1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Inspiron 1720 with 6GB RAM Tested

Discussion in 'Dell Inspiron and Dell Studio' started by SomeFormOFhuman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. SomeFormOFhuman

SomeFormOFhuman has the dumbest username.

Reputations:
    Guys, I have just added testing with VMware workstation. See it for yourself! :) It works well with XP as a host OS. Check out the main guide, scroll down...

2. PeterDw

PeterDw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Not sure what is actually happening with the ram specs from dell and intel. If the bios sees it, then the operating system should be able to see it (though not necessarily use it).

It did always strike me as odd though, that intel claim only 4gb support for the 965 mobile chipset, when it's identical to the desktop equivalent that has always supported 8gb.

Hence my comment in the other thread suggesting someone test this out properly.

I suspect that support depends on the type of sodimm rather than the size.

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    Now I want 6gb for my two laptops ...

4. MaskedMagi

MaskedMagi Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would the studio 1535 be able to take 6gb of RAM?

5. PeterDw

PeterDw Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If the inspiron can then the answer should be yes. You would need to be carefull though as it may require specific sodimm types or combinations.:eek:

6. SomeFormOFhuman

SomeFormOFhuman has the dumbest username.

Reputations:
    PeterDW, can you please elaborate on "the specific sodimm types" as you have just said?

As far as I know, it's never a matter of "SoDIMM types", rather, the BIOS itself is holding it back its capacity/usage. Standard Santa Rosa platforms/motherboard use the same fitting size as 200pin, PC2-5300 DDR2-667 counterparts. Any other size like if a PC3-5300, 204pin fix would not work, if that's what you mean.

I also don't mind testing out a different "SoDIMM type" to see if that different kind of combination still works for it. ;)

7. MrJacky

MrJacky Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    How large is your page file?

8. HUMAN2

HUMAN2 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    IF it can take 6GB then it can take 8GB(2x4GB), correct?

9. The_Snowman

The_Snowman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @ SomeFormOFhuman,

So, is this laptop still going OK? I hope so, great write up, much appreciated, I am considering this at present, depends if I can get the RAM locally or have to have it shipped in.

A more pressing upgrade for me is to install a larger HDD and Windows 7 at the same time; not even sure if that would work OK?

Would the Drive D still be recognozed by Windows 7?

I have asked about this on other threads, but if anyone reading this has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks, John

10. DR650SE

DR650SE The Whiskey Barracuda

Reputations:
    Yea, you shouldn't have any problems by going with a larger HDD. Both drives will be recognized, and I'm 95% sure his 1720 is still kicking, but I'm sure he'll be by to confirm this. I considered the 6GB, but for me it wasn't worth it. By following his guide there should be no problems. And for the HDD there shouldn't be any problem either.