my Inspiron 1520 out of my backpack, fired it up, and it brought the frames up to acceptable levels. Turns out the 8600M GT really is noticeably more powerful than the Intel HD 2500 in real-world use.

2 hours' battery life on a 4-year-old battery is pretty good. My second battery is also about that age, but only lasts about 45 minutes.

12. JanJ

JanJ Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    March 2015.... The Old 1720 is still acting better than new....
    Ram Upgrade, CPU Upgreade from 1.83 to 2.20, software overclocked to 2.3. W7-64 and 2x Momentus XT drives... All upgrades that Dell said "Wasn't Possible"
    Considered SSD but figured the SSD Cache in Momentus XT was enough for now, seeing that 1720 doesn't fully do SATAII.
    Battery died last year.... Replaced with EBay extended battery cheaply....

I still can attach an external raid array through the ESata PCMCIA slot, and BluRay burner via Firewire...

Actually.... I couldn't be happier!!!!

And Dell said None of this is possible!!!!