Infected with the same virus 3 times.

Discussion in 'Security and Anti-Virus Software' started by davidt1, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidt1

davidt1 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's the one that takes over and prevents access to applications and the hard drive and tells you your computer has been infected. I have the latest MS security suites which fails to find this virus during a complete scan.

I booted in Safe Mode, but the backup software I use does not work in Safe Mode. So booting to safe mode was useless. I had to use a cloned hard drive each time.

Any free security software out there that can catch this kind of virus?

2. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Try:
    AVG Internet Security (30-Day Free) or AVG Free
    MalwareBytes

These two combined have always worked excellent for me.

Let us know the results and if still have issues, I'm sure other posters will have additional freeware that may help.

Worst case scenario is you'll have to reformat. If that's the case, I suggest using from the start: AVG, MalwareBytes, Firefox w/AdBlockPlus, NoScript, WOT and McAfee SiteAdvisor ...you can get all of them free of course. AVG-Internet Security has extra layers of protection, however it's around 20$ on Purplus for 1 year.

=)

3. olyteddy

olyteddy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Try not clicking on the stupid 'Click here to proceed' button...

4. davidt1

Reputations:
    I don't think there was any button to click. Almost happened twice again. This virus will cause Firefox to crash first, then it takes over. I have learned that if I shut off the power the moment Firefox stops working, then everything is OK.

5. maksin01

maksin01 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    +1

Against these kind of malware nothing is better than Malwarebytes' Anti-malware imo. :)

6. Baserk

Baserk Notebook user

Reputations:
    You might want to install the Firefox add-on AdBlockPlus.
    This add-on will block most ads and therefore will also block any ads that have been 'infected' with a trojan, due to a compromised/hacked ad server.

Next time when a malicious popup appears, do not shut off the power.
    Use ctrl+alt+del and then stop/kill the firefox process.

7. davidt1

Reputations:
    Installed AdBlockPlus. It works. Thanks for the suggestions.

8. Voodooi

Voodooi AFK for a while...

Reputations:
    Don't forget NoScript, McAfee SiteAdvisor and WOT ...with Firefox.

Even if it "works again", the virus is still there.

At least try what I suggested or it's only a matter of time until your personal information is stolen. ;) AVG-Free and Malwarebytes takes 5 minutes to install/update. Then you can scan using both and find the culprit.

9. gerryf19

gerryf19 I am the walrus

Reputations:
    These fly by infections you are experience are almost always easy to remove.

Antivirus programs don't do it because the fileis randomly named--an antivirus program works mostly on definitions--if a randomly named file is not in the AV program definition database, it will not be removed.

Most have heuristic detection, but once you are infected, these fly by infections typically load before the AV and disable them.

So, the solution is: system restore.

All of these programs no matter what they are have to start. System Restore will set your computer back to a time before the malware inserted itself into your startup routine, thus, once you reboot from a system restore the malware will not be running.

This works in at least 90 percent of the cases.

Now, a couple of the worst ones actually disable system restore, and a few will lay a rootkit on your drive, but these are relatively few in number. I have restored many machines simply by running system restore.

If you check your running processes before running system restore, you can usually determine where the offending malware is located, which are in a handful of places.

After system restore, you can go in and delete the offending files.

In case I have not made this clear: SYSTEM RESTORE is your friend. Do not turn it off. I will from time to time run into someone who disabled it because it was using too much harddrive space and that makes repairing these things a more complicated process, but for most people system restore is your first course of action.

10. flipfire

flipfire Moderately Boss

Reputations:
    +1 System restore works quite well for this type for virus.

Ive had a few computers in the office get infected by it and i just do a system restore.

I agree with do NOT disable system restore or shadow copy. It will save you from one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.