1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Inside the L702x FHD 3D 1080p Display Panel Assembly

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Scott_RC-TEK, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Scott_RC-TEK

Scott_RC-TEK Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Since there are many questions being asked about the L702x FHD display, I thought I would share with you what makes this beautiful new Dell display tick. I will add more pictures as I edit them, but for now I submit the following for your review.

I hope this helps you become more aware of the technology within the L702x.

[​IMG]

The panel itself is a LP173WF2 (TP)(A1) [see basic specs below], which performance wise in 2D is on par with the AU Optronics B173HW01 v.4. In other words, it is a very nice panel that is sharp and bright and offers above average viewing angles. I cannot test 3D performance yet as I am still waiting on the 3D glasses like many others.

Although 1mm or so thicker, the physical panel will work as a direct fit for the Dell 1747/49 and L701x and looks to use the same standard 40pin connector. The LVDS cable looks similar as well to the other Dell 17" system cables, but this specific cable has the additional 3D/IR lead. If no 3D is used or needed, it looks like a standard L701x LVDS cable could be used for both 900p and 1080p use.

The 8bit IR module at the base is interesting and in theory could support other IR functions in addition to the 3D glasses.

More data/pics to follow-

Regards,
    Scott

LP173WF2 TP A1 General Info:
    Place of Origin: S. Korea
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Panel Type: TFT
    Widescreen: Yes
    Screen Size: 17.3"
    Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
    Response Time: 2ms <<<< Good for 3D
    Brightness: 500cd/m
    Interface Type: 50pin LVDS
    Resolution: Full-HD
    Finish: GLOSSY
    Lamp: LED

2. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Here is a view of what is behind the panel along with the part numbers of the casing and LVDS cable. Note the cable says 50-pin. This is the 3D display LVDS cable. To confirm, the panel uses a 50-pin connector.
    Scott-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    The pictures below show the 3D glasses IR module both with the bezel on and off. I can't wait to see if there are some other uses for this IR port in addition to the glasses. Hmmmmmm.....<thinking> ;)

Scott-
    :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. nancoder

nancoder Newbie

Reputations:
    Wow, I was waiting some info and pics about the display. Could you upload some pics of the viewing angles? Thank you!! :)

5. smokingkid

smokingkid Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Awesome thread Scott :) did you have any sure news about the L702x's 900p screen swapping (with the AUO B17HW01 v4)?

6. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Yes, looks GOOD TO GO on this end. :cool: :D

Scott-

7. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Interesting... it seems the LP173WF2 shows up as a LGD02C5 in the hardware string. Below, is the info as SIW sees it.

Scott

[​IMG]

8. RedlanceEQ

RedlanceEQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Great info there, thanks Scott!

On the other hand, if you want to upgrade your L701x with such panel and have the 3D, you'll have to change the front bezel too.

9. Comrade Ynot

Comrade Ynot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Wow, very cool. Thanks for the amazing photos and info.

10. mkj

mkj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Scott, first off, thanks for the thread and all. I have some comments/questions...

That's quite an optimistic comparison :) Unfortunately I had no luck finding any datasheet for the LG panel, but one thing I know is that it has a color gamut of 72%, while the AUO panel (being B+RGLED or RGBLED, not sure) has 90%...

Does that mean we only need the glasses and can skip the USB IR emitter? I have no idea, what Dell ships, but apparently these are sold as a kit or separately.

Interesting indeed. Same with B156HW01 V.7 on the L502X showing as AUO17ED...

And the GPU, right? I mean, how would you connect the 50-pin cable and/or take advantage of the 120Hz refresh rate?

11. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    All the screens have a NTSC, RGB, and Adobe color gamut rating. The AUO is rated at approx. 90%(NTSC) and this LG screen is rated at approx. 70%(NTSC). Likewise, the other ratings follow suit. In real world use, this 20% on paper difference is not going to be noticed by most people unless you have the screens setup side by side with the same color profiles. To confirm, I still love the AUO screen, but if I didn't know ahead of time, I would not be able to tell the difference between the two unless I ran some Photoshop tests. Regardless, the LG display is currently better when it comes to its higher refresh rate modes so until AUO addresses this, the LG will be fine in my very picky opinion.

