[India] M18xR2 or ALIENWARE 17 ??

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by brajesh143, Oct 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My current laptop is alienware m17xr4 with gtx 675m with 3d vision display,
    gtx 675m is losing is power in latest games,
    hence planning to sell it..already got a buyer for it,
    i have an option to buy alienware 17(used) or m18r2(used) both at same price,
    alienware 17 is gtx 765m obviously with 3dvision (havent asked though cause all 17 has 3dvision display),
    m18r2 has one gtx 680m and no 3d vision ( why the hell their flagship laptop doesnt have 3d and 17 does have ??)
    total cost for me after selling my m17xr4 is 165$ for both alienware 17 and m18xr2,
    From my experience i totally loved 3d movies and playing some low graphic games in 3d,
    so should i sacrifice 3d and go for m18xr2 or sacrifice horse power and go with alienware 17 ??
    is there any way to watch movies and play games in 3d in m18xr2 ??
    if not wat is the cheapest compatible external monitor for m18xr2 where i can play and watch in 3d ??

Am from india and alienware 18 is not yet launched here.

2. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox BGA Filth-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    Unless you're really, really addicted to 3D for some strange reason, the M18xR2 is the far better choice... no contest at all. It is constructed better (metal versus plastic) and its performance with 680M SLI will utterly annihilate that smaller machine with just one remarkably weaker GPU.

The downside to the 3D is if you have any reason whatsoever to care about running on battery, there is no Intel IGFX available. You'll have hardly any battery run time compared to more than 5 hours [see example] on the M18xR2 running on IGFX.

Rotary Heart likes this.
  3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    I would just wait for the Alienware 18 or upgrade your M17x R4. You're not missing out on anything.

4. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    You won't be missing anything if all you are planning on is playing games, that's for sure. The 18 does a super nice job of that. It's a really fantastic gaming machine.

If you want to get involved with extreme performance, the 18 has been crippled on purpose and won't quite cut it where extreme performance is concerned. If that's the case, then grab that R2, drop an XM and 980M SLI into it with a dual PSU mod and you'll have an Alienware 18 butt-kicker on your hands. No need to wait if you want the best product Alienware has ever made in a laptop, because the M18xR2 is the beastmaster of all Alienware beasts.

I wouldn't trade my M18xR2 for two Alienware 18. In fact, I don't even think I would trade my M18xR1 for two of them.

deadsmiley, reborn2003 and Ferris23 like this.
  5. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yes i dont want to miss my 3d vision....tat said upgrading cpu and gtx 980m is kind of far fetched in india....lol even gtx 680m is not available for sale in ebay if i have to buy it from ebay abroad i have to pay the same amount as custom duties(sucks big time !) imagine 800 $ for a single gtx 680m!!
    Regarding battery life i get around 1 hour in power saver mode with 3dvision disabled in my m17xr4 so dont worry much about battery life

6. brajesh143

brajesh143 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ya upgrading my current m17xr4 is most economical and better
    Here is wat in my mind am gonna buy the M18xR2 take down the gtx 680m put it in my m17xr4 and take the gtx 675m put it in M18xR2 and sell the M18xR2
    So total cost for me after selling it will amount to around 165 $
    In this way I will still have 3dvision rite??
    Wat are your thoughts??

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    Sounds like a plan. I think we take a lot for granted in the US and Canada, UK and Australia. We all have much better and easier access to great computer components and better prices compared to many other countries.

brajesh143 likes this.
  8. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yeah, the 680M is compatible with 3D. The 780M works in the R4 as well - it has more cores, more VRAM, and better overall performance.

Does the M18x R2 you want to buy have 680M SLI? If it's a single GTX 680M, you may as well just upgrade the M17x R4. Although, purchasing an M18x R2, swapping GPU's, then selling it seems like a lot of trouble. You should look on eBay at the GTX 680M's that ship worldwide. You can make offers for around $400 on eBay, like here: NVIDIA GeForce Dell GTX 680M 2GB DDR5 for Clevo Alienware Upgrademonkey | eBay

9. Ashtrix

Ashtrix ψυχή υπεροχή

Reputations:

Hello Mr.Fox, Can I know what are the factors made that M18x R2 The Beastmaster of all machines from AW...?
    Thanks !!

10. dandan112988

dandan112988 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Most features. Good battery life, most powerful cpu without issues and can accept current Gen gpus to make it the best system still out. Also, has the most storage options. 3 hard drives 1 msata and 1 in the DVD bay if you wanted. Best cooling too. Removable battery so you can carry a spare like I do. Media bar on the keyboard bezel more ports.. the list goes on. The new 18s have s horribly trimmed down design of the former. It sucks.

Ashtrix likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.