Inspiron 1520 ultimate upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by TheChappie, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SomeFormOFhuman

SomeFormOFhuman has the dumbest username.

Reputations:
    8GB does not work in the 1520 FYI. It will only boot to 6GB maximum.

2. trebormint

trebormint Newbie

Reputations:
    I've upgraded to 4GB and Win 7 Ultimate on my 1520 - so much faster! A SSD drive has just been delivered today. Will let you know how much better it is once installed.

3. millermagic

millermagic Rockin the pinktop

Reputations:
    You aren't going to be able to get a new 8600 GT for it ... Best bet is to get one (or two) on eBay and see how it goes.

Since you already have the 8400, you should be able to get a card from Inspiron 1720 and swap the heat syncs!

4. sean473

sean473 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    1. I would advise that u upgrade CPU to T9300... its way cheaper than T9500 and only 0.2GHz slower... not much difference... don't try X9000 as u might get a lot of overheating problems and i personally know of 1 guy who wrecked the whole notebook due to overheating problems when he installed a X7900 in a M1530...

2. SSD Upgrade should be great but depends on what SSD u have? BTW what SSD did u get?

3. As far as i know for this laptop series , 6GB is Max but 4GB should be enough.

4. For a graphics card upgrade, i would just save ur cash and get the DIY Vidock external graphics solution.. it would be a super upgrade for ur graphics.... and it works with inspiron as far as i know

link here : http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=418851

5. TheChappie

TheChappie Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    As this is only a temporary (year max) solution, the vidock isn't for me, but it is a brilliant idea. I think I might do the T9300 after doing further research as well, seems to make more sense.

6. Liquidx

Liquidx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright, I know this is a year old post, but I just want to thank everyone that contributed to it. I have had my 1520 upgraded to 4GB and a 320 GB 7200RPM Hitachi drive for a while, thinking that was all I could do. I have now decided to squeeze a little more life out of this thing (hopefully another year) and throw a T9300 processor in it, and possibly a SSD drive, but I am not sure if I want to do that or not. They are still very pricey, and while I would pull it and throw it in my next laptop if i buy one. The fast ones are still over $500... I may also get a USB 3.0 express card, since my external drive has the capability if I buy it another dock attachment, which I already priced and is about $35 on ebay.

Now since it is over a year old, anyone have any other possible ideas for the upgrading of the 1520 series?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.