The 3D glasses rely on the IR emitter as it controls the active shutter timing within the glasses. No IR emitter = no active shutter glasses = no 3D with this system. The only other logical option would be to wait until the non-glasses 3D display panels are released, which should be soon since the consumer market 3D TV's that do not require glasses are starting to pop up. As far as I know, you cannot get the Dell L702x IR emitter separately at this time. However, there may be some third party options out there.

I do not have a L702x system schematic, but the motherboard header where the LVDS cable plugs into looks to be the same in all regards on the various models. Likewise, the GPU's are the same and all can do 3D on their external HDMI 1.4 outputs. This leads me to believe the non 3D ready L702x systems may simply use the standard 40-pin LVDC cable without the IR emitter pigtail for their onboard standard displays. By replacing the LVDS cable with the 3D (50-pin) LVDS cable and adding a compatible IR emitter, there should be no reason why these systems cannot be made 3D ready once a LCD panel with a high refresh rate is also installed.

Scott

12. mkj

mkj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm afraid you missed my point. I might have misspoke, though ;)

I know that the IR emitter is required for active shutter glasses to work and NVIDIA sells their glasses bundled with an emitter, which is plugged via USB. Since L702X has a built-in emitter, I understand it is supposed to work with these glasses and therefore we don't need to purchase them with that NVIDIA emitter, correct? Glasses alone are way cheaper...

13. Scott_RC-TEK

Reputations:
    Ahhh.... OK... :p
    Yes, you are correct; the Nvidia 3D glasses should work fine with the Dell internal IR emitter.

Scott-

14. smlhoop

smlhoop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the non 3D L702x. If a screen became available on the market with the required refresh rate could I then use the Nvidia IR emitter and glasses to get the 3D experience? I assume that if this is possible I could theoretically have the L702x with 3D, Optimus and WiDi capabilities but with an external IR emitter.

15. mkj

mkj Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Sounds right... And the LP173WF2 screen seems to be available on the market, since it has been installed on Asus G73 laptops for over a year now. Note that Scott's screen was manufactured in the first week of 2010.

@DOWN: True that...

16. Sk0Ne

Sk0Ne Newbie

Reputations:
    I doubt it, your notebook has NVIDIA Optimus, which screws it all up :)
    The way it works is that your dGPU sends the image TROUGH the iGPU's, which isn't 3D capable.

17. RedlanceEQ

RedlanceEQ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I do not think so really. The L701x GPU is advertised as being 3D ready and can send the proper signal to an external 3D TV. I do not see why it cannot do the same to a 3D laptop screen. But again, I'm not an expert in the matter so I could be wrong.

18. smlhoop

Reputations:
    I suppose Optimus may have an adverse affect on any 3D viewing due to the lag. Could be a good experiment when I get some extra cash. Even if 3D didnt work I would still have a nice FHD screen with a high refresh rate.

19. smlhoop

Reputations:
    My L702x is capable of 3D on an external screen. I assume that that the 3D image is still sent through the iGPU?

20. barlow00

barlow00 Company Representative

Reputations:
    Hi all,

I have been following the thread and after receiving some great info from Scott (legend) have decided to post.

I am in contact with another forum member from the UK who owns a computer company. We have been discussing ways to upgrade the L701x to 3D. His name is Jon but I'm afraid I don't know his forum name as he contacted me via the Kuzotronic website, (sorry Jon, post to here if you read this so we know who you are).

Anyway, Jon is very knowledgeable on 3D and is pretty certain the L701x can be upgraded to the 3D screen.

I have also made some enquiries and I have sourced the 50-pin cable from Taiwan. Please see here

I am currently looking for the IR transmittor board and hope to have some leads shortly.

The only things missing then are the 2ms/120Mhz screen (available on the market openly) and the IR exposed bezel. Oh and the glasses of course.

As per Jon, the L701x Dell bezel could be retro-fitted with the help of a small drill, which solves that problem, or sourced directly from Dell.

Glasses can be purchased directly from NVIDIA.

Just thought I would share this with you. I'm not sure how helpful it will be or whether any L701x owners would want to attempt an upgrade???

I would go first for those who are slightly nervous..... ;)