Inexpensive phone-like 5 inch tablet?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets' started by HTWingNut, Dec 13, 2017.

1. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    My kids are too young to have phones, and they already have a 10 inch Android tablet. But they really like Virtual Reality and I don't want them using my Samsung phone for it all the time.

Are there any relatively inexpensive solutions for doing VR, as in 5 inch form factor tablets and VR headsets that accept them? I wanted to get something like that for them for Christmas. I'd really like to not spend more than $100 on it if I don't have to. But am willing to go a little higher if it's decent.

Even the older Samsung S5 and S6 phones are quite pricey just to buy as a tablet.

I'd be really surprised if something like this doesn't exist. Seems like it would be a hot seller for an ~$100 small smartphone sized tablet with a headset. Maybe I need to start a kickstarter if no such thing exists! :p

Thanks.

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    For VR you would need a higher than 1080p resolution phone, so not sure if there are $100 options for that.

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Standalone VR headsets, such as the HTC Vive Focus, are finally starting to make an appearance. If your kids are currently enjoying high-end, Vulkan-based VR, a budget phone isn't an option due to minimum requirements.
    Actually, the Pixel 2 is just PenTile 1080p and runs Daydream, but OLED, Snapdragon 810 or above, and Android Nougat or later are official requirements. Display requirements are easily bypassed on a rooted phone, but may result in a less than stellar experience. Only older Cardboard apps can be run on inexpensive phones.

4. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    Moto G5 with Google Cardboard?

5. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    It seems I can find refurbished 64GB Samsung Galaxy S6 for around $150. If I were to use them just as a tablet, does it need to be an "unlocked" phone? I don't plan on adding any celluar service, just wi-fi.

6. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Unlocked lg g3 or g4. Nuff said

7. JRE84

JRE84 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    they have the Quad HD displays the G4 has the quantum. So you'll get more Vivid colors the G3 is a little bit cheaper but maybe it's worth going for the G4 as the screen is amazing and the VR experience is incredible little or no screen door effect

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Thanks. LG G3 and G4 prices don't seem to differ a whole lot. For kids, screen door doesn't matter so much. If it was a lot cheaper I might go for G3, but seems not much price difference. Any reason not the Galaxy S6?

Vasudev likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, if you are not connecting them through a wireless provider, you do not have to unlock them. Only if you want to fire them on a network. I was going to suggest this very thing.

10. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Thanks I found G4 rather inexpensive on eBay. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Doesn't need to be "unlocked" model if I just want to use Wi-fi.